1973 Duster 340 Clone, Whats it Worth

-
The fact that this could be a 71 340 seems to make it more desirable to me, should I add that into the equation? I feel bad that I made the error in judgment and told the guy that it was not a 71 motor. I called him and apologized for what might be a mistake.

The '71 340 part should mean it has a steel crank in it and higher compression than a later 340 if its stock. But if its been rebuilt then it may not have the steel crank still, and of course the compression was set by the details of the rebuild. As far as the engine "matching" the rest of the clone, it means nothing. Far too many '73 parts still on that car. It'd be worth more out of the car than a '73 340, but it really doesn't add value to that car as a whole.

Honestly, it would probably be worth more with a date correct '73 340 if the rest of the car was still a '73.

Sure, but then why bother deleting the marker lights? '72 fenders are harder to find since they're one year only, and the OP said it was a '71 donor car anyway.

I should have phrased that differently. Instead of "Could have" (which made it sound like there was '72 fenders under the paint and body work) I should have used "Should have" to imply that the guy who converted it should have used '72 Fenders to avoid deleting the lights.

I should have phrased that differently. Instead of "Could have" (which made it sound like there was '72 fenders under the paint and body work) I should have used "Should have" to imply that the guy who converted it should have used '72 Fenders to avoid deleting the lights.

Understood, again, I'm not a purist and would be open to installing some type of after market lights as long as the wiring was still intact. Does anyone know of after market lights that would require minimal drilling and present a natural appearance?

Understood, again, I'm not a purist and would be open to installing some type of after market lights as long as the wiring was still intact. Does anyone know of after market lights that would require minimal drilling and present a natural appearance?

No safety inspection where I live so lack of marker lights would not be an issue here....

The '72+ markers wouldn't be all that hard, and they would appear as "natural" as the stock ones did. They also cover quite a bit more area than the hole, so as long as it wasn't totally botched the marker should cover any flaws. Plus, they'd be "correct" for the inspection.

Easiest would be the little markers off a '68. But I don't know if that would be good enough for your inspection.

Attachments

• 163-SR.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 95
The '72+ markers wouldn't be all that hard, and they would appear as "natural" as the stock ones did. They also cover quite a bit more area than the hole, so as long as it wasn't totally botched the marker should cover any flaws. Plus, they'd be "correct" for the inspection.

Easiest would be the little markers off a '68. But I don't know if that would be good enough for your inspection.

The '68 Side Markers would be fine for passing PA State Inspection.

PA doesn't give a crap if the parts are original (or even for a Mopar, he could use ford lights and they wouldn't care) as long as they function properly.

The only time he would have to worry about originality, is if he wanted to tag it as a Classic/Antique vehicle. Those applications go through a screening, sometimes they nitpick, other times they don't notice mods

The '68 Side Markers would be fine for passing PA State Inspection.

PA doesn't give a crap if the parts are original (or even for a Mopar, he could use ford lights and they wouldn't care) as long as they function properly.

The only time he would have to worry about originality, is if he wanted to tag it as a Classic/Antique vehicle. Those applications go through a screening, sometimes they nitpick, other times they don't notice mods

Well if that's the case the '68 side markers would be by far the easiest, they just need a single round hole to mount. And at least they're still mopar.

Again, thanks to all for the great input, helped alot. My search continues and my pain and suffering is over related to this car because it got sold to someone else.

-
Back