340 or 360?

340 or 360?

• Total voters
-
If I had an open ended budget to put anything together, I'd go with a Dart Gen. III for the foundation. With absolutely no apologies or regrets.

I think the Op is 340, or 360 why?

The 340 is the premium small block and always will be!

The 360 like the 400, it is a truck motor with a cast crank...

But if the OP wants specific usage for cost involved then it will change the argument...

We can say 318-LA or Poly 318...
Also 383 hipo against 400 etc.
426 max-wedge against a 440, the list is endless.

''Horses for Courses''...

360.......built using equal parts to a 340, it will make more power.......it's got 20 more cubic inches which could means it's got 20 more horse power........how much RPM eather one will turn is immaterial, RPM coasts money, get it right, you're a hero, get it wrong you're left crying over a pile of junk...............

If I had an open ended budget to put anything together, I'd go with a Dart Gen. III for the foundation. With absolutely no apologies or regrets.
I'd do a mountain motor 2nd generation Hemi but that's me. lol

What does better mean... Faster, cheaper, more torque. more hp, more valuable, more desirable, bigger, smaller, better mileage ???
I'm an asshole and would prefer a 1968 340 Dart GTS to a 1968 360 Dart GTS.
I prefer the original artists over cover bands too...and i've heard some good cover bands.

Last edited:
340 all day! That's because that's what I built for the last 40 years.this Short stroke big bore of a 340 make it a pretty hot bullet always has been. 360s do enjoy the advantage of the longer stroke and will produce more torque which is also a definite plus. But a forged crank 340 was just a better mill than any 360 that ever came out of the factory and in my opinion hands down the best small block Mopar ever produced. That would be reflected by the racing programs that always use 340 as a base.

Whatever you can find a good core in for the least amount of money which tends to lean greatly to the 360 and 5.9 since they were made for far longer. You can build a nice street motor out of the 318 or 5.2 just as easily.

In keeping with the 340 vs 360 theme, early (1971-1974 cast) 360 block. Heavy main webs a lot of people have put four bolt caps on successfully and many have sonic tested that were good for .060 over 340 bores and beyond. Plus the five of them I’ve had my grubby mitts upon didn’t have the stupid counterbore in the lifters a 340 does. That makes running roller lifters less of a hassle, too. So, yeah, positive deck 340 piston 370 plus inch motor that could stand all the power available from a good set of aftermarket heads. Sign Me Up!

If a person doesn't have the engine already, I look at 340's like the restorer's engine or class racer's engine. In today's world, I see no reason to spend the money to buy a short block 340 at their cost when a 360 is 30x more available and 1/4 the cost. 360 will work great as a street rod engine, a bracket engine, pickup engine, or a stroker foundation.

A built 360 not only beats 340’s but puts most big block Mopars on their knees crying. Lol . I can’t tell you how many guys I’ve heard say “ how does that small block run so good.

These replies are all way too short. Where's @AJ/FormS ?? :rofl:

But seriously, I was kinda hoping to see more answers with actual reasoning behind why they'd choose which engine. Not because that's what they have. So far what I've learned in this thread is if you want low end torque, go with the 360. Higher RPM, 340. And if you care about period correctness/originality, 340. Is that right?.

I'd love to learn more about the performance potential comparing the two.

I personally will take any internally balanced small block, 273, 318, or 340. In reality they are all good. What do you have? What do you want to do with it. Build it, stop worrying about all these nits.

Like me, many don't care how powerful your 360 is, that's just chest puffing.
I still prefer a 340....Only a 340 is a 340!

Like me, many don't care how powerful your 360 is, that's just chest puffing.
I still prefer a 340....Only a 340 is a 340!
If you have to say "340".... isn't that just chest puff'n ??? :poke:

If you aren’t married to sun 3.50 gears and stock converters the 340 will out run a 360 all day long. It’s simple physics. Bigger bore, shorter stroke, more RPM. That’s how you go fast.
So a 318 will beat a 273 all day long? Bigger bore same stroke same RPM.....there is a 4th gorilla sitting on this bench...compression. I think a 360 with some 340 ish compression would shine against a 340 on the street. People still stroke 340s for some reason.

When I was stocking up 360’s were 50.00-75.00 for a block and crank. That all I wanted. Since I’m drag race only I’m not going to a car show, puffing out my chest, and saying it’s got a 340. Nobody is going to climb under YOUR car anyway so I would just lie if I wanted to. On the track I gain 20 cubic inches and money in my pocket to buy good rockers, good rods, or better heads. That’s a win win in my life. See you at the finish line.

360. Cheaper because assholes think the 340 is priceless. 360. Because the longer stroke delivers more torque at a lower RPM, perfect for the street. 360. Because they're easier to find.

How about this ???

View attachment 1715713513
Das more like it! Although it's a TRW replacement, it's still about the same as the 68-71 piston.

That's always been one of my dream builds. To build up a blueprinted 71 340 dead stock but with the 68 4 speed cam with everything machined to perfect spec and stick it in something light.

Never happen. L

-
Back