360 on the dyno

-
Yes it had a choke.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But its not a 450 Hp engine........

Who said a 600 Edelbrock is junk?

Lots of people here.......That's why its so funny.:lol:

That Edelbrock carb is less than half the price of that Holley. I had a engine nearly the same as yours but a little more comp (9.6) and less overlap (112 LSA) on the cam with 2 stuffed cylinders it still managed a 12.6 @ 107 with a 600 Eddie carb.

I guess I look at it differently.
I see it as...... even on a mild 350hp street engine that’s barely using 500cfm of air...... it still made 10ft/lb and 10hp more.
Yes!

That Edelbrock carb is less than half the price of that Holley. I had a engine nearly the same as yours but a little more comp (9.6) and less overlap (112 LSA) on the cam with 2 stuffed cylinders it still managed a 12.6 @ 107 with a 600 Eddie carb.
I realize that it's not a 450 hp engine but I fail to see your point. I used the holley because it's a known good working carb for break in. It definitely has its place on certain engines and is a great carb. I wouldn't run it on this engine on the street. If we're to use a holley on it, I'd use a 3310. It's not better, nor is it worse. It's just a comparison. Also, I got the carb for free from my uncle that passed away. So I didn't waste all that money on a carb that's apparently no better than an Edelbrock.

Last edited:
Of course..... both sides of the carb feed both sides of the engine.
It’s likely the sensors.
Agree or maybe the performer has much worse distribution than I thought. And you can stagger jet em.

I realize that it's not a 450 hp engine but I fail to see your point.

The fact that a smaller and less performance oriented carb with a choke I might add lost very little to the high performance and bigger carb.

The 2 extremes are very evident in carbs but not in the difference in the final result of what the actual performance was between them.

Agree or maybe the performer has much worse distribution than I thought. And you can stagger jet em.

Doesn't work that way as each plenum feeds 2 cylinders on each side. With a dual plane manifold a disturbance on one side of the carb would be evident on each O2 sensor as it feeds 2 cylinders on both banks.

The fact that a smaller and less performance oriented carb with a choke I might add lost very little to the high performance and bigger carb.

The 2 extremes are very evident in carbs but not in the difference in the final result of what the actual performance was between them.
Thank you for stating the obvious.

Glad you said it.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Every car that I've actually driven and had swapped from and edelbrock to a holley, had more torque I could feel. How much, who knows, but the delivery definitely changed. Probably the most dramatic was when I replaced a 750 Edelbrock with a thermoquad on a mild 440. The change was huge.

I replaced a 750 Edelbrock with a thermoquad on a mild 440. The change was huge.

And that's not solely due to an increase in cfm. There are other factors involved relating to design that differentiates the two in performance.

Must have checked the price difference then looked at the performance difference and realized it was a lost cause.....:eek:

Not at all. Rather than start a war with a fool I opted to say screw it. It appears the OP has you figured out already.

Must have checked the price difference then looked at the performance difference and realized it was a lost cause.....:eek:
No, My "indeed" meant that he just gave up the argument since there's no point.

I realize that it's not a 450 hp engine but I fail to see your point. I used the holley because it's a known good working carb for break in. It definitely has its place on certain engines and is a great carb. I wouldn't run it on this engine on the street. If we're to use a holley on it, I'd use a 3310. It's not better, nor is it worse. It's just a comparison. Also, I got the carb for free from my uncle that passed away. So I didn't waste all that money on a carb that's apparently no better than an Edelbrock.
The 3310 Holley is a far better carburetor than any Edelbrock or Carter.
There I said it.
I put all my Carters on the shelf 30 years ago after a buddy loaned me a Holley 750 DP.

The 3310 Holley is a far better carburetor than any Edelbrock or Carter.
There I said.
I put all my Carters on the shelf 30 years ago after a buddy loaned me a Holley 750 DP.

Id take that original or early 3310 over the 750 HP DP any day. You can say what ever you like about anything but when the data presented on this particular engine shows very little improvement then its hard to justify spending the money. What would be interesting is to know what the booster OD was and emulsion package used.

What happens when the data clearly contradicts our bias.........:lol:

Both carb designs can make power......When tuned correctly.

My opinion comes from the tuning ability when using a single plane intake with a high duration camshaft.
which really doesn't pertain to the OP.

Edelbrock, favorite all around running, easiest to work on, easiest to service carburetors.

Screenshot_20220423-214518_Gallery.jpg

20180305_193229.jpg

Resized_20200712_194110_8421.jpeg

They just run nice, plenty of other things to work on besides carburation. With the mini starters, they start like they have fuel injection.

☆☆☆☆☆

Less than half the price? Are you sure? A quick check on Summit shows 415.95 for the Ed 1406 and 642.95 for a Holley HP. 10 hp for $225 doesn't sound like bad deal to me.

My opinion comes from the tuning ability when using a single plane intake with a high duration camshaft.

That's where the Holley shines in most cases. That's not a justification for superior design over the Carter design but Carter only used a single idle circuit and with very low vacuum levels at idle the Holley is better at distributing because of the four corner idle. Get a Carter with four corner idle and it would better the Holley in this department.

-
Back