340 Vs 360

-
@Ironracer - Oooo, stolen engine? Dang! Sorry to read that one. I hope them sumbeaochs get what they deserve. When your a kid and steal candy or do it her dumb stuff is one thing but adults only steal engines and they should know better. Shame on them.

On with the topic…..

you know better then that
Can't say I do. lol
A kid at another high school had a 68 Roadrunner that did fairly well, real well. His old man ran the local tune up shop.
There was also a 68 Charger with a 383 that did real well. Both were factory stock.
I don't think either one lost against any factory small block on the street.
Some big blocks were trimmed by those guys.
My buddie had a 1970 W30/455 Olds 442 Could pull stumps but really was a turd.
A kid with a 70 LS6 Chevelle pretty much ruled until I built the Barracuda in 1979

@Ironracer - Oooo, stolen engine? Dang! Sorry to read that one. I hope them sumbeaochs get what they deserve. When your a kid and steal candy or do it her dumb stuff is one thing but adults only steal engines and they should know better. Shame on them.

On with the topic…..
What was the topic? lol

The same ol’tired *** retarded arguments….

340-360 sillinesses…… I think….

LMAO, IDGAFBut I’ll use and abuse them all at the track!

Can't say I do. lol
A kid at another high school had a 68 Roadrunner that did fairly well, real well. His old man ran the local tune up shop.
There was also a 68 Charger with a 383 that did real well. Both were factory stock.
I don't think either one lost against any factory small block on the street.
Some big blocks were trimmed by those guys.
My buddie had a 1970 W30/455 Olds 442 Could pull stumps but really was a turd.
A kid with a 70 LS6 Chevelle pretty much ruled until I built the Barracuda in 1979
you have seen you buddy 69 cuda 440 posting all the legit times for years here
and what won the stock finals and what the racers used for cars
383 roadrunners were no where to be found
if you ran slower then 14.7 you coudnt drive trap mph was 94 and up
340s cleaned house
w30 455s were turds interesting lol 13.9 14.0@ 101 mph lol part of the list of 10 fastest cars in 1970

Well after 10 years of incredible informational arguments from our impressive members the consensus is the reason why the 360 is better than the 340 is because it is cheap.
All things being equal which they never were.
To wit:
1. The better performance engine from the factory was the 340 but the 360 was cheaper.
2. In order to unlock the performance potential of the 360 one must replace the pistons, the heads (or bigger valves like the 340 2.02 intakes), and replace the intake manifold with one such as the 1971-1973 340 intake. These changes are affordable to do because the 360 is cheaper.
3. You can bore the 360 block to its maximum and it will result in the same bore as the 340. Throw a stroker kit on it and you got 408 cubes! Do the same procedure with a 340 block and you get 418 cubes! Everybody supporting the 360 because of its bigger factory displacement should now advocate the 340 block because it now has a bigger displacement than the stroker 360 block! But the 360 block is cheaper to start with.
4. I skipped over the induction changes such as tunnel rams, cross rams, inline dual quads, turbo chargers, blowers, and N2O. The 360 is still cheaper.

Ode to the mighty 340. lol
I'm heading back to the B/RB forum. :D

Motor Trend track test
68 Plymouth Roadrunner 383/335 hp 4spd ET 15.00 @ 93.00 mph
68 Plymouth Barracuda 340/275hp 4spd ET 15.20 @ 92.00 mph :lol:
I had a stock '68 Fury III, 4 dr hrdtp. Police package (dual mirrors, dual exhaust, disc brakes, and 383 commando). It ran 15.2's in the 1/4 mile. 727, 3.23. The car weighed at the start line about 4400 lbs.

Like! @Ironracer sweet Duster.

Oh yeaaaaa, I remember that! You got banned from that stupid ***? Dang! He is such a women! Yea, that’s the guy with the I-D-10-T problem swearing up and down to everyone he is right that your engine increases its cubic inch size through rpm right now!

He’s having the nerve to argue against me like a women does right now and then…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then he calls me a *****! Freakin hysterical!

I don’t know where that meme of the ugly fat kid behind the computer screen is but this is what I picture when he argues.

Most Canadians I have met in person are the most cool minded easy going fun loving people I met. I worked along side Bombardier in .N.Y. for a while and had a blast!

But not everyone can be cool people with level heads and not act like girls. It’s just statistically impossible.
That's it cry it out, doesn't the White Nights rescuing the damsel in distress make you feel like a special little princes don't forget to thank them by taking what your good at, obviously it ain't insults :)

This thread needs free samples of this. Maybe a tractor trailer full of them.

OqmJu9b.gif

That's it cry it out, doesn't the White Nights rescuing the damsel in distress make you feel like a special little princes don't forget to thank them by taking what your good at, obviously it ain't insults :)
Thanks for coming back Princess.

Yawn….

I might just get tired of typing

“Thanks for proving me right yet again “

This thread needs free samples of this. Maybe a tractor trailer full of them.

View attachment 1716037588
Thanks for the laugh!

Please deliver a tractor trailer load to the above. He needs it!

Man! I like the way this guy thinks. It takes extremes to have the small things materialize for that measurable difference. As in the ones you can clearly see at the track. On the street, not so much.

Where ya from Frosty?
I'm from a regional town in Australia.
Out here 318's are a helluva lot easier to get than 360's.
And 340's? Forget about it!

For this reason mostly I've enjoyed playing with 318s, but my experiences are that within a given engine family, the bigger cubic inch engine has the most easily realized power potential.

If you start with fewer cubic inches and wanna be competitive, you should be prepared to compensate with cubic dollars. :lol:

I'd like to see some of the guys here stop with the personal comments. It somewhat brings the calibre of the discussion down.
These people know who they are.

You guys probably would discover that you agree on many more things than you disagree about and most likely would be mates irl.

We can all agree/disagree about things and even hold some judgements based on what is said.
Everybody doesn't have to like everyone.

But if nobody's losing money, sex or beer over it, i think we can probably just chalk it up to personal differences and keep those judgements to ourselves.

I have two nieces, they're 5 and 9.
They've been taught that if you can't say something nice, it's usually better if you don't say anything at all.
If they can manage it, I think we all can.

E
Well after 10 years of incredible informational arguments from our impressive members the consensus is the reason why the 360 is better than the 340 is because it is cheap.
All things being equal which they never were.
To wit:
1. The better performance engine from the factory was the 340 but the 360 was cheaper.
2. In order to unlock the performance potential of the 360 one must replace the pistons, the heads (or bigger valves like the 340 2.02 intakes), and replace the intake manifold with one such as the 1971-1973 340 intake. These changes are affordable to do because the 360 is cheaper.
3. You can bore the 360 block to its maximum and it will result in the same bore as the 340. Throw a stroker kit on it and you got 408 cubes! Do the same procedure with a 340 block and you get 418 cubes! Everybody supporting the 360 because of its bigger factory displacement should now advocate the 340 block because it now has a bigger displacement than the stroker 360 block! But the 360 block is cheaper to start with.
4. I skipped over the induction changes such as tunnel rams, cross rams, inline dual quads, turbo chargers, blowers, and N2O. The 360 is still cheaper.
Everything revolves around cheap with alot of folks. The arguments tend to get delusional especially with 318 guys. I get where I'm done let the misinformed be misinformed ...in the end 340s are out there its just when you find them they arent scrap price like a 318, also a 318 will never be " converted " to a 340, if it could be done it would have been done 40 years ago. The arguments are always moot and end on what a 340 costs, I've seen people say " yeah but the 318 is good on gas..." ok weren't we talking performance?

E

Everything revolves around cheap with alot of folks. The arguments tend to get delusional especially with 318 guys. I get where I'm done let the misinformed be misinformed ...in the end 340s are out there its just when you find them they arent scrap price like a 318, also a 318 will never be " converted " to a 340, if it could be done it would have been done 40 years ago. The arguments are always moot and end on what a 340 costs, I've seen people say " yeah but the 318 is good on gas..." ok weren't we talking performance?
Bravo!! Most Mopar guys cheap, always have been and always will be. LOL

Indeed! The birds go cheap cheap cheap….

IMO, the 318. Performance wise. It can do well for its size. That’s where it ends. Size.

Bravo!! Most Mopar guys cheap, always have been and always will be. LOL
I wouldn't say now what I paid for my basket case H code Swinger in 1993 ( it may upset some it was that cheap) with a trailer full of spare parts LOL! At the time it was a deal but remember no one wanted these cars back then, they weren't gold like now you had to know what you were buying. Not many people cared about 340s etc. or A bodies. B bodies were the thing with big blocks and Mopar was always bottom of the barrel guys with money to burn owned other makes and models and newer cars LOL! One of my first cars was a 69 Coronet 500 and I wish i had kept it but it was a 318 car and I had to get rid of one, as i had 2 cars at the time I kept the 340 A body, mainly because it was a factory performance model. This is another reason i dont argue with book reading folk, alot of what I have to say comes from my experiences as does alot of other guys on here. its foolishness to argue with those that remember how it was and is. Now do I drive these cars daily? no but I have I had Dusters with slant 6 also..very dependable and reliable at the time. I owned the Duster in 1990 or so.

Indeed! The birds go cheap cheap cheap….

IMO, the 318. Performance wise. It can do well for its size. That’s where it ends. Size.
I agree they run and run good on the street and can be alot of fun. I will always look at a v8 318 valiant or dart even a 4 door they are fun to drive on the street. But I would instantly think"swap in a 360 with 2.5 inch exhaust LOL!"

LOL, yea, a 42 cube increase is not to be snubbed so quickly.
In the big block world that’s the obvious 400-440 swap.

if you went on a chev forum would you see threads were guys take a 1976 180 hp 350 and put all the 327, 365hp pieces on it and then tell the 1966 Corvette owners their 350 is better than their corvette's 365 hp 327?

IDK!!!! Some Chevy guys can be a bit weird!
(Then again, that’s not a Chevy guy problem ether.)

-
Back