273 Build

-
The heads I've been using are 2843675. What does open chamber mean?
I'm also using an Edelbrock 500cfm 4 barrel carb. They said it was a little large for a 273.
I'm looking to figure out how to get a little more power and a good running engine on modern, 91 octane, California gas, with an economical rebuild.

@Richard Sweet, the 675's are open chambered 318 heads. Same valve size as the 273 heads but the combustion chamber is as large as the cylinder. A loss of compression and power. You didn't mention whether your 273 was a 2 barrel or not or whether you will need to bore it and replace the pistons. Here's a list of closed chamber heads that will work well on your 273. The #302 heads are from the Lean burn 318's in the late 80's. They have a closed "swirl port" combustion chamber (Very similar to all the 273 heads) but they have hardened valve seats which are good with non leaded fuel.

64-65 #315 closed chamber 57-64.5cc
64-65 #080 closed chamber 57-64.5cc
66 early #178 closed chamber 57-65.5cc
66 late #234 closed chamber 57-64.5cc
66-67 #920 closed chamber 57-64.5cc
68-69 #675 open chamber 60-67.5cc
68-71 #675 open chamber 60-67.5cc 318 LA
87- 90's #302 closed chamber 56-65 cc 318 LA lean burn

If you are going to bore it I would suggest Egge HP pistons or the domed pistons from Kanter. There may be another place or two to get them. I'm afraid if you used a low compression flat top and open chambered heads you will be disappointed in the combination. Here's a photo of the difference between the two. I wouldn't be concerned about the carb. 500 cfm is fine and 600 works without overcarbing. I get 18 mpg/hwy with my 66 with a 3.23 gear and a fairly tall tire.
Here's open chambered v/s closed chambered:
Xheads021.jpg
0391b60b.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,
It was a previously rebuilt 2 barrel in '87 and that's when the '68 heads were put on. I added the 4 barrel I.M. and carb after that. Thanks for the closed chamber head information. I don't know what I will replace or how it will be rebuilt yet. I'm looking for an economical way to get it done. I don't want compression that will be too high for today's 91 octane unleaded gas. I don't have an engine builder in mind yet either; I'm looking around Ventura, California.
Thanks, Richard

@toolmanmike

Great thread!!!

Thank you for bringing my attention to your build, it’s / your very inspirational!! A lot of great information and tips that will come in handy!!

Cheers Mate,

Luke

Several Bonneville Racers builders in Ventura
I remember working on some Buick style SBC heads for them
I'll try and recover the contact info- they might have some leads
The 302's might be easier to find than good early heads
notice from those great pics how much easier it is to get quench with the closed chamber

I have 273 in my '65 Dart. I have heads ready to go on my low mile shortblock. About the CC: I remember back in school when my car was nearly new(!) being taught that CC and ML were the same. Be worth checking that "factoid". Thanks, am enjoying your story. You are probably already past that.

Mike,
It was a previously rebuilt 2 barrel in '87 and that's when the '68 heads were put on. I added the 4 barrel I.M. and carb after that. Thanks for the closed chamber head information. I don't know what I will replace or how it will be rebuilt yet. I'm looking for an economical way to get it done. I don't want compression that will be too high for today's 91 octane unleaded gas. I don't have an engine builder in mind yet either; I'm looking around Ventura, California.
Thanks, Richard
Richard, I am using the high compression Egge pistons Mike speaketh about, with the ‘66 920 heads. Heads were only resurfaced and I lightly polished the chambers. No pinging whatsoever ever. (I’m running the Eddy 500 on a stock manifold.)

Mike or Cliff or …,
For the closed chamber heads that Mike listed in post #202, are there any differences in those heads, other than hardened seats, e.g., are they different for domed pistons vs flat top pistons?
Richard

Mike or Cliff or …,
For the closed chamber heads that Mike listed in post #202, are there any differences in those heads, other than hardened seats, e.g., are they different for domed pistons vs flat top pistons?
Richard
Slight differences I am sure but not enough to make much performance difference. The size and shape of the closed chamber makes the heads work. The ports and runners are all small and probably very similar between heads. I would have to look but I believe all the valves are the same size between heads.

I have the Galen books that also tell open or closed chamber. You guys need any info or clarification don't hesitate to ask.

All those 273 goodies AND Three Pedals ?? You are my hero !! I didn't see which trans you are using. I had a 23 spline four speed in a 73 Dart with a 360. Took MASSIVE abuse and kept on keepin on. I saw where you found some things in your engine that just didn't seem right. Next time I'm at the shop i gotta take pictures and make a list of things that people tell me shouldn't be that way. Things like a set of nice looking .040 flat-tops, 315 casting number heads but 3/8 intake bolts, factory 2brl set-up but the nice closed chamber Commando looking heads...

All those 273 goodies AND Three Pedals ?? You are my hero !! I didn't see which trans you are using. I had a 23 spline four speed in a 73 Dart with a 360. Took MASSIVE abuse and kept on keepin on. I saw where you found some things in your engine that just didn't seem right. Next time I'm at the shop i gotta take pictures and make a list of things that people tell me shouldn't be that way. Things like a set of nice looking .040 flat-tops, 315 casting number heads but 3/8 intake bolts, factory 2brl set-up but the nice closed chamber Commando looking heads...
It's a fun car. Not blazing fast but fun to drive.

T
What is the chamber volume on these close chambered 315 heads ?
The book I have says 57-64 cc. I have a #178 head and a #234 head if I remember correctly. When I took the engine apart all the bearings were original but on one cylinder. My guess is that something let loose and smacked a head. One head was replaced.

T

The book I have says 57-64 cc. I have a #178 head and a #234 head if I remember correctly. When I took the engine apart all the bearings were original but on one cylinder. My guess is that something let loose and smacked a head. One head was replaced.
Scratching my head. At 64cc and flat-top I came up with only an 8.3:1 compression ratio. Does that sound right to you ? Sure. It makes for a street engine that can run well on regular gas but it certainly limits power output.

-
Back