273 forged pistons

-

66dart gt

Reaction score
My machinist called and told me he couldn't get pistons for the 273 that he is rebuilding for me. I solved the first part without too much effort and found cast pistons at Kanter and PAW.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a supplier of hypereutectic or forged pistons for a 273 either +.030 or .040. I'd like to run this pretty hard and I don't want to start off a new rebuild melting a piston if I don't have too.

Thanks

I tried the same thing with my 273 and had no luck finding pistons either. The only option was to get a custom set. I just rebuilt it with the cast pistons untill I could get a 340.
Building up a 273 is expensive and you still only have 273 cubic inches. A 318 would be better and cheaper.

Back in the day I rebuilt my 273 with Sil-Vo-Lite (sp?) cast 4 bbl replacement pistons. They weren't even specific to the 2 sides of the engine. Each had a sort of "pent roof" shaped dome. Not sure what you consider running an engine hard, but my engine took quite a bit of abuse. Hard launches, 6000 rpm shifts, even saw 7000 rpm once. Never gave me any problems.

hi, J.E. pistons, Ross pistons, CP pistons, all make 273 pistons. they offer a legal 273 piston, for stockers. if you order custom pistons, order one extra. if you hurt a piston, you have to buy 4 min. takes about a month to get them.
plus, you can get them lighter, which helps with horse power. the 318 isn't going to be cheaper!!! 318 never had a dome piston! custom pistons, cost the same.

I have 340s (engines) with forged or cast cranks and New Pistons in a variety of sizes and compressions if you are interested. I have 73 models with lower compression and also 70 model with X heads... let me know if you are interested. Also have lots of intake manifolds and headers, cams, etc...

just spring for the custom pistons and be done with worrying. Make sure you have the true deck height and you can design the best dome type and modern ring stacks too.

hi, J.E. pistons, Ross pistons, CP pistons, all make 273 pistons. they offer a legal 273 piston, for stockers. if you order custom pistons, order one extra. if you hurt a piston, you have to buy 4 min. takes about a month to get them.
plus, you can get them lighter, which helps with horse power. the 318 isn't going to be cheaper!!! 318 never had a dome piston! custom pistons, cost the same.

I happen to like the 273 ( http://www.deboy.cc/273 ) but I disagree that it's just as cheap to build a 273 as it is to do a 318. Even though the 318 never had a domed piston from the factory, KB has flat top and domed hypereutectics for the 318. The flat tops give about 10:1 with 302 head castings and cost about $310 a set from Summit. The domed pistons are about $26 more. When I was planning this build I called Ross about a set of pistons; they want $776 for 273 flat tops and $821 for domed. That's one reason I went with the 318 instead of staying with the 273. I came out money ahead with the 318 even though I had to buy a core. The extra 45 cubes are kind of nice too.

After my wallet recovers from the 318 build I'm going to tear down the 273. If it's rebuildable I'll try to find s set of stock replacement pistons for it and an early Valiant to put it in. I keep hearing that Egge has pistons but I can't find them on their web site. Summit lists them but the expected ship date is always about 3 weeks in the future.

Cheers,
Ken

Egge has them. They re-did their website and they are hard to find.
Rbob posted a link above for Hughes Engines and you can see what the Egge pistons look like. Hughes apparently gets them from Egge.
These are as close to the factory slugs as you can get and they are available in overbore sizes. toolman

Egge has them. They re-did their website and they are hard to find.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...m&TITL E=Egge
65Val posted this link above and you can see what the Egge pistons look like.
These are as close to the factory slugs as you can get and they are available in overbore sizes. toolman

Link doesn't work.

By the way, the folks that rag on us that want to build a 273 to stay correct/original and instead say just build a 318 are probably the same ones who get bent out of shape when someone has a Hemi Cuda with a 5.7 or a 392 saying that's not correct. That's my experience.

My suggestion: Tell someone how you did YOURSs, but don't tell them how to do THEIRS!

try:
http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...m&TITLE=Egge
nevermind, still don't work!!!

Try R bob's link to Hughes Engines above. I tried the link after I posted it and couldn't get it to work so I edited my post to correct it. Sorry.

By the way, the folks that rag on us that want to build a 273 to stay correct/original and instead say just build a 318 are probably the same ones who get bent out of shape when someone has a Hemi Cuda with a 5.7 or a 392 saying that's not correct. That's my experience.

My suggestion: Tell someone how you did YOURSs, but don't tell them how to do THEIRS!

I didn't think I was telling anyone how to build their car, just disagreeing that a 273 is as cheap to build as a 318. Well, it is I guess except for pistons. I'm keeping mine and if it's rebuildable it will eventually get done. I'd love to find a 64 4 speed Barracuda to put it in, much likelier the car I can afford will be a Valiant or Dart though. The Barracuda in this month's Hemmings Classic cars will bring tears to your eyes.

BTW, those Egge pistons look heavy. Do the Federal Moguls have the same full skirt design?

Cheers,
Ken

I can't see the detail of the skirt in the photos but they look just like the originals. I would check with the piston companies that make their own if you need a slipper skirt design. I thought I read somewhere that forged pistons are heavier than cast. For most normal 273 builds/rebuilds the cast piston should be fine. Mike

(I solved the first part without too much effort and found cast pistons at Kanter and PAW. )

Looks like the PAW pistons are 8.5:1 2-barrel pistons. Kanter has both available.
I contacted Kanter for more info. (11/23) Mike

-
Back