20 Muscle Cars That Made History

-
A muscle car by definition is a standard intermediate sized two door sedan with an optional performance package. Most credit the Goat with that distinction but I beg to differ.

The '55 300's were full size sedans, and while impressive with the Hemi, they don't fit the definition. IMO the first muscle car offered as a complete package of engine, drivetrain and upgraded brakes and suspension is the '56 Fury.

The standard Plymouth V8 engine was a 260ci 4bbl V8, but with the Fury you got the Canadian designed 303 4bbl, or later in the year the 303 with 2-4bbls, special air cleaners, even hotter cam, higher compression etc. became available as well. Upgraded brakes, suspension and drivetrain in a "mid-sized" car.

You also got a factory 6000 rpm tach, Fury only interior and Fury trim that set the car apart from Granny's 6 banger Plaza.

Attachments

• 1956%20Plymouth%20Fury%20Folder-04.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 96
A muscle car by definition is a standard intermediate sized two door sedan with an optional performance package. Most credit the Goat with that distinction but I beg to differ.

Me, too. The first muscle cars would be the '62 Super Stock Dodges and Plymouths, IMO. That poses a problem for the definition. The 1962 Dart 440/330 and the Fury/Belvedere/Savoy were positioned in the sales wars as full-sized cars, regular cross-shopped with the Impala and Galaxie. Were they full-sized or not? True Dodge trotted out the 880 later in the year as a full-er sized car.

Secondly, how does this definition address the 340/383/440 A-bodies, the Firebird 400s, the 302/396/427 Camaros, the FE & Boss engined Mustangs/Cougars, and the 390/401 Javelins. Are these not all muscle cars? What about the R/T Dodges, GTX, and Fairlane/Comet GT? These were hardtop and/or convertible only.

Yeah I should have just said 2dr.

GM took the mid-sized '64 LeMans 2dr, stuffed a big motor and heavy duty components in it, a separate GTO only option package of trim/interior, gave it it's own separate model designation and gets credit for having a novel idea.

IMO, Plymouth beat them to the punch by 8 years with the Fury. Just don't tell the GM guys, counseling and anti-depression drugs are probably expensive.

Yeah I should have just said 2dr.

GM took the mid-sized '64 LeMans 2dr, stuffed a big motor and heavy duty components in it, a separate GTO only option package of trim/interior, gave it it's own separate model designation and gets credit for having a novel idea.

IMO, Plymouth beat them to the punch by 8 years with the Fury. Just don't tell the GM guys, counseling and anti-depression drugs are probably expensive.

didn`t read this whole deal, but can`t believe the 68 superstock barracuda`s weren`t on it! must be G M FREAK-----------------------BOB:coffee2:

I agree with Mr 2 Darts,

The 1962 Dodge '413 Ramcharger' and 1962 Plymouth '413 Super Stock' were
unquestionably the 'first' true Musclecars.

Lighter weight, with 400+ Horsepower.

No Corvette?

Corvettes didn't get raced on the street much. If a kid could scrape up the cash for a vette he tended to treat it with a bit of respect. Kinda the same deal with the mentioned Caddy which shouldn't be on the list either.

What should be on the list is the 60's Nova and Tri-Five Chevy. Those were the cars dragging main street when I was coming of age.

-
Back