273 commando Build

-
I have approx 60 miles on the commando now and it has more torque and hp than last engine . Haven't taken it over 4500 rpms yet , but it really feels strong . Revs real fast , has a totally different sound than last engine also. Compression "Does" make a difference !
That sounds great. I bet that LD4B helps too!

I'll bet your loving that little beast. I have a h/p 273 needing a cam and I can't wait to hear and see the video, just like so many others. Sounds like it has great performance. Congrats

Finally ! the video is posted.. you tube and photobucket just did not work.
273 commando is running great ! Lot's more torque and hp than last engine.

Finally ! the video is posted.. you tube and photobucket just did not work.
273 commando is running great ! Lot's more torque and hp than last engine.
That sounds healthy, great job. I see fenderwell headers, are you running duels out the back? I only could see one tip. The sound is great. Do you have any video of it at low idle? How does it lope? With the power and torque, I think I'd like to copy your build. If you don't mind. :)

That sounds healthy, great job. I see fenderwell headers, are you running duels out the back? I only could see one tip. The sound is great. Do you have any video of it at low idle? How does it lope? With the power and torque, I think I'd like to copy your build. If you don't mind. :)
I'll work on some more videos for you guys .
You can copy my build If you like. That cam I used is awesome !
I run 2.5" head pipes off headers thru 2.5 flow master 40's , nothing over the axles yet with 2.5" . the tail pipes on there now were just cut off after old mufflers before they go over the axles. just fakers for now. Right now these fm 40's are soooooooooooooo loud inside the car but it sounds sooooo good ! I'm afraid I'll get pulled over for loud exhaust at some point. I don't want rappy exhaust sound if I put tail pipes on. more videos coming soon.
Thanks guys !

I lean out the 650 dp 3 jet sizes . I thought it responded a little fat . now it reacts more crisp. Nice !
sec 76, pri. 66. quick throttle response ,, pulls hard in each gear . Snow tires are working great ! these tires hook !

IMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG

Nice car stroker402. It sounds healthy. Was wondering what clutch you are running in your car. I have to find one for my Dart. It's hard to come up with one for a 122 tooth flywheel -- 9.5 or 10.0 inch.
Alan

Nice car stroker402. It sounds healthy. Was wondering what clutch you are running in your car. I have to find one for my Dart. It's hard to come up with one for a 122 tooth flywheel -- 9.5 or 10.0 inch.
Alan
"Brewers performance" has all components for 9.5"' and up clutch parts. they have a website . I am running the oem 9.5" clutch in my 65 barracuda with no issues . Does not slip at all .

Does the cam have a lopie idle? I can't tell by the video. But it sure sounds strong.
The big erson cam 286dur -510 lift I pulled out had a very aggressive sound vs the new cam from isky . I can tell it is not a stock sounding cam . just the right amount of lope for me. Very streetable cam with a Biggggggggggggggggg punch . Isky knows their cams for sure when Ron pulled this custom grind isky cam" t-3" out of his hat ! LOL. Nice job Ron !

Last edited:
I reset the pertronix ign rev limiter up to 5500 rpm now. This new cam is meant to spin up to 6400 rpm. which it will never see when I'm driving it. lol.
I made a couple blasts through the gears and all is well. Pulls real hard thru each gear. way stronger engine than the old engine with the Tooooooo big of cam. Love these little 273 beasts !

update :
here's a little video of the 273 commando running thru the gears . "not a beat run sorry" . everything is running perfectly the way it should . I did down size to a stock 500 cfm afb carb after this video . and it ran much better with the 500 cfm than the holley dp 650. This new engine sounds much different than the last engine that came up with bad bearings .
In this new rebuild commando 273 , it has the 10.5 pistons vs the previous engine that had the 8.8:1 flat tops and a big erson cam 510-286 with no compression . now a ld4b vs the previous ld340 , clean up ports and gasket matched the 920 closed chamber heads .......
.... when you shift between gears with the new 10.5 engine it sounds like a harley motor cycle now .da da da da da when you shift between gears , like it has a lot of cavenging effect thru the headers . maybe you can hear it in the video. long tube 1 5/8 hookers into 2.25 head pipes the to 2.25 flow 40s' in and out , dumped before rear end. new cam is a isky t-3 455 lift 260 dur. 104 lsa with 2 degrees built into custom grind cam , 2000 - 6400 .
I think it sounds more like a harley now because of the higher compression or could use some quieter mufflers / x-h pipe, what do you think ?

Last edited:
-
Back