318 time slip

-
Hmm...that thing must be freak with all that torque? What was the stroke again?

Always wondered why the small block ran so well. Does it have smaller main/rod journals than the 383? Less friction? Better heads with better spark plug location? Compact block? Must be several things that contribute to the big power numbers. What is the deal here? Saw Dennis Mauer click off a 10.70 run at Bandimere last summer, in a 72 Dart. 5600 feet elevation, 75 degrees. That's really fast for Denver's elevation. 408 small block.

Always wondered why the small block ran so well. Does it have smaller main/rod journals than the 383? Less friction? Better heads with better spark plug location? Compact block? Must be several things that contribute to the big power numbers. What is the deal here? Saw Dennis Mauer click off a 10.70 run at Bandimere last summer, in a 72 Dart. 5600 feet elevation, 75 degrees. That's really fast for Denver's elevation. 408 small block.

Anymore info on that particular car? Bandi is one of the tracks I run at and my goal is 10.xx at Colorado altitude.

Anymore info on that particular car? Bandi is one of the tracks I run at and my goal is 10.xx at Colorado altitude.
Yea it was a Gold or tan Duster. I went and asked him if it had a Hemi! That's when I realized I knew Dennis from back in the 70s. He was Judy Lilly's mechanic. She raced a 340 Duster in Super Stock, and was very successful. You can contact Dennis at Maurers Performance. Tempe, Az. He has a complete Automotive Machine shop there.

Last edited:
Hi Mike
I think it was you that I purchased a LD4B manifold. I was going to put it on my 273. I have changed my mind and have bought a 318. Now i would like a pair of 302 heads. Do you have any or know of any for sale?
Thanks Dave
I don't but you I'll keep my eyes open. You could start a want ad but it will keep me busy deleting all the comments. LOL I thought that name was familiar.
#302's are good heads but they do have their place and limits.

I don't but you I'll keep my eyes open. You could start a want ad but it will keep me busy deleting all the comments. LOL I thought that name was familiar.
#302's are good heads but they do have their place and limits.
Just building a mild 318 engine to replace the 273 in my 65 Valiant Signet(111 wheel base). I want to keep it stock looking for sure using valve covers and exhaust manifolds

Just building a mild 318 engine to replace the 273 in my 65 Valiant Signet(111 wheel base). I want to keep it stock looking for sure using valve covers and exhaust manifolds
You can use #920's as well although they are 66-67 heads they don't have hardened seats.

Iv been saying this for years.
I was talking to a Ford and a Chevy guy when I was planning on using my 318. And they both was like ditch it and get a 340 or 360 318 sucks.
I said you do realize that a 318 is 16ci bigger than your beloved 302 and only 9 ci smaller than your beloved 327. With some scr a 318 will run. The reason they are weak from the factory is the low compression. It amazing me ppl sweat by a 302 but diss 318s

I was talking to a Ford and a Chevy guy when I was planning on using my 318. And they both was like ditch it and get a 340 or 360 318 sucks.
I said you do realize that a 318 is 16ci bigger than your beloved 302 and only 9 ci smaller than your beloved 327. With some scr a 318 will run. The reason they are weak from the factory is the low compression. It amazing me ppl sweat by a 302 but diss 318s
Yea, ain’t that some chit, OH wait! MoPar people say the same thing!

The 318 is born as a people mover, nothing more.
Low compression ratio, small valves, room stick cam, not a 4bbl. until the middle of the smog years...

If your not fully porting the 302 heads, then skip right over them & build what you have or go to a 360 head. If your going to build a snotty 318, go to the Edelbrock head.

That's a great of stating the obvious !!
Yea, ain’t that some chit, OH wait! MoPar people say the same thing!

The 318 is born as a people mover, nothing more.
Low compression ratio, small valves, room stick cam, not a 4bbl. until the middle of the smog years...

If your not fully porting the 302 heads, then skip right over them & build what you have or go to a 360 head. If your going to build a snotty 318, go to the Edelbrock head.

20171102_154222.jpg

This is my 273. I love the stock looking motor. Unique and pretty. All I want is a little more power for the exact same stock look.

It is a hot rod cultural phenomenon.......people used to step over 400 small block chevies, low compression, cast cranks, 400 mopars get stepped over, low compression, cast cranks, 360 mopars, same thing.......they are all considered junk until people get their head out of their a$$ and realize the potential that lurks inside. Teeners never had pistons that addressed the lack of compression, 360's didn't have a lot of "shelf" pistons for a very long time, 400 mopar still suffers unless you are building a stroker.
We are getting stuff now that addresses many of the weak points of Teeners, just 30 years too late.

It is a hot rod cultural phenomenon.......people used to step over 400 small block chevies, low compression, cast cranks, 400 mopars get stepped over, low compression, cast cranks, 360 mopars, same thing.......they are all considered junk until people get their head out of their a$$ and realize the potential that lurks inside. Teeners never had pistons that addressed the lack of compression, 360's didn't have a lot of "shelf" pistons for a very long time, 400 mopar still suffers unless you are building a stroker.
We are getting stuff now that addresses many of the weak points of Teeners, just 30 years too late.
I always wanted a 400. I know when I first got into mopars and started learning about them pl always talked about 383s and 440s but never heard of ppl building 400s. I never understood why. That makes since that there was no performance piston option.

-
Back