440 stroker build, have some questions

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will be building my first big block for an upcoming project and need some advice on piston selection. Im starting with a brand new callies RB block, so standard bore. My delima is 440source does not carry std pistons, only .030+. I really hate to bore meat out of the block if I don't have to and certainly don't need a few extra cubes in my application. It will be stroked around 500", have not decided yet.
So I guess im asking for opinions if I should just go with the off the shelf .030 pistons or pony up for custom pistons to keep the block standard. Wall thickness should be a non issue with this block. What do you think?

Im sure you can get really good standard pistons from Wiseco, Ross or Diamond.

Custom pistons can give you some great options as far as a long rod short skirt combo, thin ring pack and small pins. I also wouldn't hesitate to go .030 over. A good machine shop bore will make certain the bores are center lined with the crank. I'm sure the Callies block is a nice piece out of the box though.

I will be building my first big block for an upcoming project and need some advice on piston selection. Im starting with a brand new callies RB block, so standard bore. My delima is 440source does not carry std pistons, only .030+. I really hate to bore meat out of the block if I don't have to and certainly don't need a few extra cubes in my application. It will be stroked around 500", have not decided yet.
So I guess im asking for opinions if I should just go with the off the shelf .030 pistons or pony up for custom pistons to keep the block standard. Wall thickness should be a non issue with this block. What do you think?
I think if it was me and I was building something that required an aftermarket block, it wouldn't even be a question....I'd be getting the piston that was EXACTLY what I wanted...even if it meant a custom set. And like Lefty said, try looking somewhere besides 440source first.

First, make sure the block is finished honed. Some blocks are 'semi' finished & need further machine work before pistons can be fitted.

Callies blocks are advertised to come in two different RB bore sizes............

4.500" finished bore

4.310" semi-finished bore

4.320 piston shouldn't be a problem as Icon makes (or will make) a standard and other bore sizes as will or do several manufactures.

Last edited:
Don’t buy a “kit” in your case. Get a good Molnar crank and build from there. Kits are great, as is, for a street cars all day long but have some limitations including piston size availability. They also come with a “street” bearing, not really the best for racing.

Other issue is the “balance”. It’s an average balance job which is plenty for a cruiser but not if you’re gonna wind it up. My crank was off 11 grams in the rear and 4 in the front. Way to much for a good, race motor. And we had to weld the crank up as they took too much out.

I’ve got a 2nd block that’s going to get hard-blocked, studded and prepped for a Molnar stroker crank. Then we’ll build up from there for a spare motor.

I do like 440 Source and will continue to use their products that work for me. I’m still a fan. Just know their limitations and plan accordingly.

This block needs to be honed, its just rough bored as delivered.
This is going in a 71 cuda that will be street driven only. Not looking to build a race motor. I have trick flow heads for it but the limiting factor on this engine will be the six pack intake and FItech throttle bodys.

-
Back