400 low buck dont give a

-
need a little bite of help here. what is the size of the main from the factory???? my main are 20 under... i need this measurement to come up with the compression of my motor....

i have the measurement from the pin top the top of the piston and from the deck to the top of the main.... if anybody can help me with this it would be great...:supz::supz::supz::supz:

from top of deck top top of main is 8.5"
from the top of the piston to the top of the pin is 1.26"
form the top of the pin to the bottom of the pin is 1.10 then i have to / that by 2 which is .55+1.26 comes to 1.81 compression height on the piston..(right)[-o<[-o< so if i can get the main size thats 20 under someone can tell me what i should have or do i need more info...thanks mike :prayer::prayer::prayer:

ok i found some more info.. deck height is 9.98 from factory according to the mopar book..

so the main journal is 2.625/2 is 1.3129+8.5 is 9.8125 then you got another 20th under on the main bearing..

9.8105 with 20 under
1.81 compression height piston

what els i need to fig. the compression out??????:violent1::violent1: anybody care to help me here ??? thanks mike

The .020 under on the bearings is actually a wash......The thicker bearings take up the slack on both sides effectively putting the rod right back in the stock spot. I ran a calc with a .039 head gasket with a 84cc chamber and got 8.85 to 1. I think with the thinner gasket you are using that 9.0 to 1 is about where you'll come out.

thanks thats about what i need to know as the heads will be less then 84 also...so i will be ok on the compression on this little motor then...:D:D:D now just waiting on the parts to show up....

Nnnnoooo...not a old "509"!!!....old school lazy ramps, too much overlap, and non-split duration. Still too much for a stock low compression engine. Until you bring the comp. to a real-world 9.5 or so, all these goodies aren't gonna do anything.

split pattern cams are aimed more towards poor exh flow ratios and or exhaust manifolds, his heads are ported and if done right...the ratio need not necessitate a split pattern cam. fwiw

well the main bearing showed up today.. hope the rest of the stuff come on monday... ready to get this thing together and driven...gonna do the oil mods to the block as well...:D:Dalso need to drop my center section off and have the gears set up so i will be ready for the road....:axe:

got the intake today, waiting on the cam, and rod,and rings then i will get bob to help me with the oil mods, and the build will be on.. looking at picking up a 3000 verta for this thing..what the thoughts on that guys????? :D

Hydraulic flat tappetBasic Operating RPM Range
3,000-6,500Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift
232Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift
242Duration at 050 inch Lift
232 int./242 exh.Advertised Intake Duration
302Advertised Exhaust Duration
312Advertised Duration
302 int./312 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.504 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.528 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio
0.504 int./0.528 exh.Lobe Separation (degrees)
112Camshaft Gear Attachment
3-boltComputer-Controlled Compatible
NoGrind Number
H-302-2Valve Springs Required
YesQuantity
Sold individually.cam specs:D

3-bolt camshaft.

specs that they call for on the springs

umber of Springs Per Valve
DualOutside Diameter of Outer Spring (in)
1.460 in.Coil Bind Height (in)
1.080 in.Damper Spring Included
NoSpring Rate (lbs/in)
391 lbs./in.Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in)
1.075 in.Inside Diameter of Inner Spring (in)
0.803 in.Valve Spring Style
StandardCoated
NoQuantity
Sold as a set of 16. :D

1.560 in.Coil Bind Height (in)
0.900 in.Damper Spring Included
NoSpring Rate (lbs/in)
392 lbs./in.Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in)
1.166 in.Inside Diameter of Inner Spring (in)
0.896 in.Valve Spring Style
StandardCoated
Nosprings i found will this spring be okay with the cam? they seem to be really close..:prayer::prayer:

Sold as a set of 16.

damn it ...lol hey bob hows it going???? :D you going racing tonight???

no go for racing. i have to find oil and adjust the valves. plus i need to get the shift light working. that thing i have that's suppose to trigger the light just never worked. i'm trying to get an autometer pro-control which is what everyone is using with a magneto. plus my job requires me getting my butt out of bed at 0600hrs, be at work at 0700hrs and off at 1700hrs, it's killing me. it's a good thing the job will only last until december 15. LOL

lol gotta think positive bob look at all the money and stuff you can get for the hot rod now...lol:D well now i have to find some springs for this thing..summit should have all my bearings and rings here by friday i hope...got the intake and tray here and the main bearing...going today and see about the freeze plugs.....let me know when its a good time to bring the block up so you can show me how to do the oil mods...also will bring the springs off the other heads to test...dont know how long i will be able to stay at home work is slowing down so i may just hit the road and go down east to work until around jan. but come home on the weekends..:wack: would love to fire the old duster up and drive it around before the end of the year...

on a side note i got the chassis car back in the shop up in the air on blocks about 3' so i can paint the bottom of the chassis,got my fuel system the other day (nice looking stuff) going to paint the dash this week,and finish the last few bars that i have to do before i complete the paint...gonna weld me a tow hook on the front round tube..oh i got my info on the headers i need to build
single primary style header
pri dia... 2.050" to 2.175" ...length 33.5" to 36.6"
collector dia... 3.725" to 3.975" .. length 17.9"
-----------------------------
2 step style
1st pri dia... 2.050" ... length .. 16.7" to 18.3"
2nd pri dia... 2.175" ... length .. 16.7" to 18.3"
same collector
--------------------------------
3 step style
1st pri dia... 2.050" ... length ..16.7" to 18.3"
2nd pri dia... 2.175" ... length ..8.4" to 9.1"
3rd pri dia... 2.300" ... length .. 8.4" to 9.1"
same collector but stay to the large size
all specs are OD with a wall thickness of .062
so this is what the program calls for on my headers...:D:D

may call you later on today , take it easy buddy mike

NoSpring Rate (lbs/in)
StandardCoated
NoQuantity

hey bob i was thinking about this again.. this is the spring that crane recc. for the cam... for the big block mopar... anyway i will keep checking on some diff. springs and may buy some new valves for the heads as well..:-x

i think the spring height is 1.81" on a bigblock and if you subtract your lift of the exhaust neither spring will work because of the coil bind number.[/QUOTE

Well if he installs the spring at 1.81 and it coil binds at 1.080" it looks like he will have .730" lift before the spring binds. Should be able to go to .680 lift safely as far as coil bind.

This recommended spring, 99893, is listed as 130# at 1.850" installed height and 318# at 1.350".

NoSpring Rate (lbs/in)
StandardCoated
NoQuantity

IQ52 this is the spring that is rec. for the cam.. the other spring is a spring i can get right now... do you think it will work????its very close to the rec. spring..:D

What is the part number for the substitute spring? Have the heads been machined around the guides and spring pockets for the dual springs? The stock retainers and locks are not going to work with dual springs, do you have the proper retainers and locks for the dual springs?

comp cam 916-16 part #.. i will be getting the lock,and ret, and may buy new valves for the heads...906 been ported :D:D

I don't think I would use the 916-16 springs. They are designed for 1.70" installed height. They may have enough free length to be used in the big block application, maybe not. I think I would substitute the Howards 98445 for $109.95 at Competition Products. Outer O.D. 1.46, Outer I.D. 1.080, Inner I.D. 1.085, Inner I.D. .840, 120# @ 1.875", 425# @ .765 lift, 399 rate, max lift .735, coil bind 1.080.

well got home and the rings and rod bearing are on the door step :D:D:D:D. now i have to go find some cam bearing local and freeze plug kit i forgot to order them when i ordered the rings and rod bearing...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: but seem to be going well ...gotta get my duster in the shop and start to clean things up under the hood a little.. been sitting for a few yrs now..:D still waiting on the cam to show up and will order springs for the heads maybe today and lifters...damn the list keep getting longer ..lol will add some pics after today as i plan to be in the shop for a while tonight[-o<[-o<[-o<[-o<

cam bearing and freeze plugs are on the way as well just ordered them from a local parts house...:D

-
Back