-
Status
Not open for further replies.

limelite70

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
please tell me why i went on shebay and saw a new challenger buy it now for $61,000.
we all know the window sticker price will be under $40k.
my brother in law in a psychologist. really he is.
if you buy one of these for 61k
he wants you to make an appointment to see him.

That is high, however if you gotta have it first it is going to cost some serious $$$. If you think you are going to walk into a Dodge dealer and plop down $40k and drive home your new 2008 Challenger you are horribly mistaken.

You think $61k is crazy, tune in to Barrett-Jackson in a couple of weeks when #001 goes under the gavel...

Is anyone here REALLY going to seriously consider buying one of these things ?

Invest HALF this in your Dart or Cuda ...and the car would handle better and be a bunch quicker !

Honestly? Why wouldn't you? The classic look with all the modern comforts.

I like the originals just as much as anyone here, but I sure do like the instaneous response of multi-port fuel injection and the fuel economy that can be had with it. No need to adjust the settings and tune your carb every month. Not to mention you know exactly what you are buying, a brand new car with all new parts. No possibility of getting a buggered up rattle box (well much, much less likely).
A/C, power windows, F & R power disc brakes, ABS, real defrosters, factory warranty, modern suspension, much more rigid chassis...
Plus all the small reasons you dont think about like they can idle all day long in stop and go traffic and you can hear the radio perfectly fine and it wont smell like rich/raw exhaust, modern sound deadening, updated safety features...

Come on Double D ...... all the hi-tech and modern stuff you mention is nice ... BUT you or I can have that on our .....

....... Rattle Boxes !!

:wack:
I am not trying to start anything with anyone on this forum, however I do not believe it can be done.

It would cost just as much (probably more) to get a nice solid (original panels / rust free) vintage Challenger (or any other Mopar).
Completely overhaul the engine to make it as powerful (with MPI) and retain true daily drivability/reliability.
Then you would still have to restore the entire car (body & interior) to better then new condition.
Order all the trick front and rear aftermarket suspension products, chassis bracing, and spot weld the body everywhere for stiffness/flex control, and lightweight wheels and sticky tires (which still probably can not match the new Challengers handling/chassis stiffness and most importantly ride quality).
Electronics (engine management system, sensors, transmission electronics, all the electronics needed to run the power windows, seats, door locks, mirrors, power 4-wheel disk brakes with ABS, power rack and pinion steering, large stereo... This includes higher rating alternator and larger harness wires. You also have nice bright mordern lighting systems throughout the car. Not just the headlights, tail lights, running lights, and blinkers, but also the interior lights, and gauge cluster lighting.
Overdrive transmission. Have you priced one of these kits lately?
Overhaul the A/C & heating system to perform better than they did new back then.
Still no warranty on your newly built engine or most any other installed part.
Way too many other things to list..

Sure you can throw $20k at any classic Mopar and upgrade the engine, transmission, chassis, suspension, electronics, sound deadening, and such. That leaves $20k for a solid original Mopar, full body restoration with paint, full interior restoration, finish up all the little details (trim, exhaust...) and get it running properly (dyno tuning)...
I doubt even the someone doing all the work themselves could build a vinatge Mopar that will directly compete/beat in all areas with the new Challenger for the $40k sticker price...

The problem is when your done it probably wont be a quite easy to drive, quite as reliable, handle quite as well, be quite as confortable (especially on rough roads or under hard cornering loads).

When problems arise later the new Challenger can be hooked up to professional scan tools... The vintage stuff with all the mix matched electronics will be a lot more of a pain.

Just my opinion.

A quality restored Mopar with a salvaged 5.7L HEMI with O.D. transmission and MPI, (MagnumForce, RMS, XV...) front and rear suspension kits, and the likes should bring close the Challengers $40k sticker price...

You lucky people. I'm not sure it's going to be immediately available to the European market, and even if it is, it won't be until they'll be E-baying used, and by then we'll be using rotten apple cores for fuel.

A great car, and, as Daniel says, with Warranty. It would be interesting to see how the sales figs work out against that GM product..........

Mike

I don't think you get a warranty on the SRT-8's (Challenger), that, or its much less of one than other Chrysler vehicles.

I highly doubt you'll be able to get thier flagship lifetime warranty, however there will be something that comes with it.

Yeah, I am curious to see how the sales go, or don't go. A lot of Mopar guys have been complaining over not having a performance RWD car for some time. When they introduced the Charger R/T and SRT Mopar guys whined that it had 4-doors. I prey they will all jump on the new two door RWD Challenger and make it a success, but I doubt they will. The first (and probably second, and maybe even third) year will sell great because of very limited production and not being common. It'll be interesting to see if the market for these cars holds out after 2-3 years...

The Mustang and Camaro are common houshold names and will sell even if they are junk. Remember the Mustang II and mid 80's Camaros?

I see the new Camaro being advertised everywhere in mags, commercials, movies (some already out, some coming out soon).

Just my opinion.

And THAT is noted .....

Tell you what .... a Bud of mine is looking at a 5th Ave(NOT a 20k$ value vehicle) ...and he is prepared to throw 10-15K$ at it.

And in straight-line-performance -- I will GUARANTEE that this "5th" will beat that Chally.

That is my point....and opinion.

So WHEN are you putting-down your deposit on one of these 60k+$ vehicles ??

First of all as I previously stated I am not here to fight/argue with anyone. If you want to fight join the military or a reality TV show. No need for comments that are aimed directly at other people.

Second I am not buying a new one anytime soon, but if I had my choice I'd take a 2008 over a vintage one any day of the week.

It wont take 10-15k in any RWD Mopar to beat the new Challenger in the 1/4 mile. The new Challenger isn't made to be a 1/4 mile monster. It is a semi-production car that has all the creature comforts of the modern age wrapped up in a vintage style body. Thats it.
From that stand point just about any car with 10k thrown at it will beat the Chllenger in the 1/4 mile.

You call my opinion "wack" ...and you don't want to "fight" ??.. !! ... LOL ...and I have already BEEN in the military !!

That 5th ...with the police handling package -- would do a decent job keeping-UP with that Chally on a road-course .. if not even beating it.

And I would NEVER buy a new vehicle of any sort. One of the worst "investments" anyone could possibly make !

Is anyone here REALLY going to seriously consider buying one of these things ?

Invest HALF this in your Dart or Cuda ...and the car would handle better and be a bunch quicker !

We can sit here and debate about these markups all day. There are at least 2 other topics on this forum about the Challenger and pricing in recent weeks. MOST of the people buying the new Challenger are not true Mopar people. They are the ones that are thinking of the first year model run of an extremely hyped up modern rendition of a classic muscle car as an investment. And they are only hoping to make money by spending it. Some people just have too much spare cash laying around and the dealers are STUPID if they don't take advantage of those people. As I stated in a similar post, New Shelbys (MSRP $45k) were selling for over $70k in my area. And people were dumb enough to pay it.

Wait a year or two...the pricing will come back to Earth.

And I would NEVER buy a new vehicle of any sort. One of the worst "investments" anyone could possibly make !

And I'm sure people said the same about buying a musclecar in the 60's and 70's and look at how much some of those things are worth today.

Ya never know...

I don't think you get a warranty on the SRT-8's (Challenger), that, or its much less of one than other Chrysler vehicles.

Not sure if it's the same as the other SRT8's, but my '06 Charger SRT8 came with 3 years/36 months...

I tend to agree with Dan, and like I mentioned in another thread, it's really about old school and new school.. I have both, and I love my 70 Duster, but I'd rather drive my SRT8 most times.. It really is the best of both worlds .. Very low 13's right off the showroom, but with every option available .. Add to that, that the car, even though it's heavy, handles like a dream.. They did a great job with the suspension and 20" wheels.. I can throw that thing into a corner as hard as I dare, and she stays flat as can be...It will pin you back in the seat too ...

I love the new Challenger, and wish I had enough money to add one to the stable ..

Kenny

read the dodge challenger web site,,,there were only going to produce a limited amonut of the first run of SRT/8 5000,,they now have over 6600 orders fro that car,,in aug of 08 the regular production will begin to show up at the dealers,,with other enging options,,,rumor is a 5.7 hemi challenger for around 31000.00.. the same thing happened with the mustang shelby GT500
they had a sticker of 43000.00 for a hard top,,and sold on e bay for 20 thousand over sticker,,,because of limited production,,,the 1st 3 chalenger SRT/8 are to be auctioned off,,for charity,,,let them be,,,soon regular production will resume,,prices will come down,,,and it will be a great car for the money,,,all the modern stuff,,power,handling,stopping,comfort,ac/pw ETC,, why pay 35000.00 plus for a vintage challenger,,,when you can have vintage looks,,,with all the creature comforts for less,,,and a warranty,,only thing missing on the new challenger is some chrome,,i hope to have a 5.7 challenger in my garage in the next 2/3 years,,,,if we dont embrace this car,we mopar guys have no reason to wine and cry we donyt have a rwd muscle car like the ford and GM guys do,,,,

I have to say, if they knocked 10k OFF of sticker I still would not have one. Then again, I work on new cars all day long, and there is not a car made in the last 20 years that I have any interest in. Most all new cars are made to outlive the payments and warranty by a few years at best. New tech is cool but when it breaks you better have some deeeeep pockets. I must admit, on payday I love new cars :) all of them.

Of course, I drive a 63, with points, power nothing, 70's tech brakes... The most modern thing in it is the stereo and the gauges. I do own some newer Dodges, up to 92 even, I am never opposed to a good deal :) and the wife needs something to drive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad what is still called the Chrysler company is making some sort of performance vehicle, it is just not for me. I hope it is a great success, I would love Chrysler make something new to beat up on the new crapmaros and mulestains with, but if I want to do that I'll build something.

End of rant

TopHat

I went to the dealer and asked him about the Challenger. He said that they would get a few of them, like stated before the first run are srt 8 cars 6.1 Hemi autos 5000 cars comming out in like feb or march, the next run with the models for the next year comming out in like july aug (thats what he told me) and from what ive read on the net, with different powertrain and trans options. So I asked how much are the few he is gonna get gonna be priced at? He said....whatever people will pay. I left my name like some bigshot LOL!!!! yeah call me when it comes in !!!!!

Anyone debating this subject ever get up close to one, like at the Mopar Nats, etc? THOSE THINGS ARE OBESE. There's nothing in the Who-Owns-Us-Today?-Chrysler arsenal that will push that thing around sufficiently to keep up with some of the other current offerings from Phord or GM, straight line, skid pad, or otherwise. Is anyone really paying attention to the GT500, Z06, and God forbid, the ZR-1 they're talking about introducing...? That sure makes $60K a lousy investment just to get your doors blown off...

As for Mr. Depetro's comment about the Mopar guys "whining" about four doors on the Charger - I am one of those guys. And damn proud of it. That's no more a Charger than Osama Bin Laden is an American Hero. Daimler Nazi Autocars can kiss my a$$ for ever perpetrating that hoax.

Just MY humble opinion...

Anyone debating this subject ever get up close to one, like at the Mopar Nats, etc? THOSE THINGS ARE OBESE. There's nothing in the Who-Owns-Us-Today?-Chrysler arsenal that will push that thing around sufficiently to keep up with some of the other current offerings from Phord or GM, straight line, skid pad, or otherwise. Is anyone really paying attention to the GT500, Z06, and God forbid, the ZR-1 they're talking about introducing...? That sure makes $60K a lousy investment just to get your doors blown off...

As for Mr. Depetro's comment about the Mopar guys "whining" about four doors on the Charger - I am one of those guys. And damn proud of it. That's no more a Charger than Osama Bin Laden is an American Hero. Daimler Nazi Autocars can kiss my a$$ for ever perpetrating that hoax.

Just MY humble opinion...

Ouch !!! Why don't you say what you REALLY mean ??? :wack:

why does this thread seem like it is in attack mode? its just a new car. a limited edition performance car will have strong resale of at least 80% of its value to above 100%. even a mid 80's grand national, hurst olds, will have good value over sticker price. it is what it is. remember the gas guzzler tax.

When the 2009 models role out next summer the 6 speed is supposed to be available behind the 5.7 R/T and the 6.1 SRT8 Hemi engines in the Challenger. That will be a pretty appealing option package in that body style and if the prices come down to MSRP or lower that will be a lot of car for the money. Who here doesn't think driving a new 6 speed Hemi Challenger wouldn't be fun?? I just hope they sell a lot of them so they keep making them. High volume is what is needed to bring the price down. The dealer gouging will go on for at least the first 1 to 2 years and I would imaging the 6 speed cars will have buyers lined up for quite some time to come.

I love my old mopars with a passion. I also am looking forward to driving a new challenger if I get the chance. It may take awhile but I am patient. Not everybody likes new cars and not everybody wants to drive a 35 year old car as a daily driver. What a boring hobby this would be if everybody had my tastes for cars and drove only what I do, 79 apsen rt and 72 dusters. It takes a variety of cars to please everyone. Will the challengers be worth 60k? Not to me but it will be to some. Who am I to tell them they are dumb for spending their money on what THEY want?

I think they look pretty cool, if i had the $ i would buy one, not for 60k but id be willing to pay a little over sticker

I went to ebay to see what was going on and what I seen was you were buying the right to get one. The dealerships haven't received anything yet. Instead of just anybody walking into a dealership and Put Me On The List and here is my deposit. They are running the price up. I think everyone should send a letter bitching at dodge and see what they say. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back