318 and 10's

-
New avatar is the axle breaking launch with the 318

Swifter what's the money!???

Boy im sooooo scared of that axle breaking, wheel lifting, thundering banshee and im on the other side of the country. eeks :prayer: do you need a pilots license to operate that thing??:

Lol nah regular permit serves fine. I was more upset when the axle broke but if you're impressed then gold star for you! And nice fleet of mopars

So-I take it your looking for me for some reason,IF you want to go down the track fine i have no problem with that,You don't have to look very hard here to see that we have just took the duster down the track for it's first time and our best run was 11.30 so if your bad *** 318 is a ten sec car would you feel good winning,Also my comment was about your axle breaking if I remember,you said you don't have slicks but drag radials on your car,I know Cass (Dr.diff) and he is up and up but who knows maybe he got a bad batch of axles,Admit you don't have a stock 318,Ever do a hp calculator????? and what it takes a 3400lb car to do 10's and that's not 10.99 (your own words) .Whatever spare not here to make enemy's in fact have met ton's of great guy's on here in person at different events,So if our path's cross we'll go down the track and for me it'll be more fun against another Duster and if you need to here you have bigger balls there you go I just did--Steve

Also we have a 4-speed,If you have so many spare parts,throw a 833 in and we'll go down shifting together DEAL????? also i reply to ALL my pm's why didn't you send me one?????? Steve

Ok if this is true ,I'm in wis. and will meet you at great lakes and will bring my full dress show duster and we'll put some $$$$$$$$$$$$ on the line and see who flashes the win light first and we have 6 passes on our car and don't know what we are doing and just learning and setting up the car to go straight,Anyone can say anything on here including me,I'm calling you out right here right now---Let's do it !!!!!!!!! Steve a.k.a swifter

I answered your call $300... and I'll put my money on VG. (spareparts).. Why not pick a time and date? It sounds like spareparts was willing to run it, and I'm willing to throw in $300 to make it interesting, plus $300 for you should be a nice purse if you win ($600).

I mean all it is a 318 engine with a small shot and tuned chassis

Mike

I asked people if they knew of a 10 second 318, simply to get people thinking. Do I have one? Yes. I do not know what got swifter's goat as I never insisted it was a stock motor. His words. He got an attitude with me and called me out for a money race. As a street and grudge racer that's my neighborhood so I accept. He called me out saying I have a 10 second 318, when I agree to race he tells me pull the bottle?????
In the grudge game it's called a back peddle.
I didn't pm him because the one who makes the callout should check in on it.
I'm not going to put a stick in my car, if it's your callout don't make handicaps for why you shouldn't do it.
NONE of this is to bash Cass, I'll be ordering 35 spline axles and a new spool from him.
Steve has a nice car and maybe should have been careful about how he talks to some people, NOT saying he is a bad guy but I was being cool when he blows in and calls bullshit on me and demands I come back it by racing him for "$$$$$$$"

If it helps, the 318 has 2 full nitrous passes and the almost 3rd pass snapped an axle. I'm only 23 but not new to drag racing.

Wow, this thread is exactly why I stopped coming to this forum for a LONG time...I shoulda stayed away.

Newsflash to all the disbelievers- near stock 302's in fox body mustangs with a few minor bolt ons and a good 150-175 nitrous hit have been going ten's FOREVER...So why is it so hard to believe that a motor with a few extra cubes, in a bit of a heavier car, can do the same on a similar amount of spray?

This thread is sooo full of fail, especially the callouts and then the excuses...SpareParts, please get SOMEONE to film you taking the naysayer(s) to camp spanky with this combo when it gets back together since this phenomenon needs proof to have any inkling of truth! LOL!

Wow, this thread is exactly why I stopped coming to this forum for a LONG time...I shoulda stayed away.

Newsflash to all the disbelievers- near stock 302's in fox body mustangs with a few minor bolt ons and a good 150-175 nitrous hit have been going ten's FOREVER...So why is it so hard to believe that a motor with a few extra cubes, in a bit of a heavier car, can do the same on a similar amount of spray?

This thread is sooo full of fail, especially the callouts and then the excuses...SpareParts, please get SOMEONE to film you taking the naysayer(s) to camp spanky with this combo when it gets back together since this phenomenon needs proof to have any inkling of truth! LOL!
You sir are correct, WE are pissed off that someone let the cat out of the bag.... 318s, plus big nitrous loads can run tens... Nobody knew that the mighty 318 was a top secret combo that could churn out world beating power with a power adder. The orig poster is the first ever to go so fast with so little. Except for stock fox body 5.0s with minor mods of course.

guy at the local dragway runs a 300.00 dollar 318 a full size '79 truck. He runs stock eliminator. Has to weigh over 4000 lbs without him, so he actually adds weights in the bed. He runs low 13's. Not bad for a beast of a machine with a 300 dollar 318
YES, guys that run stock eliminator run 300 dollar 318s. your on to something there, I bet if he used a jasper re-man, he could reset the current record...them guys building 20k plus motors must be dumbasses

I'm only 23.

Shocking!

I'm so glad someone your age is involved with these cars and this sport. Your early posts come across as some self proclaimed bad assed street racer/Pinks contestant. That just doesn't fly with a lot of us older guys, me included. If you would have just posted your combo and what you achieved, i'm sure we'd have all given you your props and been very curious how you got there.

I don't think all is lost with a lot of guys here, just show some humility.....it will be well respected. :thumbrig:

Shocking!

I'm so glad someone your age is involved with these cars and this sport. Your early posts come across as some self proclaimed bad assed street racer/Pinks contestant. That just doesn't fly with a lot of us older guys, me included. If you would have just posted your combo and what you achieved, i'm sure we'd have all given you your props and been very curious how you got there.

I don't think all is lost with a lot of guys here, just show some humility.....it will be well respected. :thumbrig:

I took a different approach. The intent was to get people thinking of the platforms potential. To me (myself included) people don't learn when you just throw information in their face, but if you can present it in A way that they can stew on and form their own opinions and ideas then I feel there is a better chance to maybe get them to learn and hey maybe when one of your children or grand kids want a fun car but are low on cash you think of a little guy like me and try what I've done here.

For the record I am not sure if that "shocking" was sarcastic or if you actually think it's cool that a young gun can stir the pot a bit with a mopar.
I've spent a lot of time being told my old combos would never run without edelbrock heads or cal tracs or a nice Dana to hold it, I didn't let it knock me down, I got my *** in the shop and did my best. Now some guys wanna tell me I'm wrong and wanna invite me out to try and rub my face in it well simply put. I ain't going out like that. Sorry if this has turned anyone off.

You sir are correct, WE are pissed off that someone let the cat out of the bag.... 318s, plus big nitrous loads can run tens... Nobody knew that the mighty 318 was a top secret combo that could churn out world beating power with a power adder. The orig poster is the first ever to go so fast with so little. Except for stock fox body 5.0s with minor mods of course.

Just wanted to point out that a .063N jet is only a 150 shot. Hardly "big nitrous loads" I would be surprised if I'm the first to run this ET with so little but part of the point of the thread was to see who else is doing it. Thanks for your time

i run into this all the time with running a slant six... not the fastest one in the bullpen but im even with the world record for my class with an overgear so STFU! i like building more with less, makes you build a better motor, learn more about the effects of cam choice, gearing, etc. where those tenths and hundredths are hiding in the combo...

i run into this all the time with running a slant six... not the fastest one in the bullpen but im even with the world record for my class with an overgear so STFU! i like building more with less, makes you build a better motor, learn more about the effects of cam choice, gearing, etc. where those tenths and hundredths are hiding in the combo...

Thanks! I have learned that when the budget is low the knowledge better run high lol

like I said, shortage of funds causes a mind to think instead of obey. And always the obedient are offended. By the way, I think a 318 can push 10's without a bottle. I seen a 10.30 135mph 340 duster with iron heads and single four barrel running gas, so I'm believing 22 cubes isn't a full second difference. By the way, swifter has changed the tune of his song... funny LoL. I found nothing challenging in your thread from the start, just optimism

In terms of challenging people to think outside the box, it's not that hard. It's also much easier to do when the initiator does not put themselves as the example. That goes back to humility - and the age of 23. Those two things are mutually exclusive for another few years - at least in my experience...lol.
I said it before, and back even in the BJR years - it can be done. With a lot of work and some knowledge - it could even be done with factory casting 318 heads if you can get enough air though them. So simple physics says it can be done.
If you want to challenge - go read some of the 273 build threads by member 273. We had some very good disccussions without the chest thumping (yes - I read the initial post that way too..) and some cool discussion. Also - be prepared to not only discuss, but divulge.
Or - post avideo. I'm curious to see it run.
PS - Shearing axles isn't all about power - especially if it's not at the hit. So you might want to make sure the housing's not bent. You might have lost ET in that...

spareparts, did the axle break in first gear? if so you might want to check the sprag before putting another hit on your hotrod.

Yeah cut loose in first gear. I checked and I still have all the gears, last time it tore up a spray 2nd and 3rd were a parking brake so I am thinking I'm okay. We'll find out lol

Housing is arrow straight, had it in the press and checked it off a jig then built a tubular back brace and ran another tube underneath that ties the pumpkin into the perches, also has a drain plug and a jack pad. Turned out pretty cool IMO

Do not use yourself as the example?? Humility, and 23??? Umm, my experience is that when someone suggest something be done (or could be done), the common reply is "Then do it, prove it"! Spareparts started with the "doing it, and when slammed immediately by Swifter to "$$$$$$$, meet me, and anyone can post anything on here", he offered to prove it. Personally, I never doubted from the first post, so I found nothing offensive. Just a great story... and I believe 318'swillrun!!

Yeah cut loose in first gear. I checked and I still have all the gears, last time it tore up a spray 2nd and 3rd were a parking brake so I am thinking I'm okay. We'll find out lol

Housing is arrow straight, had it in the press and checked it off a jig then built a tubular back brace and ran another tube underneath that ties the pumpkin into the perches, also has a drain plug and a jack pad. Turned out pretty cool IMO

its your sprag you need to worry about. is your VB a low band apply, meaning if you down shift into first does it just coast till like 5mph? if so you need to replace the sprag, its toast and will grenade sometime in the near future...

You really need to take the trans apart to inspect the sprag. Having all gears isn't indicative of a sprag issue. This would be a HUGE deal if it was a 727.

You really need to take the trans apart to inspect the sprag. Having all gears isn't indicative of a sprag issue. This would be a HUGE deal if it was a 727.

i still think it is even on a 904, having a trans explosion is not how i want to go out...

-
Back