340 TA Value

-
I'm just trying to throw others off the trail lol. yes it'll fit in just about anything and is probably the most valuable production mopar small block ever made and very possibly the best.

What makes them that? The heads that you have to port the hell out of to take advantage of the relocated pushrod location? The six pack setup you can still buy new? Or is it the same 340 short block as all the other millions made? Which is it?

Without the car it belongs in, it's just a 340 six pack.....IF it still even has that.

What makes them that? The heads that you have to port the hell out of to take advantage of the relocated pushrod location? The six pack setup you can still buy new? Or is it the same 340 short block as all the other millions made? Which is it?

Without the car it belongs in, it's just a 340 six pack.....IF it still even has that.
Yep, nope, and definitely no. The heads can be ported more than any other l a production head , pushrod relocation and solid lifter rocker arm assembly. As far as six pack you cannot buy the manifold new anymore, though aftermarket carburetors are available new from Holly. But the thicker block webbing that was designed for to accommodate a four bolt main cap increases the strength of the block, put that together with overall rarity and you basically have the cream of the crop of production la small blocks, designed from a racing pedigree no doubt!!

Last edited:
I have a 340 TA engine that I am considering stroking and would like some opinions as to weather the engine is more valuable to resell as an original TA or not. I would like to use the original 6pack setup. Heads are all original except for porting and polishing. Bore is .030 over. I could purchase a short block from blueprint engines and sell my engine separately instead of building it. Thoughts?

go to Moparts and contact Alaskian_TA, he's the guy to talk to.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

Yep, nope, and definitely no. The heads can be ported more than any other l a production head , pushrod relocation and solid lifter rocker arm assembly. As far as six pack you cannot buy the manifold new anymore, though aftermarket carburetors are available new from Holly. But the thicker block webbing that was designed for to accommodate a four bolt main cap increases the strength of the block, put that together with overall rarity and you basically have the cream of the crop of production la small blocks, designed from a racing pedigree no doubt!!

Right, but "AS IS" those heads ain't any different than any other open chamber big valve small block head. Plus, when ported to take advantage of them, then you got the guys that say "yeah they aren't original anymore". lol I've seen it right here on this forum. ...and that's the ONLY reason those heads were concocted. So they COULD be ported. Especially now, with the advent of decently priced aluminum heads, it just doesn't pay to mess with iron unless restricted by rules, or doing it from a restoration standpoint.....so IMO the value is limited, unless you have the right car sittin in your driveway.

I had 6-7 TA and AARs back in late 80s and early 90s. I was into them big time, but I sold them before they were big $ cars. They are somewhat unique cars in a few ways besides the engine, some had fast ratio steering. From the factory , a real stance. The side exhaust was a cool oem idea. Light weight fiberglass fresh air hood. Cool graphics and colors. Spoilers. Just a cool package.
Having a real and correct TA engine sets the car apart from another clone car. RRR is correct, but this engine was a factory piece ie 1970, and unique in its own ways and compared to what is built today, just what it is and was.

-
Back