440 Source Questions

-

69eliminator

Dad's Pit Crew
Reaction score
I am preparing to build a stroker on the 440 platform for my dad's dart. It already has a 440 in it, but it has some problems. I am looking for any information about the stroker kits that 440 Source sells. Specifically the 4.250 stroke 7.100 rod kit. Anyone have any experience with them? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

there are alot of guys useing them some will not say that they do...i got a top end kit off a guy that was running the source stuff that was going 5.0s in the 1/8 mile he was useing the stroker kit,timing set,and dist. and didnt have anything bad to say...only reason he sold the stuff was to upgrade to a bigger motor for a diff. class...im going to build a stroker soon and may be useing the kit myself for the money.....i think the biggest thing for most guys is that they say its china made but hey so is the puter they are typing on..jmko mike

there are alot of guys useing them some will not say that they do...i got a top end kit off a guy that was running the source stuff that was going 5.0s in the 1/8 mile he was useing the stroker kit,timing set,and dist. and didnt have anything bad to say...only reason he sold the stuff was to upgrade to a bigger motor for a diff. class...im going to build a stroker soon and may be useing the kit myself for the money.....i think the biggest thing for most guys is that they say its china made but hey so is the puter they are typing on..jmko mike

Thanks. As far as the China thing, Just about everything is made in China anymore, a lot of times even the ones that claim they are not.

all I know is the brand new mini started I got from them is absolute junk, its brand new and the solenoid sticks closed casing it to crank all the time or sometimes intermittently. being a 4spd car it started cranking with the key off and dented my garage door with my car.

not everything thing is perfact and i agree some things just dont work but the same thing happen to us made parts aswell...but thats just mhp..i google alot of stuff before i buy most of the time and try to get facts before cause everybody is going to have a diff. outcome....

My son And I just put a 499 kit last year in his car. So far it has been pretty good. The motor made 600 HP on the dyno.

My pictures left with my ex wife's PC but I've built several Source part kits. The pistons are decent. The rods are acceptable to some however I will always have them re-sized and pin honed. The cranks are good value. I have not had to have one turned to correct it but they have taper on them on most journals that is close to or at the factory limit, the sizes are not uniform and lean towards the larger side so clearances are a little tighter on some journals. Otherwise, good value. IMO, if you simply accept what they tell you about it being in balance and ready to assemble, you really shouldnt be assembling one. They have issues that at minimum you should know about via measuring (something more accurate than plastigage). I have no trouble using their cranks, rods, and pistons. Valve covers, water pump housings, and any electrical I wont use.

I run the 440 source 512 stroker, I had them balance everything then took to my motor builder and he said everything looked good. I also bought the girdle kit. I had to grind some metal near the oil pick up tube, also had to cut the windage tray to make it fit. I am very pleased with the stroker kit and my friends also going to build one.

I run the 440 source 512 stroker, I had them balance everything then took to my motor builder and he said everything looked good. I also bought the girdle kit. I had to grind some metal near the oil pick up tube, also had to cut the windage tray to make it fit. I am very pleased with the stroker kit and my friends also going to build one.

Me too . i have the 4.15 kit - no problems and i built it in 2007

i run the 440 source 512 stroker, i had them balance everything then took to my motor builder and he said everything looked good. I also bought the girdle kit. I had to grind some metal near the oil pick up tube, also had to cut the windage tray to make it fit. I am very pleased with the stroker kit and my friends also going to build one.

x2

My pictures left with my ex wife's PC but I've built several Source part kits. The pistons are decent. The rods are acceptable to some however I will always have them re-sized and pin honed. The cranks are good value. I have not had to have one turned to correct it but they have taper on them on most journals that is close to or at the factory limit, the sizes are not uniform and lean towards the larger side so clearances are a little tighter on some journals. Otherwise, good value. IMO, if you simply accept what they tell you about it being in balance and ready to assemble, you really shouldnt be assembling one. They have issues that at minimum you should know about via measuring (something more accurate than plastigage). I have no trouble using their cranks, rods, and pistons. Valve covers, water pump housings, and any electrical I wont use.

I've been thinking about picking up their water pump housing.. whats your beef with it moper?

IMO,
Have any 440 Source Stroker kit checked over by your Machinist very carefully BEFORE Assembly.
Do NOT Assume it is "good to go".

I have a 4.250 Stroke/7.100 Rod Kit here now.
Yours MAY be fine ?
Others I have used were Fine ?
this one was NOT !

Plik - I have first hand experience with two... First one on a buddy's 505 when they first came out. Pout water in... It would leak out overnight... Through the casting. (porosity issue) They replaced it but he had to pay shipping to CT from CA and it pushed his dyno session back because he lost the date as racing season was coming up. Second was a 505 I built for a customer. No leaks, butt he holes for the thermostat were not drilled properly, or spaced properly (holes too close to each other). I simply modified the new thermostat housing to fit and ran it. But for the extra money... If I need an aluminum housing, MP fits and doesnt leak.

Challenger - I think it comes down to the guy checking the stuff. I've seen "inspections" that incldued unwrapping the parts and looking at them. And I've done inspections that left me with two measurements per journal and the rods lubed with the proper lubricant and cycled 3 times. All depends on the eyes that choose to look or don't. The parts are average quality and good value even when you do have to fix soemthing. They are not excellent parts for great value. But average is ok for some, and in any average there will be parts that are actually perfect...lol. Just not consistently perfect...

We used their stuff a couple of years ago on a friends 440 good stuff and price no problems stay away from their water pump

My 512 with indy heads ,full roller motor made 766 on the dyno !!

I'm running 10.40s with a 440source 512 lowdeck kit, and their Stealth Heads. I've had a great experience dealing with Brandon.

-
Back