1971 Demon 340/416 727 B5 Blue

-

71Demon340

Banned
Reaction score
I have my dad's 71 Demon 340 that he bought new. I have the build sheet, a QC card that I found under the carpet, and just the other day I found the original contract from the bank when he bought the car, and the payment book, $99 bucks per month. Plus I found all kinds of receipts for performance parts and stuff. One receipt was for headers dated less than two weeks after he bought the car. He had done some pretty good mods for a poor boy in that era. It had a pretty radical cam, Tarantula intake, headers, 4.56 gears, performance ignition, traction bars, snubber, electric fuel pump. I found a time slip for the Golden Triangle Dragstrip in Beaumont, TX with a best time of 13.97 which was pretty good for a street car in 1971. My dad drove the car till 1981 when he pulled the engine and never rebuilt it, hard times I guess. But he never got rid of it, even when people offered to buy it and he probably could have used the money. I took the car from him in 2005 and started working to restore it. It was still in great shape despite having been stored under a carport with a dirt floor for the past 15 years. There was no significant rust on the floor pans or anywhere that warranted replacement. Then along cam Hurricane Rita in Sept 05. She did a pretty good number on the car, but I was lucky it wasn't worse. I finally got the body/paint finished in Jan 08 and have the long block almost completed. Now its just the tedious part of reassembly. The Demon will now sport a 416 stroker with the original block and original drivetrain. Most of the interior is original, not even recovered, just new carpet and headliner. Its the factory B5 blue with black accents. My dad special ordered it with no side stripes or spoiler, which I kind of like. Hopefully the car will be on the road late this summer. Attached are some pics of when I first got the car.

IM000265-SM.JPG

IM000261-SM.JPG

IM000262-SM.JPG

IM000270-SM.JPG

Here some pics of the hurricane damage. I paid a hefty price for that darn crane. Its rediculous how much price gouging goes on during a disaster situation. But I didn't want to chance damaging the car anymore but trying to cut the tree while it was still on the carport.

DSC00155-SM.JPG

DSC00110-SM.JPG

DSC00114-SM.JPG

DSC00118-SM.JPG

DSC00194-SM.JPG

DSC00200-SM.JPG

Dang!
That is just about the most sad thing I have seen in a long time.
Post some current shots where I can quit crying like a little girl.

damn demon. i am glad that you were able to get that thing fixed. i cant wait to see the rest of the pics.

I jumped the gun a little. These pics are from before the hurricane, when I was disassembling the car. Take a look at those awesome rallye gauges. Not even a crack in the pad. Now pretty much destroyed. Bummer.

IM000564-SM.JPG

IM000568-SM.JPG

IM000548-SM.JPG

IM000554-SM.JPG

IM000600-SM.JPG

IM000601-SM.JPG

IM000602-SM.JPG

IM000604-SM.JPG

IM000605-SM.JPG

IM000609-SM.JPG

Finally back from Paint. That's the wife's SRT-8 Charger in the background. I call it the 425hp grocery getter.

DSC00483-SM.JPG

DSC00487-SM.JPG

DSC00493-SM.JPG

P1031599-SM.JPG

P1031602-SM.JPG

P1031605-SM.JPG

P1031607-SM.JPG

P103160-SM1.JPG

P1031612-SM.JPG

P1031613-SM.JPG

Looks great! Glad you were able to get it fixed after the building fell on it.

Oh man, that poor Demon. It's really coming back together nicely, though. The paint looks fantastic. Well done!

Wow,that car really is looking great after what it has been through. Keep up the good work!

John

How about some update on the Demon. My past emails show those pics you posted are over 4 months old. Lets see whats going on. lol...

Well I haven't updated this thread in quite some time so here's the latest.

My rallye cluster and dash frame got trashed during the hurricane. I was able to get a good frame and a decent cluster off ebay. The cluster I got was not the same as mine. It had a thumbwheel radio and AC, whereas I only had a heater and a round radio knobs. So I had to Frankenstein them together. I cut the whole bottom from my original below the horizontal line from the right end by the glove box all the way to the gauge. I then grafted it onto the ebay cluster. I then cut out the AC trim plate and grafted in my heater trim plate. Then painted and did some carbon fiber vinyl. Also had to use the circuit board and other parts from the ebay cluster because my circuit board was bad. Anyway here it is. I think it turned out pretty good for a DIY, not perfect though.

Also got the motor and tranny in recently. I still need to order pushrods. That's why the valve covers are off, plus I had them and the intake blasted. I'll post some pics later of the clean covers and intake sitting on the engine.

DSC01103Sm.jpg

DSC00616Sm.jpg

DSC00857Sm.jpg

DSC00858Sm.jpg

DSC01107Sm.jpg

DSC01108Sm.jpg

-
Back