360 build on a budget. Opinions????

-
ditch those manifolds (or sell them) and start looking for used headers...I got a set of used heddmans for $150 bucks, and they were used 6 times to run the car...post an ad on here, you should be able to find a used set for under 200 bucks

Ya, good point. I just want to get the best set up that I can get. And it would be nice to get it with what I have. But I see that I should just try and sell the few things that I wont be using. And buy the cam and lifters and springs for $200.00. From Summit. Get a performer intake, and some headers. And just rebuild it basically stock. It will be more than I have but I'll eventually end up with what I'll need in the long run. I suppose I better start by spending what I have and start saving for some headers.

Since my .02 would just reiterate what has all ready been said, I will just say to build the motor to the entire car's specs (as Rumble mentioned). Take into account all of your other components (ex. trans/convertor, rearend/gears, tire size, etc.) and make sure they will work well together for its intended use. Granted, this gets more crucial as the car becomes more modified but still holds true for a low-buck build as well.

Well... I'm in the same boat you are in.
The way I see it, take your time. At least that's what I am doing. I don't have the money for everything myself, but piece by piece I'm getting it done. I might not even be ready till late summer, which REALLY sucks, but hopefully it will be done right. (at least I think)

I have a Voodoo 60402 Cam, and plan on a RPM air gap intake, and headers, and the performance valve job. I am hoping for 300+hp.

I'm not an expert by any means, but my only advice is just to take your time. It will fall together, not to mention the longer you wait the more the parts will fall into your lap at a better price.

Ya, that is really true. I'm taking my time though. I'm actually just getting all of the idea's together for when my tax return is here. I figured I should do some things to the car. Might as well be the motor. The motor is most important to me right now. I just have a hard time being content with a slant 6.

not sure about yor area but out this way I got a set of cheap headers from advance store for 125.00 last year,auto zone should also be able to get some cheap ones....just a thought....:read2:

not for an early a.

good point joe...i didnt even realize that when i said to buy them used...goodluck finding some used, if not i guess you'll have to go with new ones

Ya, that is really my problem. An early A. Thats why I have manifolds. I'll just have to save some money and parts until I have what I need. At least it has a good running /6 in it. And I can at least drive the car. I think that is the problem though. I have never owned a /6. And after having another Barracuda after about 8 years. I just have to have a V8. I really cant stand driving one of these cars after all this time and it has a /6. It is depressing.

GOOD IDLE, DAILY USAGE AND OFF ROAD, TOWING, PERFORMANCE AND FUEL EFFICIENCY, 2600-3000 CRUISE RPM, 8.75 TO 10.5 COMPRESSION RATIO ADVISED.

Grind Number: H-272-2 (Replaces HMV-272-2)
Operating Range: 2000-5000 RPM
Duration Advertised: 272° Intake / 284° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 216° Intake / 228° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers: .454'' Intake / .480'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 112°
Max Lift Angle: 107° ATDC Intake / 117° BTDC Exhaust
Open/Close @.050'' Cam Lift: Intake - 1° BTDC (opens) / 35° ABDC (closes)
Exhaust - 51° BBDC (opens) / (3°) BTDC (closes)

This is the cam you have,IMO its a great cam for what your wanting to do,just be patient and get the bottom end done-you can always run the 318 top end/manifolds temporarily as those are easy enough to upgrade later.For what your wanting you will not have a power problem doing that,but its up to you,if your really that desperate you can always find complete running 318s cheap on craigslist to throw in for now.

Early A headers?Spitfires!Mine should be here any day $260 shipped to Canada.Dude,you should squeaze these in your budget,you,ll be glad you did in the long run.Harold at Spitfires #479-650-9989.

-
Back