2nd chance to make changes, what you you change?

-

rod7515

Reaction score
So many times we do something when building our cars and later on in the build or when completed we sit back and think I should have done this differently. Or should I say at least I do this to myself.
On the build of my 66 Dart I wish I would have thought it out in more detail before I went into it. First let me say Im not done yet and Im not into a high dollar build. Im not building a show car. But at the same time I want it to be very nice for my efforts and yes, I have spent way to much money for what the value of the car will be when done. I find it very hard to determine where to spend or not spend money on new parts or just use the old parts "cleaned up".
With that said, here are some things I wish I would have done differently,

1. Narrowed the rear 1.5" on both sides which would have let me sit the rear lower and use an even wider tire.
2. Had a better plan on the dash layout instead of just fitting gauges in
3. Kept the car more of a driver so I could have been on the road much sooner!

There are many other things I wish I would have done different but they are 3 of the biggest things on mine I wish were different. Its been over 3 years and still not close.
SO lets hear some of the things you would change if you had to do it all over again. Maybe we can help someone thinking about undertaking a redo an early A body!

Looking forward to your comments,
Rod

As much as I love my F8 green, I would have painted it black. Nothing like a black paint job polished out like a mirror.

Hmmm...

Jennifer looked like this.
Okay, well they both were women and had 2 eyes.

Emily 2.jpg

If I had to do Jamie’s dart over I’d have gone with an alter-k-tion instead of wasting time with the stock style suspension. May have gone a little more mild in the motor too.

Last edited:
I hope I did not make the wrong move on the rear end, spent a good amount of money on it , I have a 9" ford 31 S I could have used :rolleyes: I went with a 73 8 1/4 sure grip..

I hope I did not make the wrong move on the rear end, spent a good amount of money on it , I have a 9" ford 31 S I could have used :rolleyes: I went with a 73 8 1/4 sure grip..

You will be fine with that, Mike!!

I wouldn't change anything on the blue 66, although I am doing things differently on the convertible! I'm changing to large bolt to open up my wheel/tire options, and doing a full floor pan instead of just the sections! I'm also going with frame connectors, mostly because it's a convertible!

If I were to build the motor in my conv. today, I would go milder. Since the cars been together the local track shut down and the street racings almost dried up. I'm happy with everything else.

Dart.jpg

If I had to do Jamie’s dart over I’d have gone with an alter-k-tion instead of wasting time with the stock style suspension. May have gone a little more mild in the motor too.

Love my AlterKation. I'd be hard pressed not to use one an any Abody I build in the future.

I wish I had never let the chassis shop hack the front end off at the firewall! Man, did they ever get carried away. On the plus side, nobody will ever have a front end like this because it is all custom as are the headers. I got WAY over my head with this build and I should hsve never let the car leave my property. But hey, it's only money and YEARS worth of time, right?

I would have bought a driver so that I could enjoy it while I raise my kids instead of having a perpetual project in my garage! Oh well, it will be nice when (if) it is ever completed!

My 64 Barracuda I had back in HS, should have just left the ole girl alone. More I messed with it, the more I had to mess with it. Wanted the fastest gun in town, yea that paid well.....

DSCN1549.JPG

If at ALL possible, you need to keep the car driveable to keep your spirits up. Just going for a spin and hearing the exhaust will re-motivate you to finish the car. Who cares if it is in primer or 4 different colors? Go for a spin! Get your thumbs up from random people and then go home and get back to work. I am blessed to have a finished car I can cruise/race so I am in no rush on the Duster making noise. But if I DIDN'T have that, I would be stressed out for sure and rushing this build.

I should have taken another year to finish mine. I have ended up redoing a lot of stuff because I rushed it the first time. I would have more of the small projects finished at a lower cost if I had not rushed it like I did. Front suspension was done twice, engine bay was done twice, interior will be done twice.

Cley

-
Back