360 vs. 340 vs. 318

-

jimmyjeep

Reaction score
I am shopping for a powerplant for my 66S. I built a really healthy 440 last year, but I hear they are a total bear to install. I have a 360 that came with the car( its in there now). In your humble( :thumbup: ) opinions, which motor is gonna give me the best all round performance, 60% road, 40 % strip. Is the 340 more buiildup worthy, or is it a case of no replacement for displacement.
truckstuff013.jpg
[/IMG]

I gotta be honest and tell you I like the longer stroke engines for the "Torque now!" factor. Other benifits of the 360 over a shorter stroke engine are quicker (RPM wise) peak hp and torque numbers for less stress and a no need to RPM the engine to the moon for peak power.
IF! you have a 340 right now, I'd stroke it.

IF you have no engine, the 360 is cheaper to start with because there like everywhere. Not so with a 340 block.

Does a 340 stroker kit do anything bad to your engine? Does it become less reliable, or shorten its life, or make anything wear faster? Does it cause other things to break faster or anything like that?

I have a good 340 core and I'm addicted to power. I've been slowly gathering parts and figuring out what I want to do. Maybe a stroker is it? I want a reliable car though.

Th estroker may wear a little faster due to the extra side load from the longer stroke but I dont really think its anything to worry about on a car you wont drive everyday.

What Adam said.
Any breakage will be due to over stressed parts by obtaining very high level of HP. So, if your looking at an excess of 500 HP and you romp on it daily, you can expect breakage, like any other engine.

If your civil about or to the engine, you'll be fine.

In your situation the 360 is already in the car - stick with it. As you said, there's no replacement for displacement, except when it comes to shoehorning a 440 in there.

personally i would stick the 440 in it and forget about it.

but if your dead set on a small block then go with the 360..

Abody, its a pleasure to hear from you. Thanks for your input. Ah, you guys roll over too easy, :lol: I never said I wanted to keep a small block, I was just getting your opinions. :thumbup: I really want to put that 440+.020, (in the picture) in there. I built it, its a thumper! I really don't want to cut the car all to pieces to do it, but I'll never be able to TOTALLY restore it either. So I love the car, love the motor, might as well marry them. I just need to do my homework first, if it looks like too much cutting or too expensive, then thanks for the vote on the 360, it could stay. Abodyjoe, where do I get the best info for the bb swap? Seriously, thanks gang.

jimmyjeep said:
Abody, its a pleasure to hear from you. Thanks for your input. Ah, you guys roll over too easy, :lol: I never said I wanted to keep a small block, I was just getting your opinions. :thumbup: I really want to put that 440+.020, (in the picture) in there. I built it, its a thumper! I really don't want to cut the car all to pieces to do it, but I'll never be able to TOTALLY restore it either. So I love the car, love the motor, might as well marry them. I just need to do my homework first, if it looks like too much cutting or too expensive, then thanks for the vote on the 360, it could stay. Abodyjoe, where do I get the best info for the bb swap? Seriously, thanks gang.

www.bigblockdart.com has tons of info...

the big block is a bolt in .. the only headache is gonna be the headders.. i had to have a set custom made.. yea it will cost $$$ but the only thing better then a big block a-body is an early big block a-body... a 440 in one of those cars is just incredible..... http://www.abodyjoe.com/64valiant/64valiant.htm

Well if headers are the thorn on the rose here, just what is the cost involved, and if you go fenderwall, does that help? Whats the best way to cure the header blues if your not worried about doing a little fenderwall cutting?

I'm thinkin' that 360 turned to a 406 or 408 would offset the BB weight penalty and installation hassle.

I'd consider a BB for my '65 Barracuda S if I didn't have to cut anything for exhaust, but I think you have to or else you're just restricting the BB too much and might as well have a SB. Right?

Well I think I remember the 440 at 670lbs including normal tack ons, a 6 cyl, is around 570, so by the time you add aluminum like intake and headers over the stock exhaust, water pump, etc, that 440 shouldnt be a weight question at all, but I'm sure someone can get the exact weights in here. :thumbup:

jimmyjeep said:
Well if headers are the thorn on the rose here, just what is the cost involved, and if you go fenderwall, does that help? Whats the best way to cure the header blues if your not worried about doing a little fenderwall cutting?

when i had min made they cost me $700.. i was told i could have had it done cheaper elswhere but at the time the plae that did them was the only place i knew... now with all the message boards i'm sure someone would know someone that would make them for you....

the hole in my fenderwells were actually pretty small on my valiant.. not butchered at all.. and that was 2" pipes..

64valiant018.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant018.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

If U have a 360 in it, go with it.....It is a very streetable engine, with suprising power.....

I had a 360 in my 66 dart wagon, but swapped it out for a more drivable 318...I have air/PdiscB/auto wit converter?an PS...Tha lil mota will make 290+ HP and very streetable...600 holley also git's fairly good gas milage over the 750holley on the 360

-
Back