371 build W/Big Mouth heads

-
I wonder the difference in power between a 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step header w/2 1/2" pipes vs 1 5/8 header to 3" pipes same mufflers at this level of power 525-575 hp.

Last edited:
Have a many inches are those truck headers?

Seriously impressed with the octane tolerance of this particular engine. Had it back on the dyno yesterday and only had 87 octane. Dialed timing back a bit and did two pulls---525 hp 470 tq. What really got my attention is how it started, idled, and shut off after two back to back hard full temp runs. Next test is a splash of Avgas, then it comes apart. J.Rob

That's in Canadian HP/TQ numbers.... what's the conversion rate? :)

Nice runner.

That's what the flowbench said. J.Rob
Rob, you seem to get consistent results out of your 360 combinations. Have you done anything to the factory oiling to make the bottom end survive? I've had a 340 and 360 show signs of inadequate oil on the #7 rod bearing.

The only question is why the OP bored the block 0.060" over? Was it due to bad cylinder bore wear? Myself I like to have blocks only bored enough to clean up the bore. But, I did find it interesting in reading what he's doing with it

The only question is why the OP bored the block 0.060" over? Was it due to bad cylinder bore wear? Myself I like to have blocks only bored enough to clean up the bore. But, I did find it interesting in reading what he's doing with it
Possibly to unshroud the intake valve.

You do what needs to be done.

With a 2.08 valve a .030 over bore on a 360 is fine. Heck my flowbench bore adapter is 4.010.
Thank you. That is my current build in progress. Any recommendations on oiling. I'm building a 12+:1 bracket motor for a 2700# car and need to have 6200-6500 trap rpm. I'm speculating that it will need about 7k shift points. At this time, I'm seeing some bearing "color" on my last two builds that concerns me.

Thank you. That is my current build in progress. Any recommendations on oiling. I'm building a 12+:1 bracket motor for a 2700# car and need to have 6200-6500 trap rpm. I'm speculating that it will need about 7k shift points. At this time, I'm seeing some bearing "color" on my last two builds that concerns me.
Have you followed the MP oiling mods?

Have you followed the MP oiling mods?
I have read all of them. Currently I run a HV pump with the MP spring. This go round I'm looking at Sanborn's theory on block preparation. I run solid flat tappets and 273 rockers. I speculate that the rocker shafts weep far more than they should at this stage of their life cycle. If you've restricted the cam oiling and pressurized the #1 main oiling like the R block does I'm all ears. Yellow Rose seems to have the tried and succeeded on gaining La block life expectancy. Though there is endless aftermarket valvetrains, I tend to build my motors for around 5 k and want to say in my budget.

Thanks!

Sorry but I won’t even get into my oiling mods. From tubing my blocks to massaging the lifter valley I spend many many hours on that.

Sorry but I won’t even get into my oiling mods. From tubing my blocks to massaging the lifter valley I spend many many hours on that.
At what point do you think those mods are needed? Above a certain rpm?

I have read all of them. Currently I run a HV pump with the MP spring. This go round I'm looking at Sanborn's theory on block preparation. I run solid flat tappets and 273 rockers. I speculate that the rocker shafts weep far more than they should at this stage of their life cycle.
Agreed
If you've restricted the cam oiling and pressurized the #1 main oiling like the R block does I'm all ears.
Sorry I have not.
Yellow Rose seems to have the tried and succeeded on gaining La block life expectancy. Though there is endless aftermarket valvetrains, I tend to build my motors for around 5 k and want to say in my budget.

Thanks!

@Yellowrose, @Newbomb Turk

If anyone would t mind detailing oiling mods for rpm’s above 6500 to ……..

Many here would appreciate it.

-
Back