421 Stroker with Trick Flow Heads/Intake Dyno - Redux

-

Just Send It

There goes the neighborhood!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I started a thread here about my 421 Trick Flow stroker project. After speaking with the mods, it sounds like there was a server issue and that thread got wiped out. Shame, because there was some good content in there and people seemed genuinely interested.

So let's try this again...

The goal of this project is to see how far we can take a set of OTB Trick Flow Heads with their matching Intake on a larger cubed stroker motor with a roller cam. Data is king, so I'll be sharing this information with the community so we can all learn together. I honestly don't know what kind of numbers this combination will produce. If I can get 1.25hp per cube, I'd be satisfied. I'd prefer more, but I'm setting conservative expectations. This is more of a test than anything. I'll be updating this thread periodically as future tests are performed.

Here are the specs on the build:

1991 LA 360 Roller block
11:1 C/R (verified)
Ross Racing 0.030" pistons
4.120" forged crank from Ohio Crankshaft
6.2 Chevy Rods
1.6 HS Rockers
Bullet Roller Cam: .601 int/.601 ex (fig. using the 1.6 ra) - 108 LSA - 236/242
Morel 6072 Lifters
Trick Flow Heads
Trick Flow Intake
Quick Fuel Brawler 850 carb
Ishihira-Johnson Crank Scrapers
KEVKO 7qt pan
ARP everything
MSD everything
Exhaust: We'll be using a set of 1 3/4" LT headers from the dyno shop.

Once the engine dyno is completed, Cope Transmissions will be using that data to select an appropriate converter stall for my 904 transmission. After that we'll progress to a chassis dyno and tune the entire combo from there. In the Spring, I'll start testing at the local 1/8 mile and get some real-life *** dyno results. This will be going into a 72' Scamp as a street/strip car. (More on that later).

***When Ross made my pistons, I had them add extra material around the crown so I can add nitrous in the future. For the sake of transparency, the rings were appropriately gapped for nitrous (150 jet). That will likely factor into the dyno results, so I wanted to make mention of it.

Here's the TF intake next to an Indy 360-1 intake for comparison

Last edited:
I remember this. Glad to se this coming around.

I have a question that someone is going to ask… LOL!

The Indy intake, how well does it line up and such?
Also how tall is it?

Hyd roller?

Looking forward to the results.
Where will you be testing, and do you know what kind of dyno they have?

The header in the last picture looks like a Hooker 5204. Any reason to not use those on the dyno?

Freshly coated headers and the dyno usually doesn’t end well for the coating.

I remember this. Glad to se this coming around.

I have a question that someone is going to ask… LOL!

The Indy intake, how well does it line up and such?
Also how tall is it?

Between crazy backorder times and machine shop backlogs, this whole process took WAY longer than it should have. But everyone has been experiencing that lately, so I'm among good company :)

The Indy intake took some cleaning up. Not going to lie. This one had been on backorder from Mancini for almost 6 months and the quality, honestly, was less than I had received in the past. It's 7-1/8" tall.

The TF intake is excellent quality and it gasket matched very well OTB. I cleaned up a few casting imperfections further up into the runner, but nothing significant. I mainly did it because I'm OCD. LOL.

The height is right at 6". I will be using a 1" spacer.

Last edited:
The header in the last picture looks like a Hooker 5204. Any reason to not use those on the dyno?

The dyno shop headers have sensors on each primary tube so we'll be able to get more data using theirs. The Hooker LTs that I have are 1-3/4 as well

Hyd roller?

Looking forward to the results.
Where will you be testing, and do you know what kind of dyno they have?

Freshly coated headers and the dyno usually doesn’t end well for the coating.

Correct. They use a SuperFlow but I'm not sure of the model. This particular shop has a bunch of Pro Mod clients (that win), so I go where the big dogs go.

I'm in Oregon and might be looking for a reputable dyno, could you share whose dyno you are taking it to?

I'm in Oregon and might be looking for a reputable dyno, could you share whose dyno you are taking it to?

EastCo. Is where I had mine ran on the dyno. He uses a Superflow 902.
On burnside at 202 or so right next to the 4x4 shop.. Gresham

What power are you hoping it will make?

I'm hoping for 525-530 ish. More would be better but I'm being realistic. That would put me around the 1.25 hp per cube I was looking for.

I'm hoping for 525-530 ish. More would be better but I'm being realistic. That would put me around the 1.25 hp per cube I was looking for.
should be easy to do that with good heads i did it with crap heads

Gents...today is the day. Hoping for a good outcome. Will post results shortly

-
Back