5.9 With RPM intake and Serpentine

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
OK, I know the RPM intake needs to have the coolant hose redrilled because the AC compressor covers it.

I also heard something about grinding on the compressor to fit it.

What exactly are all the mods required to install a serpentine setup from a magnum truck, with AC and a Performer RPM intake for the Magnum engine with the vertical holes?

Any pictures would be especially helpfull.

The only hacking you have to do is to the Crosswind intake because the water neck is in the way; the RPM is supposed to work fine, it puts the water neck towards the passenger side. A/C is drop in. Build away.

Edelbrock 7577 is your boy.

The Edelbrock requires the redrilling of course for the heater hose & requires long spacers & bolts to make the brackets to work
SAM_3662_zpsf134eeb6.jpg

The Crosswind when used for what it's intended for is a direct bolt with no mods to anything

do either of you have more detailed photos? My buddy is working on doing the same thing to his 72 3/4 ton

Dodge addict makes a good note about longer bolts. The only ones I have come across is in his picture. Take note to the front of the carb on the intake, you can see 2 stilt like vertical bolts. The factory A/C will fit fine.

On the factory intake, there are provisions to bolt down these two (?) struts (?)
At the rear of the triangle A/C bracket and the strut next to the Alt. As it gets close to the carb are the points to observe.
Try long bolts in a sleeve like the bolts that secure the old style Alt. To the head for strength.

I have the trap door 4bbl. air cleaner on top a AVS/Thunder with the thick (.333 IIRC) Edelbrock gasket. It just clears. The chrome MoPar valve covers have the breather in the center. Connecting it is tight. But doable.
With the factory trap door air cleaner, (like probably any other OE air cleaner) the fuel line just barley clears. A banjo fitting would help a lot instead of the straight fitting on the carb.

Other than that, yea, longer hoses, a little more wire for the temp sender. A plug for the intake water hole under the acc. Bracket. IIRC, it was a 3/8's? Can someone confirm the size?

I'll get pictures tomorrow.

When I posted the first post, I had said coolant hose. I should have been more clear. Its the coolant bypass hose that I was talking about. But after looking at some pictures of some magnum water pumps it looks like it would fit, as long as a molded magnum type hose was used.

So I was on the wrong line of thinking. Poisondart, is that nipple right above the bracket, in line with the right side "U" looking cutout on the bracket what you are talking about? I can see where that could cause interference.

EDIT: If that is the hose, where did you relocate the hose too? I cant look at a block right now, but I am thinking that there may be a place on the block itself where the heater hose could be mounted. I dont know if that would cause any cooling problems, but that would clean up the intake area a bit.

And I dont want to use a crosswind. I want to go with the RPM, since that is the intake manifold that will be used when a stronger motor is built at a later date.

NO,

At least I am not planning on using it. I am using the serpentine setup. The serpentine setup requires the magnum truck water pump. It is reverse rotation from the LA style pump.

NO, At least I am not planning on using it. I am using the serpentine setup. The serpentine setup requires the magnum truck water pump. It is reverse rotation from the LA style pump.
ah ok. I was looking at photos of the two and they looked different, but at the same time I was thinking the spun different directions. Lol at least I was half right.

Myself as well. Into the OE radiator for my '79 Dodge.
I'll letcha know if I have issues.

Pictures coming later. I'm still dicken around outside with it.

Were there any specific photos wanted or needed? Speak up before clean up!

Myself as well. Into the OE radiator for my '79 Dodge. I'll letcha know if I have issues. Pictures coming later. I'm still dicken around outside with it. Were there any specific photos wanted or needed? Speak up before clean up!
Anything and everything really. Neither of us have done this before and I don't have a Mopar at my disposal to judge or guess on. Photos of hose routing and ac setup. What hoses did you use to hook up the ac? Did you use the original condenser/receiver, drier setup?

Not really. Looks like they are running magnum from the heads on out.

The main thing I was wondering about was the area under the AC compressor. The bypass hose looks like it would fit fine. From the pictures above it looks like stock routing. On the magnum, there is a pipe that extends out from the pump that I think is one side of the heater flow circuit. Where it comes in at would be at the front of the manifold, just before the thermostat. That would be if the pipe at the pump was an outlet and not an inlet. If the pump pipe is opposite it would be reversed. In any case, a picture of where the manifold is drilled to allow the heater to hook up would be the main picture I would need. Under the AC compressor is the only pic I am really wanting to know about at this second. Although some pics of the compressor routing to the condenser, and a condenser mounted on the core support pictures would be great.

My plans are to use as much underhood magnum AC and Serpentine stuff as possible. But most of that will be at a later date. I got to get the engine running and in the car first!

Dragonbat13, mopardaddy, Getting to your posts, I did not mount the A/C compressor for use. Hooking it up requires a pipe fitter I guess you may say the title of the job is. Custom hose maker? There is a guy down the block from me that will do this, but I myself am not worried at this point. Like you said, I just wanna getter runnin.

I also have not run any hose's. There all the same size. On the drivers side of the water pump, the metal tube that can just be pulled out will just simple have the heater hose routed back to the passenger side in front of the engine. This makes the best sense really considering the Dodge truck has the route going up the drivers side.

Below is a shot that may only apply to my '79 Magnum "B" body. That would be lower radiator hos fitment. The fan is a bit bent up from a fender bender. The fan hits the hose. A little muscle and moving the hose around did the clearance trick,

Next is the OE air cleaner on top of the thick gasket and AVS Thunder carb, both from Edelbrock. I tried to use the '79 hose, it doesn't clear the best. The truck hose does better with the A/C installed.

Attachments

• Magnum 08-14 x 2 077.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Magnum 08-14 x 2 078.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 528
A few more air cleaner shots.

The first one is the MoPar chrome valve covers. The breather isin the middle of the cover and to connect it to the air cleaners tube, the hose needs to bend a little more than what you see, this is about the min. bend allowable. When it is like this, the cut out on the air cleaner for the A/C is at it's min. for clearance for the A/C's port on top of the pump.
(Bottom picture)

The hose seen in picture 2 is the truck hose. This gave better clearance than the OE '79 hose.

Back to the bottom picture. You can see the A/C's rear bracket. There is no provision to mount it directly to the intake like the stock set up does. What you need to do, if you so desire, is to find a bolt long enough and use a sleeve to create a sturdy mount. The sleave goes around the bolt under the bracket much like the alternator has bolt sleeves.

Attachments

• Magnum 08-14 x 2 079.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 575
  • Magnum 08-14 x 2 080.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 552
  • Magnum 08-14 x 2 081.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 531
  • Magnum 08-14 x 2 031.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 528
The distance I measure is approx 2+ inches.

Attachments

• Magnum 08-14 x 2 022.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 472
  • Magnum 08-14 x 2 019.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 458
This is were the A/C mounts. It is covering the heater hose spot on the intake. In the next picture, I drilled and tapped a 3/8 NPT in one of the existing holes that could be used for the temp sender.

Attachments

• Magnum 08-14 x 2 023.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 561
  • Magnum 08-14 x 2 024.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 509
No problem, my pleasure, just ask any time.
I hope tomorrow is a good day for me. I have air of running around to do. Added to theist is what is left over to comets the job at hand. I just wanna get it running. Brakes are also on the list. I'm having a heck of. Time getting the lines off the master and distribution block.
Had I remember they were messed up, I would have put them in first.

Oh! I forgot to add, IIRC, (Which is worth the check!) the tap is a 5/8 X 18 and uses a 37/64 drill bit for the correct size hole.

-
Back