360 or 383?

-
ill take the 383, our pretty much stock 383 went 12.65 @ 3500lb, i havent seen a stock 360 do that
Mine has gone that fast. You just need the right combo of parts in the right chassis.

Mine has gone that fast. You just need the right combo of parts in the right chassis.

^^ there's the secret to having a fast drag car that hooks, a quick roundy round car--whatever your goal--right parts in the right chassis...regardless of the purpose.

Offer $350 for the 383 and stick it under the bench. Parts, machine work, and miscellaneous will add up to an easy $2500 done right. Your time or someone else's for labor.....there is your cost estimate for BB. Oh, I forgot to mention all the mods required to not only fit the BB under the hood, but make the car run right as a package. Unless your goal is smokey burnouts.

Small block in my opinion....but don't tell my buddy that, he is always muttering there is no replacement for displacement...or cubes..or some nonsense.

I'd go with the 360, easier to install and can use a 904 trans.

unless your already setup for a bigblock, it is a no brainer, 360.
my fastback has been setup for bigblock since the late 70's, so I'm partial to the 383.
I never have built a smallblock, someday though !

ill take the 383, our pretty much stock 383 went 12.65 @ 3500lb, i havent seen a stock 360 do that

Your 383 is built with a knod to performance. A 360, with the same build will run that all day long in a A body that's got a marginal chassis but is well sorted. Really scienced ones go a bit quicker.

I agree with the 360 for your build. But don't let the 383 get away. You might save it from being scrapped. You could be kind and let a fellow Moparian have it reasonably and save it, even if you don't intend to use it.

If anyone else wanted to add another reason, it would be that he already has the 360...something about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush...

This, and I like low deck B builds. He never stated, was there a final timeline. I always build, for future growth in the combination. (that being quoted, trying to do an old school low deck B based 426 combo)

I agree with the 360 for your build. But don't let the 383 get away. You might save it from being scrapped. You could be kind and let a fellow Moparian have it reasonably and save it, even if you don't intend to use it.

Indeed--there are still a few folks who want them...

This, and I like low deck B builds. He never stated, was there a final timeline. I always build, for future growth in the combination. (that being quoted, trying to do an old school low deck B based 426 combo)

Can't argue there--I still look for parts for my mine too...

No matter how you slice it, it is still 383 cubes that like to rev. We get it stock, the Chevy boys pay extra and still have small valve crap head on top.

No matter how you slice it, it is still 383 cubes that like to rev. We get it stock, the Chevy boys pay extra and still have small valve crap head on top.

Ya but we get it in a big block they get it out of a stroked small block..i'll put my money on the stroked small block no matter whos making against a mopar 383 any day..

A lot depends on what your doing & how you want to do it. The choice between a long stroke or short stroke. The MoPar draw back is weight, the Chevy draw back is crap heads. And on and on we could go. LMAO!

We all know how you like to get it done.

When are people gonna get it's not JUST the cubes but how they're setup, packaged, and executed?

906 heads flow 230/170 plus or minus 5 cfm. J heads flow 200/140 same spread. Stock unported. Potential for the big block heads is no comparison. Stock big blocks require no special parts to go fast. I've had both and still have 2 383's, no 360's. I like high winders, 383's are. On the flip side, it sounds like you are done with a nice 360. No installation hassles or new parts. I'm sure it will be fast when you get it sorted out. That sounds good to me.

Ya but we get it in a big block they get it out of a stroked small block..i'll put my money on the stroked small block no matter whos making against a mopar 383 any day..

ya think, You really never have worked a 383 mopar.
I would share some of our builds, but why bother.
I will finish my current build and post current times.
not my times from 35 years ago, been there , done that.lol

ya think, You really never have worked a 383 mopar.
I would share some of our builds, but why bother.
I will finish my current build and post current times.
not my times from 35 years ago, been there , done that.lol

Nope never owned a 383..but have blown the doors off of many with a small block:D:D

-
Back