331 Hemi Progress

-
I went parts picken again yesterday and I saw a box full of header elbows .
Not sure what size . You already have what you need ?

I went parts picken again yesterday and I saw a box full of header elbows .
Not sure what size . You already have what you need ?
I have a few pieces, but I will need more. Primaries are 2".

Amazing how nice plug wire separators make it look.
HEMI WIRES4.jpg
HEMI WIRES3.jpg

I like to run my wires like that. It has a uniform and orderly look to it.

After 20 years of car shows it sure is refreshing to see motors that aren't the run of the mill choices. I love your early hemi!!!

That certainly gets two "Thumbs up" on the cool factor. It's also why I still like flat heads. They just look nice. Of course newer engine designs are more efficient with higher performance potential. But sometimes that's not the point.

Gee those flat head ford V8s! I do not know how they even run with the exhaust ports running between the cylinders. They would cause a lot of distortion to those bores like that!

Ok sent me the hdmi. I just got a couple of the Dodge Power Giant
trucks. One is a 58 W300, 4x4 the Hemi will look right at home in it.
Send asap.

For those who do not know what a Dodge Power giant truck is here is a introduction.

The Power Giants Era
The Power Giant Era was an Era of Bad sales for Dodge. in 1957 Dodge adopted an all new way of identifying, this year's models were known as the "K" series. Body styling for 1957 was all "Forward Look" in design, although the cab and box were both carried over from 1956. all sheet metal from the cowl forward was new, and included a one piece hood that opened 90 degrees, new grille, and hooded headlights. Also new for this year, was the Push-Button controlled Load-Flite transmission, and the new cab-wide swept side bed. The swept side, made from the rear fenders of a '57 Dodge Suburban (station wagon) onto a step side bed -now called the utiline. This created a fin-effect on the back of the truck. Desoto swept sides were different though, they had the fenders of a 56 Plymouth. Also Desoto tailgates were canted inward. The conventional cab 4x4 was all new for this year, this created the 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4x4 that could seat 3-wide and have a V-8 engine.

Last edited:
Ok sent me the hdmi. I just got a couple of the Dodge Power Giant
trucks. One is a 58 W300, 4x4 the Hemi will look right at home in it.
Send asap.
Most definitely no one here would turn down that setup if opportunity and price was ideal. You may be only one in the country with that setup in a classic truck?

I turned down a 6.4 long block (non super charged.) setup for my B-body at very responsible price. But brain took over saying "You want to pull a very nice running 440 at 400+ HP to spend 20k total (after K-framing, fuel, exhaust, electrical upgrades) to retro a 6.4 to gain 120 HP?

But this new Demon beast is entirely a different animal. Sorry 440. I think it may be a must.

Power Giant for 1958
In '58, Dodge re-designed their line-up after only 1 year. Again they were only new from the cowl forward, making a larger engine compartment by enlarging the fenders and hood. The grille for '58 was made of 3 separate horizontal bars identical to the one above the bumper. This was the first year that dual headlights were an option on all models.

This was the last year for the swept side, replaced by the all new swept line bed, the swept side was discontinued in January 1959. A new grille was in order for '59, a 1 piece cross hair grille was installed, while the rest of the fascia stayed the same. New arrows were added to the sides of the hood over the louvers, where a piece of molding had been for '58. The dash was re-designed this year and incorporated a glove box in front of the passenger. New step wells were added to the cab to ease entry and exit of the cab.

This was the last year for the Power-Giants Era. For '60 very little changed, the grille went to a multiple horizontal bar, 1 piece unit. other than that, only the placement of the molding changed.

somewhere between 1959 and 1960, dodge trucks started to be welded in places where they were formerly bolted, such as in the construction of the front fascia. also, it appears that the radiator got thinner, as the top plate between the radiator and the fascia got thicker.

dodgead.jpg

Last edited:
Power Giant for 1958
In '58, Dodge re-designed their line-up after only 1 year. Again they were only new from the cowl forward, making a larger engine compartment by enlarging the fenders and hood. The grille for '58 was made of 3 separate horizontal bars identical to the one above the bumper. This was the first year that dual headlights were an option on all models.

This was the last year for the swept side, replaced by the all new swept line bed, the swept side was discontinued in January 1959. A new grille was in order for '59, a 1 piece cross hair grille was installed, while the rest of the fascia stayed the same. New arrows were added to the sides of the hood over the louvers, where a piece of molding had been for '58. The dash was re-designed this year and incorporated a glove box in front of the passenger. New step wells were added to the cab to ease entry and exit of the cab.

This was the last year for the Power-Giants Era. For '60 very little changed, the grille went to a multiple horizontal bar, 1 piece unit. other than that, only the placement of the molding changed.

somewhere between 1959 and 1960, dodge trucks started to be welded in places where they were formerly bolted, such as in the construction of the front fascia. also, it appears that the radiator got thinner, as the top plate between the radiator and the fascia got thicker.

View attachment 1716068773
A truck setup would certainly have some advantages. Just being full framed from the factory to start. The only clearance issues are probably just stock front inner fenders. Which should have plenty of customizing room. And with the big 4x4 drivetrain options? Should be no problem for even that beast. The only question. Hot rod? Or throwing mud out of a pit run? (Which would be crazy with a classic truck. But crazy gets the crowd.) Lol.

This is the same truck as my 58 & 59 except mine came with a sprayer tank on it(now long gone). The 59 was a 2 wheel drive compressor truck. And mine ain't nearly in that shape.

image (2).jpg

Last edited:
This is the same truck as my 58 except mine came with a sprayer tank on it. And mine ain't nearly in that shape.

View attachment 1716068781
That's completely different. You think a 1000+HP race engine is the match? It would certainly draw a crowd. Lol. But a twin turbo Cummins might do a better job? At 1/2 the cost. With even more torque.

But it is different.

Okay forget that Hemi head question. I think what I'll do is take a 318 poly motor and put a 360 crank and pistons in it. And do a little bit of Port work and bigger valves to the poly heads an a little more cam and try to find a four Barrel or two four barrel manifold for it.
The poly motor is a torque monster so imagine it could move that truck.
That's if I can't get my Hemi from rrr.

Last edited:
Okay forget that Hemi head question. I think what I'll do is take a 318 poly motor and put a 360 crank and pistons in it. And do a little bit of Port work and bigger valves to the poly heads an a little more cam and try to find a four Barrel or two four barrel manifold for it.
If I remember right, there is some combo of factory poly block and gen 1 hemi heads that will work together. A 360 hemi would make for an interesting combo for sure.

here are a few options

Poly 318 A-block Cross Ram Induction - Poly318.com

-
Back