383 stroker

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Yesterday I found a 383 at the local junkyard. I was going to pick it up next weekend for $125. I was looking to rip it apart and over time build a big block stroker. It would be replacing the 318 in my barracuda. What do you guys think, how many of you have done this?

Evan

I have never built a 383 stroker.But I have built up a few 383's over the years.It amazing how a few modifications can really wake one of these motors up.I have one now that is stock and another that I built up alittle that is 425 HP.I just love the 383 engine.

I retrofitted a 383 into my '68 Dart (originally had a 273 V8 ).

Sometime in the semi-near future I plan on adding a stroker kit and aftermarket heads.

--

I have not done it yet....but, Hugesengines 440source etc.. have the kits to stroke the 383 up real well. More cubes the merry. Just give it a good head/exhaust to match the new dispalcement/performance.

I think the B wedge is the best starting point for an A body... You can use taller intakes, there's more clearance, and the weight's not much more than a small V8. So go for it.

Good for you !
Strokers are nice, I have built plenty of 438's outa them, pretty easy 500+ HP, even with just the Stealth Heads,
or,
Rebuilt it just pretty much stock with decent Pistons, Rod Bolts, some Head Work, Intake and a Hydraulic Cam, I've seen 425-435HP/Trq on the Dyno, no slouch !

A good performance rebuild without stroking will produce great power with well matched parts. It's the big block that will out rev most small blocks. Add a 440 crank and you have a 426.

I love them, a lot of people don't know that the 383 has the same bore size as the 426 Hemi.
That says a lot.
I had a '69 Super Bee back in the mid '80's with a 383 magnum, 4 speed and i loved that combo.
No wonder why mopar sold a lot of them.
There's something about a quick revving big block that gives me a woodie!

I There's something about a quick revving big block that gives me a woodie!

I hear ya..!

The quick-revving acceleration on my 383 with the 3.91 gears is a kick in the pants...:toothy10:

--

I picked it up today, cant wait to rip it apart. I think the 440 crank is the way to go but I have some questions. From what I have read their is two different kind of 383's, B's and RB's. With different strokes and bores. The B's have the same bore and a 426 but the Rb's all share the same stroke to putting a 440 crank in a 383 makes a 383, right? bare with me I know nothing about big blocks. I will check tomorrow if its a B or RB.

I picked it up today, cant wait to rip it apart. I think the 440 crank is the way to go but I have some questions. From what I have read their is two different kind of 383's, B's and RB's. With different strokes and bores. The B's have the same bore and a 426 but the Rb's all share the same stroke to putting a 440 crank in a 383 makes a 383, right? bare with me I know nothing about big blocks. I will check tomorrow if its a B or RB.

There was an RB 361/383 waaay back in the 50's, NOT common at all, if fact if you found one, I would be very surprised ?

YOUR 383 will be a "B" Block, or LOWDECK Big Block.

Putting an RB or "raised" B Block 440 Crankshaft with the common 3.75"Stroke,
in a 383 Block,
makes the 383 into a 426/431 or 438 Cubic inch depending upon the Cylinder overbore applied when rebuilding(std/.030 or .060).

Hope this helps

There was an RB 361/383 waaay back in the 50's, NOT common at all, if fact if you found one, I would be very surprised ?

YOUR 383 will be a "B" Block, or LOWDECK Big Block.

Putting an RB or "raised" B Block 440 Crankshaft with the common 3.75"Stroke,
in a 383 Block,
makes the 383 into a 426/431 or 438 Cubic inch depending upon the Cylinder overbore applied when rebuilding(std/.030 or .060).

Hope this helps

It has B 361 stamped in it on the surface below the distributor. The year of the block is 54 also stamped in the same location.

It has B 361 stamped in it on the surface below the distributor. The year of the block is 54 also stamped in the same location.

That's a 1966 B 361 big block (no relation to the 340/360) and the 54 is not the year, in this case I'm not sure what it is. Personally I'd walk away from a 361 since pistons are a ***** to find. They stopped making that engine in 66/67 and replaced completely by the 383. It uses the same crank as the 383 and has the same stroke but the 383 is larger bore. If it really is a 361 the casting number on the side of the block should be 2205712

I bought the 440Source 383 - 496 stroker kit and am installing it now with Edelbrock Victor heads. I'll let you know how it works out. Good luck with your project!

I had a built 383 in my 68 Charger and that thing was wicked. I could imagine a 383 stroked... wow!

I love my 383 -496
I'm just changing my pistons over to the flat tops for more compression
I could only get a 11.4@118 out of the 9.8 compression, with stock stealth heads.
Good luck with your build.

Yeah, you'v bought a 361 B wedge. rough one to play with but something with stock pistons might be made to work with some research into piston heights, your actual measured deck height, and a 440 crank. If it was me though, I'd go get your money back, or sell it, then get a real 383 or 400 to start wtih. In the end it will be cheaper.

-
Back