1973 Duster

-
Andrew, I like like that whole mad Max look that you have going on I just do not know how that spoiler would look on my car. Is it mounted to the bumper or the radiator support.

Eric, the only problem with Spoilers by Randy is that it mount to tabs on the Radiator that 1. I do not have, and 2. I would have covered over with my radiator support anyways.
I want a spoiler than mounts to the bumper so it will hide that K-member and radiator support look.

I know silly since it will only be 3 inches of the ground but I am just looking for something different.

I think my problem is that I see the car on a lift everyday so I can see the bottom of the front of the car very well. On the ground it is not that noticeable but I want it either way..

Still looking I guess.

Its mounted to the the bumper supports/brackets by means of long pieces of sheet metal C channel. The pic is of the air intake the spoiler feeds.
Andrew

Attachments

• Front Air Intake.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 713
So Andrew,

I guess the million dollar question is; is it plastic or metal and did you make it or did someone else make it?

I made it out of 20Ga sheet metal and I copied the lines off of the flipped bumper. I wanted something that went full width and was functional. The original Missile got "floaty" at 115mph because of the aiur getting under the car. Now that air will cool all the stuff in front of and below the radiator. ie. the AC and oil cooler.
Andrew

Attachments

• spoiler 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 717
Ok guys I am off to New York for two weeks, but when I get back I am striving to get her started and road capable.
If I see anything worth viewing I will post it for all of you.

Hey Andrew If you read this how would you like to make me a chin spoiler for my car. With the bumper sitting the correct way that is. I like the look of yours.

Btw I have been working on the car and will take some pics hopefully tomorrow and post them. I know everyone probably though I was dead. Not dead just not taking pictures.

Sorry will get on it soon.

Btw I have been working on the car and will take some pics hopefully tomorrow and post them. I know everyone probably though I was dead. Not dead just not taking pictures.

Sorry will get on it soon.

That's good, I thought you was dead.

So It seems like I have been doing a lot but putting it in pictures it does not seem to look like a lot.

This is the A/C cooler and the lines
View attachment Duster 7_23 001.jpg
this is the over flow tank that I worked into around the A/C hoses
View attachment Duster 7_23 002.jpg
I want the bumper closer to the fender but I already tucked the bumper in about half an inch, now if I shorten it 1/4 an inch I am trying to see if all the work will be worth the look

View attachment Duster 7_23 003.jpg
fuel lines are going in in the trunk now just have to connect to the line under the car
View attachment Duster 7_23 006.jpg
I think I am going to leave the battery box here
View attachment Duster 7_23 007.jpg

View attachment Duster 7_23 008.jpg

View attachment Duster 7_23 010.jpg
This is what I have been spending all my time doing Wiring I hate wiring, but I think I have everything hooked up to be able to start the car, minus the guages which I will need before starting.
View attachment Duster 7_23 011.jpg
Did you notice the box on the right that is a gun box I am trying to work into the car somewhere.

One more thing what does everyone think about running the A/C line in the shock support. I cannot believe I spent hours to run the A/C lines and hide them so the engine compartment is as clean as possible.View attachment Duster 7_23 013.jpg

The really big line is run behind the motor barely and then through the other shock support like this one.

One more thing what does everyone think about running the A/C line in the shock support. I cannot believe I spent hours to run the A/C lines and hide them so the engine compartment is as clean as possible.View attachment 1714525939

The really big line is run behind the motor barely and then through the other shock support like this one.

I would definitely put some grommets in the holes to prevent chafing.

Maybe some of that plastic wire wrap for protection as well? Rubber brake lines do OK out there, just not sure how the ac lines will survive.

Tim the easy way to get rid of the license plate area is to get a second bumper and use sections of it, if you dont have a metal roller and brake.
Andrew

Attachments

• front bumper 7.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 593
  • front bumper 6.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 586
  • front bumper 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 586
So it was 105 in my area and after much though I went to a car show with the wife, there I found out that they had a "under construction" class and I though why not so I rented a u-haul trailer and loaded the car on it and took it on a maiden voyage (be it on a trailer) to the show.

I won a trophy for best in class so I was happy because it was a lot of work to get my car (not running) onto the trailer.

I did finally get the car to settle the suspension and realized it is sitting way to low. So I need to crank up the front end and adjust a few things, but the key thing is that it made it there and back at highway speed and nothing fell off.

At least nothing I have noticed yet, and yea I got my first trophy for the car, hopefully the first of many.

And by the way sorry I have not posted for a while School and work is killing me right now but three more months and I will have my Bachelors and I will be done with school for a while, well until I start my DBA masters program.

Wow it has been so long since I posted here everyone probably though I was dead and buried, but I am not just been working like crazy and have not had very much extra time to work on my car..

I did get to work on it for about 3 hours this weekend and I actually got it started for about 40 seconds. I did not want to run it any longer because the trans line started leaking (seems there is an issue with my new trans cooler so back it went) and my Radiator was not hooked up, neither was the exhaust so it was loud, but it sounded great.

When I get a new trans cooler and a few Radiator hoses I will make a video, but the push-to-start ignition worked great so I am happy.

Congrats on the start up. I know how big of a moment that is. Definitely would like to see a video.

Tim - which push to start system did you end up going with? What are you doing for a harness?

I got the Ididit push button system, as for the harness with having a computer car I have the complete harness minus the light system.

Well it has been some time since I have posted here, but I am still alive believe it or not.
I just ordered my gauges and my spin tech mufflers, and am trying to finalize a price for my paint job. One company wants 6500 and the other wants 3000 so I think I know which one I will be using.

Any how when it gets nice I will try to post some pics but there is not muck new to see as of today. just trying to survive and get er done, so to speak..

I would ask what the $3000.00 painter isn't doing. or leaving out. Quality isn't cheap. And cheaper isn't in most cases the best deal. Good paint better materials equals a better lasting finish. Plus maybe a warranty.

Ok so I admit I have been slipping when it comes to posting anything about the Car, but rest assured I have been working on it during my spare time. Since I am teaching at a school that has not been alot but this is what I have done and I hope to post the video when it finishes uploading.

Here is the Exhaust
View attachment duster Feb 2013 027.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 028.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 029.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 030.jpg

Here is the Outside thus far

View attachment duster Feb 2013 018.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 019.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 020.jpg

And Finally the Interior parts and motor

View attachment duster Feb 2013 021.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 022.jpg
View attachment duster Feb 2013 024.jpg

Still have to figure on the Exhaust tips but it is closer stand by for the Video. Never posted a video here so wish me luck.

Well here it is the exhaust is a little loud But hey that is the fun with it right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbY1jFFp6Jw"]1973 Duster 6.1 - YouTube[/ame]

The recording is kinda distorted but you can tell it sounds mean. Love it.
You're way ahead of me. Mine just feels like there will not be an end.
What headers? They seem to tuck up nice.

I am using the TTI headers they stick down a little but the exhaust tucks up nicely.

I need to make another video that should sound better, this was my first try at it

-
Back