360 build for dart swinger

-
Yes about the tires this summer I basically just cruised town. I did not get carried away came with the poly glass tires and another set of smaller radials that looked really bad.

That's the size of the ploys
have radials for the spring at the tire shop they are a hair bigger still 14" the only size that is really comparable in size

Basically a toy drive to the city 30 miles away With some good power to play with here and there I don't 400 hp at the wheels but enough to surprise someone

Do you have the heads off the 10k mile motor? What are the casting numbers of on them? Just FYI all pre-magnum 360 heads are basically the same as 340 4bbl heads accept 360s (and late 340s) had 1.88" intake valves. Don't go chasing J or X heads because a 75' 360 will likely be as good of a starting point if the head is healthy, as you noted the exhaust seats like to get pounded in. If I may interject on heads, if you don't have a good use-able pair look to new, either aluminum, EQ Magnum, or LA-X heads. I prefer aluminum because they are lighter, easier to port and are easier to repair. Stock irons are great and can make good power accept when they need seats replaces, new guides, valves, port work, this adds up so do your homework and math on the direction you take. Since we don't know your piston height and possible piston cc it is hard to guess what your static compression will be with whatever head and gasket combo.

A 350-400hp street 360 is obtainable easily with the correct matching parts and that is the key, parts that are designed to work with your combo.

Rumblefish is steering you in the right direction.

here goes I have a 318 car and want to build a good streetable 360 now I have a 360 out of a pick up with less than 10000 miles but pulled the heads and they are 60cc 318 heads with the exhaust valve seats pounded out on two cylinder cross hatch is still in the bores would like to hone cylinders and bump compression and get some help picking the right pieces if that's doable in your guy opinion.i also have another 360 out of a motor home low comp engine that I have to go pick up it was rebuilt and a 727 but the guys plans went south. Wondering if it could have j heads. Have thought about a stroker but don't want to put 10gs into a engine or so the machine shop quoted me. I have dougs headers Eddie intake holley carb or Eddie carb and have waited on buying a converter.
Would like some help with this. I'm a heavy duty mechanic but haven't built a hot street motor for a long time . Would like something that's really healthy but also that the wife will still drive. Thanks in advance
my 360 motor home engine had 318 industrial heads on it, put ported and milled 302s on it, she hauls!

Bottom line you dont get something for nothing, machine shops costs have gone up. As a reference, my 355 sbc in my vette is an all cast motor except aluminum intake with a holley carb and headers. Dropped it off at engine builder, block crank rods, he supplied heads cam pistons etc. Bottom line i got a motor built for $4000.00 dyno tuned with warranty. 350 hp and 390 tq He used 882 truck heads as they are beefy and he has his own formula for porting. Car is a daily driver as well. From here on in if you want more HP and TQ you buy aluminum heads and bump up compression and cam. COST INCREASES then.

My 426 low deck big block in my duster makes 525 HP 552 TQ has good manors pump gas 9.98-1 compression solid flat tappet cam. Cost me $13K carb to pan Dyno tuned.

300-350 hp 360 engine would work well.

You can find decent iron factory heads for 500ish if you look around, ready to bolt on. Put a decent intake/carb, well sorted out ignition, headers and a 702/703 voodoo/XE268h comp cam or similar and it will be capable mid/high 100's in the 1/4 .

If you want fresh heads, go with the iron 2.02 LA-X head from brian at IMM. They work great, flow well and stomp a mudhole in stock ede heads performance wise. The weight isn't an issue when you make a bunch more power.

Thanks for all the ideas the heads I have are casting number 2843675-3
Just looking on Google they are 318 heads 178 int and 150 ex and I believe 60cc the pistons are dished and below deck about 160 thou. I realize the machine shop rates have went up I use them a lot in my business. Just didn't want to go over board. Would like a happy medium waited 25 years to buy the car. So I have time to pick away at it and get what I want. The block casting number is 4006830-360-10 and the date is 4/12/77

Put a set of pistons in it. A decent cam and Indy Lax heads. The Lax heads are $1000 from indy. $100 more gets the 2.02 intakes if you want them.

March 3-4
Indy cylinder head swap meet at indy state fair grounds.

Put a set of pistons in it. A decent cam and Indy Lax heads. The Lax heads are $1000 from indy. $100 more gets the 2.02 intakes if you want them.

March 3-4
Indy cylinder head swap meet at indy state fair grounds.
If you have the scratch, as in cash in hand, make the show and get your heads. Sorry about not having enough for the short block later.

If you have the scratch, as in cash in hand, make the show and get your heads. Sorry about not having enough for the short block later.

Pistons rings bearings cam gaskets lifters maybe bore the block what are we talking? $2000- 2500

So after work today I pulled the 10k engine down there is no scuffing can see the crosshatching crank is standard on the rods and 10 under on the mains thinking a quick hone to shine it up a set of Pistons rings, bearings ect ect then picking a set of heads up maybe get a polish on the crank.

Next question I have for you guys is would you guys go with kb Pistons or a set of forged

Oh and so you guys are aware I'm not computer savy I do like all the info just not to sure where the like button is. Given a bit of time I'm sure I will figure it out thanks again for all the info and help on this.

image.jpg
Here is my car

image.jpg

Oh and so you guys are aware I'm not computer savy I do like all the info just not to sure where the like button is. Given a bit of time I'm sure I will figure it out thanks again for all the info and help on this.

The like, thanks, agree and disagree are the thumbs up, smiley face, green check and the red x that is below the words on the right. hit one if it's the wrong one hit the undo an try agin.

Nice Dart

KB has forged and hyperutecics.

I often do the KB hyper pistons. Cheaper than forged and strong, but fragile at the same time because of the added silicone. You can not allow detonation run rampant on these type of slugs.
A nice thing about the hyper slugs is the can run very tight in the cylinder. They run quiter because the rock less.

Most of my builds have been with the KB hyperU pistons.

So I have found a set of alumiunumheads from performance world heads in British Columbia they are 63cc chambers. I'm wanting to know what Pistons will get me to zero deck or do I have to deck the block I'm going to go with the voodoo 702 cam or a thumper cam. I did play around with a comp calculator and I ended up with 10.5:1 using zero on the deck height and a 0.32 gasket. Now I know that is getting pretty high but if I go with a different head gasket that will lower it some that piston also was +9.66 cc. Some more insight would be great.

KB-107 or the Speed Pro/Federal Mogual 116 Skug. Both are hyper U slugs. Decking of the block is needed.
Use a .050 gasket. Cometic can make them for you if there not on the shelf.
That should drop you so we’ll enough.

I run my slugs at zero deck and a .038 thick gasket. That’s just under 11-1 (IIRC, it is 10.8-1) and my mildly milled heads bring it up to 11-1 on the nose.

My cam is a large solid Comp 294S. It works on pump 93 just fine.

KB-107 or the Speed Pro/Federal Mogual 116 Skug. Both are hyper U slugs. Decking of the block is needed.
Use a .050 gasket. Cometic can make them for you if there not on the shelf.
That should drop you so we’ll enough.

I run my slugs at zero deck and a .038 thick gasket. That’s just under 11-1 (IIRC, it is 10.8-1) and my mildly milled heads bring it up to 11-1 on the nose.

My cam is a large solid Comp 294S. It works on pump 93 just fine.
Alright this helps roughly how much would you have to have removed ?

-
Back