273 Build

-
Dang, I don't get that magazine. MCG and Mopar Muscle only. I'll have to pick up an issue. Thanks, tmm

Toolman: Three questions: Looks like you were able to use the original bellhousing with the 10" clutch, right? I've just pulled out a 9 1/4" clutch from my Formula S, will a 10" clutch fit in there?
Second: Did you put the heat riser thermostat back on the bottom of the exhaust manifold after you painted it?
Last: How's that chain tensioner working for you?

Thanks for your thread, great read, man!

Clifftt, so sorry I didn't respond to your questions. Brewer performance has a conversion clutch kit for the small 273 flywheel. Others here have bought 10" clutches from NAPA for slant 6 vans and got the same product. It works great.
I put the heat riser back on except for the anti rattle spring between the shafts which I didn't have. It workd great for engine warm up but it does blister the paint on the intake from the passage getting hot. If you only drive your car in warm weather a heat riser isn't really needed. The chain tensioner is something I had from another engine project so I put it in. I used a Cloyes double roller set so the tensioner really wasn't needed especially because I drive so few miles anyway. tmm

Mike,
Enjoyed reading your thread... Congrats on a great job!!!

When I did mine 20 or so years ago, I modified my original 65 Commando's dual point distributor to use the Chrysler electronics.. as back then I showed the car as "stock" so I did not want the kit's aluminum unit. I also hid the ECU under my dash... I run mechanical advance and total timing @ 35 degrees... (picture of it in my gallery with cap off)
I guess I did it the HARD way... But back then, I never knew about the Pertronix module...

You have an awesome Dart!!!:cheers:

Just finished reading through this thread - very impressive! I recently (okay, 7 years ago now) had my 273 rebuilt, although I can't claim to have nearly as much as you. That cam sounds impressive - I may need to look into changing mine...

Thanks for the words, photos, and inspiration!

Nice build Mike,I just enjoyed the past few hours reading this! Driving dads cuda round the past few weeks has me thinking about putting a few more horses into it! I dont want to change the originality of dads car, I would love to keep factory 3:23/904 and without frame connectors.
Thanks!

I'm enjoying the narrative and photos in your thread. It looks like you've had some talent working on your block and heads. Thanks for the thread. I'll follow along more quietly unless I have a question. Thanks.

I think the carb rebuilders ball mill the carb bodies to make 'em shine. I never had a shiny Edelbrock for more than a month, and never found a dip that vrought it back. I believe most are too caustic (darken the AL) or too weak (dont work at all). Good ol simple green and a few toothbrushes. Nice. I wish I had your patience (and budget!) :)

I've followed your series here and have enjoyed it very much. Funny that you mention names that use to be very familiar to me. Especially Radar. If memory is still there, he worked with Gary Ostrich and Charlie Malyuke back in the early 70's on the Force engines, and others. I remember not being able to go into Gary's shop in Nevada on account of Chrysler and their secret work being done there. Even saw set of Westlake heads for a 340 one day, as they were using them as a guide on some LA heads that they were working on for mother Mopar. Then the gas shortages, insurance price hikes and all took place not to mention emissions regulations killed performance for awhile. A bad time.
Oh yes, I grew up in the Waterloo area. My 67 GTX had kind of a reputation for being a 396 Camaro killer. It was a fun time.

I've followed your series here and have enjoyed it very much. Funny that you mention names that use to be very familiar to me. Especially Radar. If memory is still there, he worked with Gary Ostrich and Charlie Malyuke back in the early 70's on the Force engines, and others. I remember not being able to go into Gary's shop in Nevada on account of Chrysler and their secret work being done there. Even saw set of Westlake heads for a 340 one day, as they were using them as a guide on some LA heads that they were working on for mother Mopar. Then the gas shortages, insurance price hikes and all took place not to mention emissions regulations killed performance for awhile. A bad time.
Oh yes, I grew up in the Waterloo area. My 67 GTX had kind of a reputation for being a 396 Camaro killer. It was a fun time.
You know the guys! I remember seeing Charlie's Hemi headed 383 in action at Neita. Got any pictures of your GTX? Heck, I might have sold you some parts when I was at ESCO!

Hey, I just noticed something. The part number for the intake is for a 66 with CAP (Clean air package). I believe the car was ordered by a young man in the service stationed in the NW. (Washington/Oregon) but the car was made in
Hamtramck. Any ideas?
...I had a 71 challenger w/CA emission code & a Hawaii inspection stckr. on the rear bumpr.& it was also built in Hamtramck! . I think when production on a cirtain model ends ends at a cirtain factory & one is ordered after that date, another factory gets the order

You know the guys! I remember seeing Charlie's Hemi headed 383 in action at Neita. Got any pictures of your GTX? Heck, I might have sold you some parts when I was at ESCO!

Oh do I remember ESCO Auto Parts. Remember a redheaded guy named George? I went all the way thru school with him. Can't remember his last name. He played trombone, like me as well. No pictures of my old GTX, or the light silver 69 R/T either. The 69 had the Super Track Pal 4:10 dana with torque flight. With some sticky tires, for 1969 that is, I got it down into the 12:20's. It was strictly a street car, so that was about as fast and quick as I could afford to go then. Gary went thru the heads on the 69, blueprinted them, as they called it then. Unfortunately, Gary passed away in February of 2015. Went to the funeral, it was like a hotrods convention.

He said at the time that he caught the heads, just before it was going to let a valve go. Got lucky. But, those heads really woke up that 440. What interesting today though, is just how big those B bodies are today, that's why I'm looking for an A-body to use as a high performance daily driver, just like the old days, in many ways. a 67-69 Valiant are my preferences, but a Dart would do too. LA 340 motors. Always hated changing plugs on this B motors, everything was always getting in the way, especially with headers.

Great to hear from you and your story. 12.20's is pretty serious back then and very respectable nowdays. I started with a 65 Dart but went to B and E bodies for many years. I didn't take many pics either. I will have to keep an eye out for a picture of your car on the net in a Facebook group for Neita Raceway. I can add you to the member list if you are on Facebook. PM me with the details. Those days at Esco were the highlight of my life as I look back 40+ years later. It's always fun to chat with others that also experienced the fun. Mike

BTW, what color was your 67 GTX? You probably know Jim Van Zee too.
@hemisedan

Last edited:
Great to hear from you and your story. 12.20's is pretty serious back then and very respectable nowdays. I started with a 65 Dart but went to B and E bodies for many years. I didn't take many pics either. I will have to keep an eye out for a picture of your car on the net in a Facebook group for Neita Raceway. I can add you to the member list if you are on Facebook. PM me with the details. Those days at Esco were the highlight of my life as I look back 40+ years later. It's always fun to chat with others that also experienced the fun. Mike

BTW, what color was your 67 GTX? You probably know Jim Van Zee too.
@hemisedan

It was a pretty basic 67 GTX. B5 Blue, they called it Bright Blue metallic, torque flight on the column, no console, or buddy seat. Standard 3:23 sure grip rear end. Radio and rear seat speakers then all glass tinted. That was all the options. It was a strong street car. Stayed up pretty good with Larry Wirtje's 65 396/427 Biscayne sedan that a ran really well. No, I didn't beat him, but did put a scare into him at the time.

Yes, I knew Jim fairly well, but really got to know him in the 80's. He raced that Chrysler LeBaron that was very interesting. Nice guy.

It was a pretty basic 67 GTX. B5 Blue, they called it Bright Blue metallic, torque flight on the column, no console, or buddy seat. Standard 3:23 sure grip rear end. Radio and rear seat speakers then all glass tinted. That was all the options. It was a strong street car. Stayed up pretty good with Larry Wirtje's 65 396/427 Biscayne sedan that a ran really well. No, I didn't beat him, but did put a scare into him at the time.

Yes, I knew Jim fairly well, but really got to know him in the 80's. He raced that Chrysler LeBaron that was very interesting. Nice guy.
Didyou say you are on Facebook? The Neita group there featured Jim's wagon this week. If you are a Facebooker I can invite you to the group. You can PM me your name if you want.
Capture.PNG

Hey, I made on Phoenix Specialty Coatings powder **** calendar
phoenix spec. coat.jpg
phoenix spec. coat 2.jpg

The heads should be done this weekend. Here's a couple of cell phone shots today after the milling. (.030 to make up for the compression loss of valve grind, different valves,and thicker head gasket I hope it runs as good as it looks. LOL)

View attachment 139307

View attachment 139308

View attachment 139309

What did Radar try to do here, make your heads look and perform like W-2 heads like I use to have. Gary built a 358" stroked 340 for me about 25 years ago. Which that I still had that engine, but that's a sad story.

What did Radar try to do here, make your heads look and perform like W-2 heads like I use to have. Gary built a 358" stroked 340 for me about 25 years ago. Which that I still had that engine, but that's a sad story.
Well Woody said he would just warm them up a bit. I didn't have the heads flowed but they seem to work well.

Remember Jim's Ch
Didyou say you are on Facebook? The Neita group there featured Jim's wagon this week. If you are a Facebooker I can invite you to the group. You can PM me your name if you want.View attachment 1715108179

Do you remember Jim's early 80's Chrysler LeBaron? That was one beautifully painted car. Ran fast too, but then again everything that he drove ran fast.

TMM,
Can you tell me what is the actual cubic inches of your engine after the rebuild? Also, what carburetor are you using and what cfm is it?
Thanks for this build thread.
I am considering a rebuild on my '65 273 with '68 heads and a cast iron 4 barrel I.M..
Richard

TMM,
Can you tell me what is the actual cubic inches of your engine after the rebuild? Also, what carburetor are you using and what cfm is it?
Thanks for this build thread.
I am considering a rebuild on my '65 273 with '68 heads and a cast iron 4 barrel I.M..
Richard
277.8 is a +.030 over. I tried to save my original carb but ended up using a 600 cfm Edelbrock. I believe the 68 heads are low compression/ open chambered heads. What number heads are you thing on using?

-
Back