470 going to the dyno - HP/TQ estimates

-

1967 Cuda

Reaction score
My 470 is heading to the dyno in the next few weeks and wanted to see estimates on numbers. Here is the details of the build:

400 low deck with eagle 3.91 crank and 6.760 Rods - balanced rotating assembly
Ross Pistons - 11.2 Compression Ratio
Indy SR Heads ported by Indy to flow 351 CFM @ .606 Intake and 233 CFM @ .606 Exhaust
Holley Street Dominator Intake that was extensively worked on
Cam is a Trickflow Hydraulic Roller - 296/ 300 Advertised duration and .600 lift

Dyno runs will be with a MSD distributor, Dyno supplied carb (I think he said a 950) and 2" primary tube dyno headers.

What is your guess on numbers?

IMG_2148.JPEG

IMG_2156.JPEG

IMG_2157.JPEG

IMG_2175.JPEG

IMG_2867.jpg

Last edited:
Chassis dyno or engine dyno? Looks like it’s in the car already.

Engine dyno @ Koffel's in Ohio. I had it in the car for mock up of the radiator/ electric fans and to get correct driveshaft length.

My guess is what they dyno says.

Lots of head, not lots of cam... I like this to engine to make 635 at 5500.
that's an uneducated guess. But I have ran 2 different 470 combos on the Dyno.

Lots of head, not lots of cam... I like this to engine to make 635 at 5500.
that's an uneducated guess. But I have ran 2 different 470 combos on the Dyno.
I hope you are correct as I would be really happy with that number. This motor is going in a street/ strip 68 dart that will have 3.23 gears. Hoping to drive it to work (highway) and run mid to low 11s at the track.

I hope you are correct as I would be really happy with that number. This motor is going in a street/ strip 68 dart that will have 3.23 gears. Hoping to drive it to work (highway) and run mid to low 11s at the track.
The engine is going to make great torque guaranteed.
Im kinda basing the number off of my 1st build that didn't last through the Dyno session.
( No fault of mine or Dyno operator)
I had untouched tf240 heads, untouched track heat intake, a single 850 annular booster carbs, 2 inch fenderwell headers and a solid flat tappet cam 260-264 at .050 and 11.6 compression.
If I remember correctly it made 610 at 5300-5400 rpm. But 600 ft lbs from 3k up to 4400.
It never went under 500 ft lbs through the tests up to 6300.
My new 470 is making 685-690 ish, but there's been alot of changes.
Please take some videos too.
I'm trying to get my car ready to be my engines home but I'll live through you until that happens lol .
I think your heads are going to make the difference. I was running out of air

Somebody took your line in post 6, I get it lol
I just see no point to these threads. It's gonna make what it makes. Doesn't matter what the guesses are. It's pointless, especially if he's takin it to the dyno anyway. I guess I'm just a party pooper.

I just see no point to these threads. It's gonna make what it makes. Doesn't matter what the guesses are. It's pointless, especially if he's takin it to the dyno anyway. I guess I'm just a party pooper.
If you don't like Dyno threads then why do you always show up for them hmm???
Do we have a secret Dyno lover here lol

It's going to make what it makes if you do 1 test and pull it off. Or if you're like me and 99% of people it gets tuned until it's all there or they run out of time. The information obtained on a Dyno is valuable. Just like the track or the street it's just easier on a Dyno.

The engine is going to make great torque guaranteed.
Im kinda basing the number off of my 1st build that didn't last through the Dyno session.
( No fault of mine or Dyno operator)
I had untouched tf240 heads, untouched track heat intake, a single 850 annular booster carbs, 2 inch fenderwell headers and a solid flat tappet cam 260-264 at .050 and 11.6 compression.
If I remember correctly it made 610 at 5300-5400 rpm. But 600 ft lbs from 3k up to 4400.
It never went under 500 ft lbs through the tests up to 6300.
My new 470 is making 685-690 ish, but there's been alot of changes.
Please take some videos too.
I'm trying to get my car ready to be my engines home but I'll live through you until that happens lol .
I think your heads are going to make the difference. I was running out of air
Thanks for the info....Sorry to hear your 1st build didn't make it through the Dyno session. If I might ask, what was the failure?

I'll make sure to take some videos and will try to post them but I'm not real familiar with this site and not sure if I can attach videos like I did with the photos.

I tore the car down 3 years ago and should have it on the road on the spring. (Always takes longer than I think)

Thanks for the info....Sorry to hear your 1st build didn't make it through the Dyno session. If I might ask, what was the failure?

I'll make sure to take some videos and will try to post them but I'm not real familiar with this site and not sure if I can attach videos like I did with the photos.

I tore the car down 3 years ago and should have it on the road on the spring. (Always takes longer than I think)
There was a few things but the worst of all was the rings butting and breaking the gap open wide. The engine had about 50 Dyno pulls on it though. The guy I paid to assemble it ( long story) just overlooked a lot of stuff. Head gaskets hung in the bore on some cylinders, the pistons are out of the deck .010 with .039 thick gaskets, the pistons were kissing the heads , the oil pump was partially blocked off from an fitting being in too deep. Cam Timing was advanced like 10 degrees, the rocker shafts broke because he put in the wrong bolts. Just a bunch of stuff .
Scuffed the pistons. I'm not remembering everything either.
Valve springs set up with some being 175 on the seat, some 140

There really isn't a point. I just thought it would be fun and I liked to read through other posts like this while I was building my car. I have learned a great deal by reading through comments from other members.

You have to load your videos to YouTube then you can post them here. If I can do it you can easily lol

There was a few things but the worst of all was the rings butting and breaking the gap open wide. The engine had about 50 Dyno pulls on it though. The guy I paid to assemble it ( long story) just overlooked a lot of stuff. Head gaskets hung in the bore on some cylinders, the pistons are out of the deck .010 with .039 thick gaskets, the pistons were kissing the heads , the oil pump was partially blocked off from an fitting being in too deep. Cam Timing was advanced like 10 degrees, the rocker shafts broke because he put in the wrong bolts. Just a bunch of stuff .
Scuffed the pistons. I'm not remembering everything either.
Valve springs set up with some being 175 on the seat, some 140
Wow, sorry to hear that. Hopefully the new build will be perfect.
The shop that assembled this engine has built a few for my dad in the past and he hasn't had any issues, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

-
Back