383 stroker thoughts

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Yo, this is Cawley, when the time comes to get my motor built for my barracuda, I was thinking of getting a 383 stroker built. Not the 496 ci. but something alittle smaller. Any one have thoughts on them or have had one built ? I will not put headers on it, I have the original manifolds. I want to keep it as stock looking as possible.

Yo, this is Cawley, when the time comes to get my motor built for my barracuda, I was thinking of getting a 383 stroker built. Not the 496 ci. but something alittle smaller. Any one have thoughts on them or have had one built ? I will not put headers on it, I have the original manifolds. I want to keep it as stock looking as possible.

Just my opinion, but why would you want to stroke a big block and not put headers on it? Why not just keep the 383 "stock" as is then?

Just my opinion, but why would you want to stroke a big block and not put headers on it? Why not just keep the 383 "stock" as is then?

Then why put headers on a 440?

Dave Diddick campains a nasty Hemi in FAST class.
700 + hp and is now running hi 9's through exhaust manifolds on F7015 belted tires.
i always thought a 3.75 stroke 383 to 426 or whatever would be a nice package.
..i love stock looking muscle cars but it's not for everybody

Dave Diddick campains a nasty Hemi in FAST class.
700 + hp and is now running hi 9's through exhaust manifolds on F7015 belted tires.
..i love the stock look,but it's not for everybody.

Heck if they can flow, run em. Probably make it easier in the tiny engine bay.

Stroker cranks are available for 432-438 cu in, depending on bore. Thats a nice size b block. While you're at it, Rusty had a post or sticky on the 383 long vs. short rod 383. Good readin'.

No headers; leave it stock
Why?

I don't think an Abody 383 exhaust manifold flows very well.
Correct.

They only flow that well because they have been extrude honed a couple of times.
In-correct-ish mostly because extrone hone will add a tiny bit not a lot of flow.

Think the racing class, "F.A.S.T."

Look stock run like stink!

More stroke is more torque. Headers or not.

I don't understand why everyone has such a negative manor towards his wants for his car built his way and not your way of the normal me to manor. Rather than add your negitive two cents, put a cork in it or help him.

Making power with exhaust manifolds maybe the limiting factor. Then I think of the FAST class. Careful cam timing is the first and most major item to pay attention to.
Didn't Andy F. Do some manifold testing on a dyno with exhaust manifolds?
I am sure I have seen a 500+ mill do this.
While I'm sure you guys will fire back "But think how much more power if....."

Yea yea yea, that's the spirt! pound a fella for thinking differently until you kill all ambition and desire. It worked well in Russia

I was thinking of getting a 383 stroker built. Not the 496 ci. but something a little smaller.
I built a 383/432 stroker for my ebody. Has way more torque than the 360 with headers that I took out. Makes that heavy car with 3.23 axle gears much more fun to drive. My 432 has mild ported 906 iron heads, iron exh manifolds, Edy DP4B intake manifold and cam one step up from stock "roadrunner". I say go for it.
Mine may not be the ground shaker that some want, but there is plenty there...tires spinning and 90 mph in no time flat.

Exactly. Engines larger than 383s came with manifolds all day long. No reason he cannot run manifolds.

Why?

Correct.

In-correct-ish mostly because extrone hone will add a tiny bit not a lot of flow.

Think the racing class, "F.A.S.T."

Look stock run like stink!

More stroke is more torque. Headers or not.

I don't understand why everyone has such a negative manor towards his wants for his car built his way and not your way of the normal me to manor. Rather than add your negitive two cents, put a cork in it or help him.

Making power with exhaust manifolds maybe the limiting factor. Then I think of the FAST class. Careful cam timing is the first and most major item to pay attention to.
Didn't Andy F. Do some manifold testing on a dyno with exhaust manifolds?
I am sure I have seen a 500+ mill do this.
While I'm sure you guys will fire back "But think how much more power if....."

Yea yea yea, that's the spirt! pound a fella for thinking differently until you kill all ambition and desire. It worked well in Russia

Here is what im thinking- I my self am going to gasket match & do a lot of porting to the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold & the cast iron heads. All I will have in it is my time. I am thinking of putting in the 509 cam w/ no more than 10.5 compression. The car has 3.55 gears. Might put in 3.91s Its a 69 barracuda formula s 383 4spd. Just looking for around 450 hp. If the combo does not work, then ill try again. The F.A.S.T class impresses the hell out of me. I am not gonna race it a lot. Just want a strong running street car and to show the local chevy guys what the tail lights of a barracuda look like.

Then the one problem with your plan is the cam.
I would stick to 10-1 or less compression.
Talk to a FAST Class racer if you can for tips & who cut his cam.
If your going to run those exhaust manifolds, you need a cam with that in mind. Not the .509! Which is designed for a much better flowing intake and exhaust system.

The 496 I did last year won stock appearing in Carlisle, and put 430+ down to the tires with factory manifolds and air cleaner. I think you'll be pushing to get 450 out of something smaller. Air in and out makes power, and eventually you simply can't move enough. You will want to carefully look at your entire exhaust if you do so. The owner's found a lot more power just in the mufflers, resonators, and tips. I would rather have a chokes 496 than go smaller and try to turn it up.

The 496 I did last year won stock appearing in Carlisle, and put 430+ down to the tires with factory manifolds and air cleaner. I think you'll be pushing to get 450 out of something smaller. Air in and out makes power, and eventually you simply can't move enough. You will want to carefully look at your entire exhaust if you do so. The owner's found a lot more power just in the mufflers, resonators, and tips. I would rather have a chokes 496 than go smaller and try to turn it up.

mmm the 496 is something to think about What compression & cam was in it ? I want to use a stock appearing alum. intake. 2 1/2 exhaust pipes not sure about mufflers I don't like the sound of flow masters at higher rpms

Find a dp4b manifold. They work well and even have the pentastar. It was sold over the counter back in the day. Maybe it's even F.A.S.T. legal.

No it's not a leagal intake. But it'll look the part for most eyes.

Not legal? Learn something new every day. Dealer installed is no go with F.A.S.T? Great intake nonetheless with plenty of air cleaner room.

Going for a concourse level build, maybe, where you want the engine to look exact, yet have more under the hood.

I kicked the idea of going stroker with the 383 in my Sport Satellite concourse build.

I used Eddy RPM on by numbers 383 build , and painted it turquoise. I'm also gonna use the stock ex manifolds for the same reason. I did use a cam with a split profile and lots of lift and dur. on the ex side to help get ex out.

I am not going for the concourse build but I do want it STOCK LOOKING w/ more hp & torque I really wanted to mini tub it, put on a hemi scoop, some other mods. but its an original 383 4spd car & I cant bring my self to do it. I think the only mod im gonna do is put in a hidden MSD box & aftermarket wheels

mmm the 496 is something to think about What compression & cam was in it ? I want to use a stock appearing alum. intake. 2 1/2 exhaust pipes not sure about mufflers I don't like the sound of flow masters at higher rpms

I'll have to check my notes when I'm home. I think it was right around 10.2:1 but it was a whiel ago. Cam is a custom flat tappet from Comp spec'd by Dwayne Porter. It's not that large but again, specs are at home. It's under 250° .050, and less than .510 lift at the valve. The intake is an RPM with the name & numbers removed and camoflaged. You don't need flowmasters - but you do need non-stock tips and free flowing resonator and mufflers, and 2 1/2 all the way back.

-
Back