28 inch tires on 68 barracuda.

-

69superbee

Pete E
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy my new back tires.

I got my SS springs on and I put my 27 inch tall street tires back on the car.
they fit perfect.

I was planning on going to a 28" tall drag radial or ET street. but as I was measuring things up I found that if I put a 28" tall tire on it I will run into a tire rub problem in the front of the quarter. The only reason I wanted to use a 27" tire was to knock a little more gear out of the car. I have a 4.10 in it .

Looks like my only other option to use the larger tire would be to trim the front of the quarter.

how much of a difference will the 1 inch of tire make? is it worth the work ?

thanks

superbee
i have a 68 barracuda with 255 x 70 x 15 which are 28 inch tall.i to thought that was not enough room in front of the tire so i just drilled a new hole in the shock plate and pulled the rear end back about 1/2 inch. i've been driving it like this for the past 4 years with no problem.
terry

I have a 67 Barracuda with stock spring running a 275/60/15 with no problems... it is a 28" tall tire. I had to use offset shackle kit to get the beefs under there however but a 28" did fit.

I have around a 1/2 from the quarter fender. I have yet to rub and I have abused this car pretty good LOL!

I thought I had a better picture.

DSC01611.jpg

superbee
i have a 68 barracuda with 255 x 70 x 15 which are 28 inch tall.i to thought that was not enough room in front of the tire so i just drilled a new hole in the shock plate and pulled the rear end back about 1/2 inch. i've been driving it like this for the past 4 years with no problem.
terry

I'm sure glad you posted this. I've been wondering if what you just mentioned would work. I was talking to a fellow member here not long ago about moving the axle back 1" or less. So you have did this without no problems... that's good to know ... thanks!

has it thrown off the weight transfer any? there is plenty of room if I move the rear back a little. that could sove the problem.

I measure 1 inch clearance on mine with the 27" tire I do not have a measurement to the back but I know there is a ton of room to move back some. if it does not effect the way the car hooks it would be a really easy fix.

thanks.

superbee,
it did not do anything to the weight transfer that i could notice. i did use the mopar off set spring kit to get an extra 3/4 inch and everything lined up just fine. there is enough room for the brake lines to pull it back a good 1/2 inch. just be sure to measure all posible locations so each side matches and to be sure your tracking correctly.
terry

I have 275/60/15 BFG TAs (28 inch) on mine and they clear the front by at least an inch. Am wanting to get a set of 29 inch MTs for a "dragier" look as well and dont see that they will pose a major problem either. Interesting the post about moving the shock plate back 1 inch. That's one way to give more room at the front of the wheel. I was thinking (should I need more room with 29 inch talls) of inserting an 1/2 inch plate aluminium spacer between the front sping hangers and the body, thereby moving the entire leaf spring/rear axle assembly back as much, and presumably not altering factory geometry in the positioning of axle re: the leaf springs. anyone try this?

I had 275-60-15s on mine. 002/003 springs. Mine were moved in board though and mounted on 15X8.5" centerlines with 4-7/8" backspacing.

85.jpg

On my 67 I am running 29x12.50x15 Sportsman Pros, They fit fine, but to answer sydcuda's question, Yes, I have a 1" plate mounted between the front spring hanger and the frame, works good!

On my 67 I am running 29x12.50x15 Sportsman Pros, They fit fine, but to answer sydcuda's question, Yes, I have a 1" plate mounted between the front spring hanger and the frame, works good!

That makes a lot of since!

I would never thought of that! That's why I hang around here....:-D

Would you PM me the process, things to look for etc... or post it on here. Please!

I would like to do mine eventually.

I never thought about that myself .

that is a very easy fix and will center the wheel much nicer and give more clearance in the front

as of now I do not plan on the off set hangars or relocating my springs but, it is worth considering.

I have a 4.10 sg and I want to knock a little gear out of the car and my tires are 27 inches tall 28 will not be much but it should be just enough for what I need. a 29 would be even better and look really nice too !

thanks fellers

this should be moved to the tech archives.

Really good information here! I was planning on going with 255/70/15 which is a tall tire. Didn't get my new springs, tires and rims yet, but really good to know when I center everything up.

Any chance of a pic or 2, or 3 of that tire set-up? I am looking at the exact same tires on sale over here and would love to get a sneak peak at how they'd look. I can see from your avatar pic that they look mean, but a large pic would be great if possible. Thanks!

I have a friend who owns a machine shop and noticed my visits there he deals with aluminum a lot. I'm thinking that would be the place I will score the 1" thick aluminum. Now I have looked underneath the car and see nothing that would cause trouble going backwards 1". The only thing I see that is questionable (kocuda can answer this) is the drive shaft yoke coming out of the trans 1" further back. I'm guessing there is plenty of yoke to output shaft contact still left but that's all that seems questionable for me.

Yeah pictures please!

Really good information here! I was planning on going with 255/70/15 which is a tall tire. Didn't get my new springs, tires and rims yet, but really good to know when I center everything up.

I just finished doing this........It moves the wheel in just the right spot of the opening...... I made 2 plates, 3/16 thick welded together for a total of 5/8's thick plate..... cost about 15 bucks....

I have a friend who owns a machine shop and noticed my visits there he deals with aluminum a lot. I'm thinking that would be the place I will score the 1" thick aluminum. /QUOTE]

would you really need 1" plate? I mean, if 28 inch wheels fit fine (which they do on my car) and you went to 29 inch tall tires, you'd only need to move the spring hanger back by 1/2 inch to have the 29 inch tire clearing the front wheel housing the same as a 28 incher. 1 additional inch in tire height equals 1/2 inch on the overall diameter of the tire measured from the centre.

I have a friend who owns a machine shop and noticed my visits there he deals with aluminum a lot. I'm thinking that would be the place I will score the 1" thick aluminum. /QUOTE]

would you really need 1" plate? I mean, if 28 inch wheels fit fine (which they do on my car) and you went to 29 inch tall tires, you'd only need to move the spring hanger back by 1/2 inch to have the 29 inch tire clearing the front wheel housing the same as a 28 incher. 1 additional inch in tire height equals 1/2 inch on the overall diameter of the tire measured from the centre.

I was actually trying to center the axle in the fender well. Right now I have 1/2" in front of the tire to fender well and 2" on the rear of the tire to fender well. So you have a point here.

1" spacer = 1 1/2" on the front and 1" on the rear......1/2 off center.

Now this would be the correct fix.

3/4" spacer = 1 1/4" on the front and 1 1/4" on the rear. Perfect!

That's with my 28" tire now so with a 29" tire it would leave 3/4" on front and rear of the tire. Does all this look correct?

My car could use more room in the front of the wheel opening. What was the process and things to consider while do this modification?

That makes a lot of since!

I would never thought of that! That's why I hang around here....:-D

Would you PM me the process, things to look for etc... or post it on here. Please!
I would like to do mine eventually.

Is the choice of aluminum soley for weight reduction? Being a novice I was thinking a block of steel.

I have a friend who owns a machine shop and noticed my visits there he deals with aluminum a lot. I'm thinking that would be the place I will score the 1" thick aluminum. Now I have looked underneath the car and see nothing that would cause trouble going backwards 1". The only thing I see that is questionable (kocuda can answer this) is the drive shaft yoke coming out of the trans 1" further back. I'm guessing there is plenty of yoke to output shaft contact still left but that's all that seems questionable for me.

Yeah pictures please!

If you guys are running exhaust pipes all the way out back, you might want to check your exhaust pipe to axle clearance.

Might see if there is enough meat 1" further back on your axle snubber plate under the floorboard and if the rubber bumpers on the frame where your rear axle bottoms out will still hit 1" further back.

Also for fun, check the clearance between the gas tank and the back of the rear end housing. I think it's got room there, but just check.

If you put on a front hanger spacer, check the angle of the rear spring shackle isn't rediculous.

-
Back