1973 Duster 340 Clone, Whats it Worth

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello all,
I need you opinions quick before I pull the trigger. In your opinion what is this car worth. Details: 1973 Duster with 340 (from a 71 donor)(clone), 4bbl, 727 Auto, 8 ¾ (don’t know the gear), Pwr Steering, front disk brakes, Original interior with some seems giving way on the front bucket seats. That’s all the info I have so please provide the best feedback you can based off that, thanks.
Duster_71

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 539
  • photo19.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 527
  • photo3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 528
  • photo6.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 542
  • photo1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 528
  • photo15.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 567
  • photo12.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 540
  • photo21.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 511
  • photo16.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 485
Impossible to put a price on it without seeing it. Its more like what is it worth to you ?

So that's a 73 with an older front clip and tail light panel?

Pics look nice but you would have to see it in person to really tell how it's put together.

Is it using the 73 doors or earlier ones?

You sure it isn't just a vin swap for a car that had no title or something?

So that's a 73 with an older front clip and tail light panel?

Pics look nice but you would have to see it in person to really tell how it's put together.

Is it using the 73 doors or earlier ones?

You sure it isn't just a vin swap for a car that had no title or something?

VIN matches the # on the Rad Support so I believe it is clean for the title. It was a slant 6 car converted. looks like every thing was changed over except for the K frame, used the motor mount adapter kit for the 340.. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. I could see that the 340 was a 1973 instead of the 1971 the owner thought it was. could this thing be worth 11k?

I like the center console thats in it! That is a preety cool idea

I like the center console thats in it! That is a preety cool idea

It's an E-Body Console, they work great in an A-Body in both Auto & 4-Speeds

My dad put one in my '73 (was his first car, bought it in '76) sometime in mid-late 70's.

HAHAHA didn't even notice that was a B body console, guess I am used to being in my dads 1974 roadrunner. The side markers have been deleted as well, the interior looks to be all 1973 cant tell if the buckets have hard backs on them or not, but the upper rear panels and doors look to be 73-76. I would say that car would be worth any where from 14,000 to 25,000

7k flat.

maybe 10-12k if the paint is perfect and the engine is recently rebuilt.

you will need to buy new seat upholstry from legendary and install that. $$$

how's the headliner?

even all original 340 duster in pristine shape is not worth 25k lol

Has early heater controls in the dash also. 73 would have the up/down fan control switch and not the thumbwheel.

Nice car. Having said that, its worth as much as you want to pay. Personally, if your looking to sell it later and make "most" of your money back, it has too many things that dont match a 73. If it had a title to an earlier model that matches fenders, front end, grill, and tail panel, it might be worth it. Just depends on what you want to do with it. Earlier models of duster, with original drivelines, seem to bring more.
And without checking it out in person, you cant tell how much bodywork was under the new paint job. Just makes you wonder if the reason it has a 73 title, and earlier panels on the car...?
Just my 2¢

7k flat.

maybe 10-12k if the paint is perfect and the engine is recently rebuilt.

you will need to buy new seat upholstry from legendary and install that. $$$

how's the headliner?

even all original 340 duster in pristine shape is not worth 25k lol

He is started at 13.5k and has dropped to 11.5k, I'm torn. It looks good but I can see some filler along the lower body seems but the metal looks straight and feel smooth. Paint is 9 years old with no bubbles and one or two minor blemishes. I was thinking about offering 10k. Does it matter that the side marker lights are not there? I'm in PA and don't know if that would be a problem for inspection. Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• 100_2089.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_2090.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 100_2088.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 452
  • 100_2093.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 438
  • 100_2092.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 433
Personally I would pass on it. Save my 10K for a real 340 car. To much body work done on that one with the marker lights being filled and the tail panel changed.

man i don't know. 10K is a lot of money for that car in my opinion. its a bastard car. who knows who did the work and if it was properly done. you see filler, from the pic of the rocker panel there is a ton of orange peel. looks like a cheap paint job.. and in the end its still a sant 6 car..

i'd say $5000-$6000 max.

yeah. reason i went with 7k is because it has the '70-'71 taillights, which many prefer, and is running, and has decent paint, etc. definitely a driver, and with some tlc (read that as time & $$$) it could be made nicer.

it's not a hunk of junk but it's also not a show stopper. it's not all apart in pieces, but it also needs some work. but it doesnt need as much work as some of the ones i've seen.

It very well could be a hunk of junk under that red paint. I had a nice Chevelle come in to the shop I was working at to fix a bubble in the 1/4. It ended up with 2 new quarters, , patches in the doors, new hood, new fenders and a $10,000 bill. I dont think I would ever buy a car that was just painted without a bunch of pictures to back up the work.

yeah. reason i went with 7k is because it has the '70-'71 taillights, which many prefer, and is running, and has decent paint, etc. definitely a driver, and with some tlc (read that as time & $$$) it could be made nicer.

it's not a hunk of junk but it's also not a show stopper. it's not all apart in pieces, but it also needs some work. but it doesnt need as much work as some of the ones i've seen.

Originally, the owner said it was a 340 out of a 71 Demon and when I crawled under it I seen the casting # ending in 340-3, I told the guy that there was no way that 340 was originally out of a 71 Demon and he said at least it’s a 340. I don’t think he knows the difference between the motors.

It very well could be a hunk of junk under that red paint. I had a nice Chevelle come in to the shop I was working at to fix a bubble in the 1/4. It ended up with 2 new quarters, , patches in the doors, new hood, new fenders and a $10,000 bill. I dont think I would ever buy a car that was just painted without a bunch of pictures to back up the work.

In your opinion, to do it right, how much does replacing rocker panels and lower rear quarters run? I looked under the car pretty good and the floor pans and frame looked solid (no restro work). If I look at the car again what should I pay more attention to?

Its hard to say what it would cost. Rust repair gets expensive fast which is why I bought a car from California. If it needs 1/4 and rockers, It may need outer wheel wells too. Also check were the trunk extensions meet the 1/4s, If it needs lower 1/4s it probably needs trunk extensions also. Now your painting the entire back half of the car. I would also take a good look at how they filled the side marker lights.

What carb is in the 340. The valve covers and exhaust look like 70 or early and the carb looks to be a AVS which would also be 70 or earlier.

Originally, the owner said it was a 340 out of a 71 Demon and when I crawled under it I seen the casting # ending in 340-3, I told the guy that there was no way that 340 was originally out of a 71 Demon and he said at least it’s a 340. I don’t think he knows the difference between the motors.

That "340-3" number denotes a 340 ci motor with a "3" casting quality. The casting quality is the last digit and is rated between "1" and "8", with "1" being the best casting quality with low porosity. It very well could be out of a 1971. You would need to check the rest of the numbers.

That "340-3" number denotes a 340 ci motor with a "3" casting quality. The casting quality is the last digit and is rated between "1" and "8", with "1" being the best casting quality with low porosity. It very well could be out of a 1971. You would need to check the rest of the numbers.

I'm learning every day; always thought the last number represented the year of the cast, thanks. So, here is the cast # 2780930-340-3, can you help with that? (thanks)

Its hard to say what it would cost. Rust repair gets expensive fast which is why I bought a car from California. If it needs 1/4 and rockers, It may need outer wheel wells too. Also check were the trunk extensions meet the 1/4s, If it needs lower 1/4s it probably needs trunk extensions also. Now your painting the entire back half of the car. I would also take a good look at how they filled the side marker lights.

What carb is in the 340. The valve covers and exhaust look like 70 or early and the carb looks to be a AVS which would also be 70 or earlier.

The trunk extensions looked solid with no visible signs of rot (no recent visual resurfacing) at the lower junction and the wheel wells look solid and intact.

-
Back