4 link question

-
RJ suggested some cheap insurance so here it is I used a couple pieces of 2"x3" tube stock
Andrew

rear axle 8.jpg

rear axle 9.jpg

I'm building my own setup. and it will be a race only car with a few differences the the RMS kit and will have a Antiroll Bar. this setup should be good for some mid 8sec quarter mile times. The mustang guys have gone high 7's with the same design.
100_1610.jpg

KP,
here is the info youi wanted. RJ said it was about $350 for the setup
http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm Link to the rear sway bar company.
RJ< how wide are those tires and how tall are the rims?
I have been doing all this work to get some 305s in there but I cant find a tire rim combo that will work.
Also I asked about the shock mounts, I still cannot get out the original ones without damaging them. Did you just start from scratch? If so I cant find an 11/16" bolt any where what did you use?

MOPWR,
cool looking set up. one of the things I am fighting very herd to keep is ground clearance. your mounts would be to low for me, but great job fabricating them
Andrew

KP,

I have been doing all this work to get some 305s in there but I cant find a tire rim combo that will work.
Also I asked about the shock mounts, I still cannot get out the original ones without damaging them. Did you just start from scratch? If so I cant find an 11/16" bolt any where what did you use?

Andrew

My rears are 345/30/19. Mini tub'd to the frame rail and the tub is raised up a couple inches (for my desired ride height). The factory shock mounts were just cut off and started over. I dont remember the size of the bolt off hand right now.....:toothy10:

What size rim you gonna go with?

I had thought about 18s but it may need to be 19s I wanted at least 305 if not 315 tires and about 27" tall.
while you know I minitubbed I did not raise the wheel well. so I will have to stay with a 13" MAX WIDTH.

Andrew

Not many options for that tall and that wide unfortunately. Nitto Invo comes in 294/45/18 but it's 28.5" tall (probably too tall for your ride height). You can do a 335/30/18 like the Demon pic'd, it's right at 26" tall. It's mini tubbed to the frame but not raised. It's on air so he pumps it up to drive

I wanted to run an 18" also, but they didnt have a tire tall enough to fill up the wheelwell enough for me, so I had to go 19".

I just saw that Nitto has a new NT555R II out in a 305/35/18......which may be what you are looking for.

IMG_4948.jpg

RJ
what size rims would i need for the 335/30/18s The bf goodrich chart says 11.5-12.5 and I cant find rims that wide without spending $800 a pop? Could you find out what he is using they actually fit the look of the car being black.
Andrew

a 12" wide rim for a 335. That Demon has CCW wheels, they are a three piece lightweight race type wheel, but strong enough for daily use.

18x12" gets expensive......they have to cut two hoops in half to build one. So two wheels actually means four hoops. Advantage to a three piece is that Backspace changes and repairs are relatively cheap. You can get whatever lip size you want for the look.....however the wheels are expensive. Mine were right at $2900 for the wheels and that's our dealer price. If you ran a 305 with an 10" wheel it would save you several $$hundy per wheel.

To save the bucks, I would get an 18x10 in whatever BackSpace they come in, then have the housing narrowed to fit the car.

I am gonna do a track set of rims eventually w/ 275's up front and 305's on the back.

[FONT=&quot]About the swaybars.. Yes it is ok to use them with a 4-link. If designed correctly the 4-link should allow the axle to “roll” independently from the body (without binding). Therefore the swaybar comes in as an option to change the front/rear roll stiffness (affecting the over steer/under steer characteristics). Another option is adjusting the rear roll center ( a function of the setup) and thereby saving the cost, weight and trouble/complexity of adding a rear swaybar. As for the street links system.. You’d have to talk to its designer about how to do that.

[/FONT]

OK so I will relocate the leafs temporarily in board to the frame rails. Then I will put in a 4link system made by RMS called a street linx. It is also set up for the inboard location. The next question is : is it ok to use a sway bar with a 4link, is it necessary, or harmful.
Next has anybody used this system?
Andrew

Not many options for that tall and that wide unfortunately. Nitto Invo comes in 294/45/18 but it's 28.5" tall (probably too tall for your ride height). You can do a 335/30/18 like the Demon pic'd, it's right at 26" tall. It's mini tubbed to the frame but not raised. It's on air so he pumps it up to drive

I wanted to run an 18" also, but they didnt have a tire tall enough to fill up the wheelwell enough for me, so I had to go 19".

I just saw that Nitto has a new NT555R II out in a 305/35/18......which may be what you are looking for.

Where can we find more information about this car?

Riddler

KP,
here is the info youi wanted. RJ said it was about $350 for the setup
http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm Link to the rear sway bar company.

MOPWR,
cool looking set up. one of the things I am fighting very herd to keep is ground clearance. your mounts would be to low for me, but great job fabricating them
Andrew
the brackets you see are actually withing the wheel circumfrance. if the tire went flat the rim would hit the ground not the bracket.

That's pretty cool! How are you doing the front mounting points? And the other two links? where/how do they connect(body and housing)?

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0903phr_1971_dodge_demon/index.html

And

http://www.gforcedesignconcepts.com/gallery/DEMON

the lower links mount in the spring relocation brackets that move springs inboard. the uppers I haven't started on yet. I just got me a driveshaft in the car so I can line things up then I will mount the uppers. I will add pics when done. and some more of the lower.

After doing some research I had to re design the lower points so they wouldn't bind. I also had to re set the pinion angle. The factory angle was +6 deg, I reset to -2deg, making sure the shock posts are level.
A before and after look at the lower mounts.
Andrew

4 link 5.jpg

4 link 6.jpg

4 link 7.jpg

4 link 8.jpg

I also put some adjustment in the 4link system by drilling another set of lower holes and reinforcing them with grade8 washers welded to the frame.
Andrew

11-14-09_1315.jpg

This is what I whant to do to my 72 demon .keep the pic comming .are you using race car heim joints ???? and if so what kind size wise 3/4 or 5/8 ???I'm new to this group but i love oid mopar ...

I'm using the RMS street linx rear kit on my narrowed dana 60. I welded everything instead of bolting in on the axle...

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Looking good blue missle. I'm going to a parallel 4-link system this winter on my dart using a fabricated cross member. I like the parallel systems because there is a ton of adjustment. No comments please about the 9".

4link.jpg

4link1.jpg

Badart, look, use what works for you. I seriously thought about a 9" so I could use an ECTED. But since God is supplying the parts and funds I am just using what is presented. Funny though He seems to know what is in the two three inch build books I have put together.
MyDemon,
I will be using 3/4"16 heim joints with 5/8" bolts at the axle, and 3/4"16 bushings with 9/16" bolts at the frame. After talking to a bunch of folks the bushings were recommended for a slightly less harsh street ride.Since this is not a drag vehicle the slightly lighter set up should be fine.

Mopar Dude,
I have a favor to ask of you. Could you give me the following dimensions when you get a chance:
What is the diameter of the tube supporting the upper mounts?
How far in front of the forward axle stop mounting hole, is the cross member located?
How far in from the frame are the upper mounting points?
Thanks
Andrew

blue missle your build is looking great,,,

as far as a rear sway bar,,in a 4 link applacation its refered to as a anti roll or equalizer bar,,altho still helps greatly on the street with body roll as a sway bar was invented to do, it also help the car lift evenly side to side on a hard launch

-
Back