2-Barrel to 4-Barrel Conversion

-
The only thing I see missing is the Mopar throttle linkage adapter bracket....don't do like the Chivy guys do and "Mickey-Mouse It".

9k=

holley20-7levergas-kickdownstud-1-jpg.1714868927

9k=

View attachment Holley20-7LeverGas-KickdownStud-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I see missing is the Mopar throttle linkage adapter bracket....don't do like the Chivy guys do and "Mickey-Mouse It".

It's a 4-speed car, so not needed I believe....Thanks

Not just for proper kickdown operation.....I think you still need it to get proper throttle geometry..ie, so the carb's 4 barrels are wide open when your foot's on the floor!

Looks good though, C!

There's still a few hurdles to overcome. I truly appreciate your help & will look further into it while it's still on the bench.

Thanks Val :)

If you need a stock 4 bbl throttle cable bracket, I have the part number handy....

Mancini Racing

MRE 0060 - Throttle cable bracket 4 bbl small block

Nevermind, I see that you have one, but I'll leave the part number up for others to reference...

Didn't take any pictures of the throttle cable bracket before 3 ears were hacked off of it :eek:ops: & I don't know what Mopar it came off of either :scratch:

Used the existing coil bracket & bolted it to the throttle bracket. I think it will work great!!

Very clever... :idea1:

You're a real fart smeller... :fart:

I mean smart feller to figure that out.... :scratch:

Looking great C! Lemme know any tricks you have up your sleeve for torqing the intake bolts beside the carb flange. I had a #$&!@# of a time!

Might be installing the intake tomorrow. I'll let you know on the torquing challenges....

Now I see what you meant about torquing the intake. Who in the heck was the engineer on that?? :violent1: :banghead:

It took a variety of wrenches, extensions etc. to get those bolts down. The most helpful tool was the old offset boxed end wrench in the pic. Was able to get a torque wrench on about 1/2 of the bolts. Hope it holds haha :)

Check out the ancient Monkey Wards torque wrench!!

p1020445-jpg.1714869067

View attachment P1020445.jpg

p1020447-jpg.1714869068

View attachment P1020447.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Torquing is very simple. Torque a few that you can get to and get a feel for it. That way, you can make a good estimate of the torque on the ones you cannot get the torque wrench on.

That's lookin real clean, btw.

Looking good! How many millions of intakes got installed without a torque wrench. Tight is good. Loose is not.

Just something I noticed in an earlier photo. Might I suggest studs to bolt the carb down. They are the best choice for threads in aluminum.

Not just for proper kickdown operation.....I think you still need it to get proper throttle geometry..ie, so the carb's 4 barrels are wide open when your foot's on the floor!

Looks good though, C!

I can hook C up if needed on the carb linkage, as I have already done a couple of them and it's not a big deal as long as the cable is low enough at the bracket.

Lookin good. :D

I guess I'm confused with the posts about the throttle bracket. Is there something wrong with the 1 that's mounted already?? :scratch:

p1020428-jpg.1714869163

View attachment P1020428.jpg

Last edited:
Just something I noticed in an earlier photo. Might I suggest studs to bolt the carb down. They are the best choice for threads in aluminum.

Yes, planning to use carb studs as soon as I can find some around here. A few of the pics were mock-up & not exactly final mounting. Thanks for mentioning it Mike :D

Lol, glad ya got the torquing. It is a bit of a challenge but I did what RRR said and got a feel for the proper.torque.
Nice job on the coil bracket too.
That throttle bracket may work. You may have to wait until install to be sure.
Nice.work C!

O:)Great thread, I am getting schooled as I am putting the same outfit on my 273. You are doing stellar work and it is fun to look at. Dont get a ticket when it is tuned and doneO:)
DR:coffee2:

I guess I'm confused with the posts about the throttle bracket. Is there something wrong with the 1 that's mounted already?? :scratch:

The deal with the throttle cable and bracket is, will the cable pull the throttle wide open or does the cable angle to the carb only pull it open so far before the cable is pulling straight away from the linkage center pivot point?

Your bracket is down pretty low and looks like it'll be fine.

Check this out.
Once the red circled spot passes the red line the travel is done and if your carb is not at wide open before that the linkage needs re angled, or an adapter bracket is needed.
Like I said though, it looks like it'll be just fine the way it is because of the bracket for the cable being as short as it is.

figure3-jpg.1714869181

View attachment Figure3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I think whet you will find is that without the throttle bracket, the cable will mount too far in towards the center f the intake and be at too much of an angle to work right. With the throttle bracket, it will move the cable out towards the valve cover and make the cable operate at more of a straight angle.

I think whet you will find is that without the throttle bracket, the cable will mount too far in towards the center f the intake and be at too much of an angle to work right. With the throttle bracket, it will move the cable out towards the valve cover and make the cable operate at more of a straight angle.

I forgot about that, and what I did to solve that was to bend the bracket out close to the valve cover.
In this case it looks like if it was bent out farther it would probably be good.

Otherwise it needs the taller bracket and the carb adapter because of the angle change.

Sound about right?

What does the famed 340 throttle cable bracket do for the problem?

-
Back