318 4 barrel boat intake/ single plane/ # 2846346

-

Valleyant

Valleyant
Reaction score
IMG_2335.JPG
IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2338.JPG
I just got this intake. First impression is that it is very heavy. I want to use this on a hot 318 in a '70 Duster with automatic. I like a hi revving engine will this work for that. Can I just unbolt the housing that is presently on it to use a car thermostat housing? Wondering if anyone has had experience with these intakes. Maybe this weekend I can dismantle and look at it closer. Here are some pics.

Yup. The car stuff will bolt right on it. I've run one myself. They run good.

I've seen a few different industrial intakes. Some use a water crossover, but, yours looks to be the correct exhaust version. A car thermostat and cover should bolt right on, but, I would pull the old one off and check for bad corrosion. I'd also pull that plug in the front of the manifold, and install the correct nipple for the bypass hose before I get too much invested in cleaning that thing up. You may need to get an adaptor for the temp sender too, or find another location with the correct hole size and threads.

It has larger bores for the carb throttle plates to boot. I have one but have never used it.
I see it has both bolt patterns too, so, you could use either a Carter AFB, AVS, or most Holleys. You'd need and adapter for a spreadbore though.

Is the plenum fully open or does it have a front to rear divider? Hard to tell from the pics.

Thank you guys for the input. When I get it all taken apart, which really isn't alot, I know. I will look for rust etc.... I want to put it in a bath of evaporust for a week. I'll check back.

The last Mopar V8 I worked on was a '69 383 RR engine, and the last 318 I worked on was maybe 34 years ago when I helped my brother switch out a 318 for a better one in his '68 Satellite. Is this manifold the same weight as a 2 barrel 318 intake? it's super heavy. I have not weighed it yet but I bet an aluminum intake weighs 1/4 of this. After the initial Mopar V8 stuff I got into the 2.2L Turbo stuff and most recently Slant 6 stuff.

We had the two barrel version here around 1969-70 on production Valiants.

The last Mopar V8 I worked on was a '69 383 RR engine, and the last 318 I worked on was maybe 34 years ago when I helped my brother switch out a 318 for a better one in his '68 Satellite. Is this manifold the same weight as a 2 barrel 318 intake? it's super heavy. I have not weighed it yet but I bet an aluminum intake weighs 1/4 of this. After the initial Mopar V8 stuff I got into the 2.2L Turbo stuff and most recently Slant 6 stuff.

Should weigh about the same as a 2 barrel intake. Aluminum is about 1/2 weight, but is usually a little heavier since aluminum is not as strong.

Everything, exept for the plug where the waterpump bypass tube goes, came off the intake without too much drama. It's rusty inside but definately usuable, I think, after it gets cleaned....vinegar or evaporust etc. I will get some pics posted.

59A50DBB-F3C5-4F1D-9983-AE22F426FAEF.jpeg
I’m interested to see if you could get a part number off the intake. That transition alone would be worth a bunch. Sorry see the number in the title.

-
Back