273 Build

-
Way to go Mike,she,s looking good!:cheers:A little touch up on the exhaust and your in business.I bet you can,t wait to try it?8)

It starts, it runs, it drives. I'm pooped! The boys took some video and I'll post it as soon as I can. It runs pretty good....better than the old motor and man is it tight. After breaking the cam in here in the driveway I let it cool off a bit and changed oil and filter and drained the radiator for antifreeze. I adjusted the clutch and took it for a drive to seat the rings. It was hard to keep it under
3500 r's. Once it wears in and loosens up it should be a great motor. The Isky E-4 cam has just a little bit of lope @ idle and the exhaust is perfect. It is not too loud which is what I hoped for but a little throaty. Enough for now ,I'm going to bed. LOL Mike

AWESOME! Why hard to keep under 3500rpm's? Was that YOU wanting to wind up that lil' 273? What rear gears do you have?

AWESOME! Why hard to keep under 3500rpm's? Was that YOU wanting to wind up that lil' 273? What rear gears do you have?
3:23's Once it's broke in it should be good to 6,000 or so. Here's a link of the first start. The exhaust isn't loud and the new starter really spins her over in a hurry. I squirted a cup of gas in the bowl vents of the carb but it wasn't enough. Those things must hold quite a bit. Good thing I pre-lubed it. Mike [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMK4Gca5qA"]YouTube- First time starting the Dart[/ame]

I am jealous! I haven't started my 273 yet. Still trying to finish up the brakes ("if you can't stop it, don't start it") is my philosophy. Hoping for a noonday start tomorrow! Way to go Toolman!

ahhh haaa haaa! the video froze right when you said contact and I heard the starter wind-up!

i dont know...sounds like the yeaaa haw has a lifter tappin'!

Congrats! Way to go!

Aloha!

I am jealous! I haven't started my 273 yet. Still trying to finish up the brakes ("if you can't stop it, don't start it") is my philosophy. Hoping for a noonday start tomorrow! Way to go Toolman!

Get her stoppin' first is a good idea. LOL Good luck with yours today. MIke

Thanks to all you guys for your kind words and support. You are all a great bunch and thanks for all your help. toolmanmike

I need to post a completed photo. Dang, still got the timing light hooked up ! LOL

engine 296.jpg

Now that looks good! Glad to hear you also fixed the oil pressure problem, probably just a bad filter. Just an FYI, 51515, 51068, 51085 all fit Mopars and are all 3 different lengths.

That engine sure looks sweet! Great job Mike. Gave me some hope to do mine engine too. And not to go on easy way and put some 318 on it...:cheers:

How does it run ?? how many miles ya got on it now ?

Runs good although I have an original carb problem. I found an original carb@ the Nationals (where I am at now) and I hope to get it running good. I can't get it to idle because the throttle shafts are very loose and causing a vacuum leak. I have about 150 miles on it and it runs better every time i have it out. I picked up quite a few small parts from Roy and Jamie at Mega Parts and went to Brewers performance for the clutch linkage parts I needed. I also found a nice set of 14" polished trim rings If I decide to install my rallys.
toolmanmike

Great job Mike!I can,t wait to see it with the rally,s on it.It sure changes the look of the car,I think it adds a little muscle look.8)
car pics 66 Dart 004.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 004.jpg

Been almost a month since an update. The carb I found at the Nats was no good but I have been using it to experiment with different cleaning techniques.
The carb cleaners nowdays don't do a good job and old AFB's are usually pretty corroded. I think they are magnesium and not aluminum so they don't seem to respond to ultrasonic cleaners. I glass beaded 1/2 of the air horn and ultrasonic cleaned the other half. The glass bead turned it dull grey and the ultrasonic half was still corroded. Eastwood has carb paint and that's what I might end up with. I'll glass bead first to remove the corrosion before the paint. Oh, an old Mopar friend in town owns a machine shop and can re-bush my carb so that part will be taken care of. I wonder how the professional carb restorers clean the carb bodies to look like new?
I have a few hundred miles on the new motor and it is running pretty good.(except for the carb problem which only effects the idle. I've been on a few cruises and drove it to Mopars on the Mississippi which is 90 miles from home and no problems. The Accurate exhaust is starting to sound a bit louder and that is good. It is a bit quiet when it is new. I just got my Hot Rod magazine today and there is a big article about Rat Rods. I think that's what I've got. LOL Mike

I think both should be around 300 but that's probably stretching it..I'm working on my original carb and will change the clutch sometime in the near future. I have a Pertronix kit to put in my distributor. I have around a thousand miles on it since the build. It was tight when I assembled it so I've been driving it pretty easy until it gets loosened up.

Been almost a month since an update. The carb I found at the Nats was no good but I have been using it to experiment with different cleaning techniques.
The carb cleaners nowdays don't do a good job and old AFB's are usually pretty corroded. I think they are magnesium and not aluminum so they don't seem to respond to ultrasonic cleaners. I glass beaded 1/2 of the air horn and ultrasonic cleaned the other half. The glass bead turned it dull grey and the ultrasonic half was still corroded..... LOL Mike

On mine, the insides were clean and bright, just the outside was aged.

I used Hot Wheels mag and wheel cleaner and a small brass bristled brush on my original AFB and it took it from the dull dark grey back to aluminum color. I wiped in some thinned clear engine paint to seal the pores after it dried. I was quite happy with the results.

Got my clutch put in yesterday. It works great, nice and smooth and not much petal stiffness. It was a 10" conversion clutch from Brewers. Works great! I put a few miles on it yesterday afternoon and drove it today for an hour or so. Big smiles! toolman

-
Back