302 casting potential?

-
I still think there are much better choices out there than 302s. They have their place. But a mild performance engine is it for the average Joe.

not to resurrect this thread, but are there any other threads on here that have good information on these 302 heads? i remember a guy at a car show telling me that "x heads are junk on smallblocks, 302's are much better" (or was it 308, if there is such a thing?)...i wouldnt mind doing some reading on all these types of heads as there are usually quite a few junker 318's at my local pick and pull that would make great bases for learning porting, or actually putting the heads to good use

The right head is best on any engine. That's really all you need to know. The rest is mostly opinion as you'll find many people with many different head combos that all make power. I think a 318 w/302s is a good base for a performance build. but once a certain performance threshold is needing to be crossed, other factory heads can do the job as well or better. I'm pretty sure BJR's got a bunch of stuff on his website about them if you want details.

so are you saying there's no 'good info' here in this thread?

or just not what you wanna hear, like the kind of garbage the 'guy at the car show' told you..

Honestly, I hope everyone runs 302'-308's on they're sb, so I can leave them all behind without even trying.lol

He is wrong, and was hoping that you had a set to throw away....into his hands.

302 are for 318's, after that they become paper weights.

308's are nothing special a lil cleaner cast, thinner cast and the floor is lower, but getting them to flow 270-299cfm like a j head? nope.

308s have a better exh port. Similar to a Magnum exh. Otherwise... same same. There is very little overall difference in the 340/360 LA heads and the potential for all are pretty close to the same.

who has a pic of the 308 exhaust port?

308 exh port is orange

003.JPG

004.JPG

so are you saying there's no 'good info' here in this thread?

or just not what you wanna hear, like the kind of garbage the 'guy at the car show' told you..

Honestly, I hope everyone runs 302'-308's on they're sb, so I can leave them all behind without even trying.lol

He is wrong, and was hoping that you had a set to throw away....into his hands.

no no no im not saying anything about there not being good info in this thread...i just wanted to see other threads of guys who used them and with combination, what size valves, flow #s, etc....wanted to immerse myself in more info about them that is all, since i know nothing about them...the guy at the show kinda sounded like a goof when he told me to my face that x heads are garbage on my 340, but i dont know anything about 302/308 heads so thats why im asking here...that is all...didnt think i would get in trouble for asking

well i can honestly say that I raped a few cars at the track (heads up) running eddy headed engines.. with my pathetic 302's.
IMO 302 are GREAT cylinder heads. but moper is right all LA heads are the same, until you get to the 302.

M - no trouble. Just differeing opinions. Best thing you can do is imerse yourself in the theory of air and fluid flow, and then you can make the decision for yourself. You're really asking for opinions here. Because flow numbers, combinations, skill and experience of the guys.. all comes into play. The more you know of the "whys" the easier it becaomes to narrow your choices down.

is there any other sites that i can check out besides bjr about how heads work, and what design features determine different effects on performance and such? im not much of a head guru and i would really like to learn alot more about them in general, just not sure where to start

The best place to get into is Speedtalk.com. Join up, and read. The advanced tech is where I tend to lurk but some of that may be over your head at this point. I know some is over mine...lol. But everyone there has always been very good at helping you learn and working with each other. I've printer reams of stuff off there at one time or another. Once you kind of get a feel for things, you'll be able to wade thru the BS better.

thanks moper i will check it out!

Here ya go, ported by an average pro porter in all their glory....

http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/302.htm

For a 318 head & app, pretty impressive.
For a 340-360 app? not impressed

hey man what do you think of 308 heads? im thinking if they flow the same as an x head on the intake port but have a better exhaust port, they might might make a decent cheap iron head for a 340 thats going to run nitrous..what are your thoughts on that? does it make sense to go from x to 308 for that reason, IF it can be done cheaply? I know its opinion, but im interested in yours or anyone elses for that matter

They are supposed to be decent, but thin cast as well..so going for max #'s on the intake side might be a crap shoot. Thats no reason to not use them, just puts a 'cap/gamble' on the potential.jmo

makes sense...i guess it would make more sense to just stick with the x heads i already have and port those?

from what i read the intake port on the 308 is like a W2 port...i wasnt too interested in the swirl port thing, but then again not too clear on its benefits

this is a good read..:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/index.html

they use bigblock heads.. but the theory is all the same.
the 308 exaust ports somewhat resemble the W2 your reffering too.

sweet man! thanks for the link! i read it and some of this stuff makes more sense to me, though it would be great if it was a sb article instead...I guess thats where opinion comes in as to whether the open chamber 308's are better than the closed chamber 302's? I still have alot to learn lol

are the heads in this article 302's or 308's? im assuming they are 308's since they are off a 360
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0001_360_engine_head_porting/index.html

-
Back