360 build for dart swinger

-
Don't expect much out of those heads. Marginally better than a stock iron 340/360 head that's been mildly ported.

Edelbrock are about 975 each give or take that is the quote I got from the machine shop summit racing has the same set for 683 at piece not sure if that is Canadian or American didn't get that far but even if it would be about 875 a piece. Just was wondering if it was a alright head

Update alright I have found a set of j heads and bowl blended and ported them they 2.02/1.60 valves kb107 Pistons Im on the fence about camshafts I have been looking at the xe274hr I have 3:91 gears in the rear I have also thought about going solid roller block is ready for assembly. Wondering what your thoughts are on this camshaft ?

Cam specs are lift on int .538 exh .534 intake centreline 106 duration @50 on intake 224 intake on exhaust 230

What size tires?

I like the combo. I run that cam in the wife’s car w/3.55’s & 26 inch tires, Edelbrock heads, 600 AVS TTI’s Weiand Stealth, but, more gear would hurt it at all!
LOL

Here is a similar HR being used by another poster Hellrats
.525/530 270/278 219/227 112/106 1800 5800 Lunati HR1800-5800 2000 stall
Howards and Bullet are also good cams
If you want superior inverse radius lobes fill out this form inverse radius allows less duration for a given profile, or an easier profile, or more- whatever
Street Performance | Jones Cams

Here is a similar HR being used by another poster Hellrats
.525/530 270/278 219/227 112/106 1800 5800 Lunati HR1800-5800 2000 stall
Howards and Bullet are also good cams
If you want superior inverse radius lobes fill out this form inverse radius allows less duration for a given profile, or an easier profile, or more- whatever
Street Performance | Jones Cams
Thanks for the info I will look into that

Your listed lift and ICL don't match up to the XE274HR Comp spec sheet so you must mean the XE274H, not HR.

DCR comes out to 7.5, not bad. (I personally would use a 1/2 step step smaller cam, like that in post #62; same DCR, a bit milder idle and a tad more gas mileage.) With 3.91 rear gears and the tire size, you'll have pretty decent wheel torque regardless... more than the tries will grip from a dead stop... and about 15% more than RF's 3.55 gear and 26" tire.

IMHO, a TC in the 2500 range is about right for that DCR, etc. We use a 2200 stall TC in an 8:1 DCR engine with 3.55 gears and it'll break tires loose at a bit over half throttle from a dead stop in a lighter early A body.

You don't want to get a dcr over 8.5:1 with iron heads correct ? Or you will be needing better fuel ?. Iam wondering if a solid roller cam is a better route because of some of the troubles other guys have been having with lifters making racket.

Your listed lift and ICL don't match up to the XE274HR Comp spec sheet so you must mean the XE274H, not HR.

DCR comes out to 7.5, not bad. (I personally would use a 1/2 step step smaller cam, like that in post #62; same DCR, a bit milder idle and a tad more gas mileage.) With 3.91 rear gears and the tire size, you'll have pretty decent wheel torque regardless... more than the tries will grip from a dead stop... and about 15% more than RF's 3.55 gear and 26" tire.

IMHO, a TC in the 2500 range is about right for that DCR, etc. We use a 2200 stall TC in an 8:1 DCR engine with 3.55 gears and it'll break tires loose at a bit over half throttle from a dead stop in a lighter early A body.
:thumbsup::steering:

I agree. My 3.55 w/26 inch tires is what I call the min. to run with the cam I run. XE274HR.
Not to quick off the line and a heck of a top end run.

8.5 on iron heads would generally be considered quite risky, too risky for pump gas; I've done 8.3 on pump premium on iron but with a good quench gap, and it was on the edge; ignition timing had to be watched when going from 1500' elevation down to sea level. When you get close to and then past 8:1 of 'effective' DCR (effective includes the effects of altitude for an N/A engine), you gotta start paying close attention to things. Of course, race fuels and additives can let you got past that. And AL heads are a blessing in this regard.

I think you are referring to the quality issues for hydraulic flat tappet lifters. I have always been a user of HFT's but with the way these things have gone downhill, you gotta be ready to go back in and weed out a few that go bad. So your point is well taken. Getting mechanical cams of any type (flat or roller lifters) in the smaller grinds for this range of TQ/HP has traditionally been a problem but I am not up to speed on all of them. Maybe someone here has some good ones to recommend.

-
Back