$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-
I'm a visual learner and that's why I post pictures of a lot of the simple things that I do the so people who are like me get the picture LOL

But what is this drill method you speak of? That sounds quicker :thumbsup:
I was all stuffed up when I made this video, so excuse my helium voice :D My Dad was doing the camera work.... :)
Skip ahead to the 4 minute mark...

Love cheap builds, going to throw a cheap 318 together myself this summer if time allows, just because......

Also, I actually check the valves for leakage by filling the port with alcohol. I mentioned in the video that I fill the cylinder area. I actually have done both, but I prefer pour some in the actual port

did not know someone had posted the lapping 318 valve video

Did get a small jump on the valve lapping. Started with #1 exhaust and after three relatively quick back and forth runs with the drill the seat seemed to clean up well, but the valve still looked a little bit pitted. Expected the compound to be a little more thick but it was thinner than I anticipated. You could tell when it stopped making the grinding sound. I'm going for broke tomorrow. I'm sure the intakes will be fine as I'm going to use the "old" ones from the Stroker motor. Found a newer fuel pump when doing some cleaning in the shed out back
20170416_153521.jpg

Got the valves lapped in yesterday and thank you for all that helped. The word " technique" must be emphasized when doing stuff of this nature. As when I ported the 596heads on the stroker motor for the first time - the first couple you go at very easy and get comfortable with the position of everything not doing to much because you can always come back and do more. By the time I finish the first head the second seems to go a lot smoother. So a couple of things technique wise - I used a Q-tip to apply the compound. using the drill method I would run the drill with my right hand and with my left hand I'd ride the tip of my ring finger to lightly control pressure. Also I'd lift it for a 1/4 turn every so often (it makes the gritty sound come back a little), not to fast and reversing direction.
After I finished that I cleaned the heads and work area AGAIN. then lined up and started valve and spring assembly. After seeing 318willrun's video and follow said advice I'm going with the crusty 360 springs and retainers and I'll be cleaning those one at a time as I install. I think I mentioned earlier tapping the exhaust smog holes so I bought a 150 piece HF set of little allen plugs. Could have bought Eight individual plugs at Ace Hardware for two or three bucks, but this gives me a nice assortment and I'll only use 8 and the 20 and that size. Red lock tight. (Trying to get picture of wife doing this- one of her degrees is environmental engineering lol) would love to torque heads on today!

gett'n closer.... heads are very time consuming, but one of the most important components of the engine. Great heads can cover a multitude of mistakes on the rest of the build :)

Well I'm definitely not calling great heads LOL and like I said I'm not spending all that time porting. I figured putting the bigger heads with the bigger valves is the port job LOL

Well I'm definitely not calling great heads LOL and like I said I'm not spending all that time porting. I figured putting the bigger heads with the bigger valves is the port job LOL
cut 360 heads with the bowls mildly opened are a huge step up over the 318 heads, especially with headers, gears and a light car.
I'd like to see a picture of the quick bowl work :)

This is the best I got right now but again I didn't do much of any bull cleaning just ran the grinder around the pinch spot a few times and that's about it....
20170417_171130.jpg

cut 360 heads with the bowls mildly opened are a huge step up over the 318 heads, especially with headers, gears and a light car.
I'd like to see a picture of the quick bowl work :)

I did the home lapping job per 318willrun.....worked GREAT....super easy too!

Jeff

Tap those EGR holes very slow, with a very sharp tap and lots of cutting fluid. It's easy to break a tap off in the holes. And then it's a real bear to fix. I had to EDM a couple out. Just go slow and easy and clean the chips out.

Been there - done that
wouldn't wish that even on you lol :poke:

Tap those EGR holes very slow, with a very sharp tap and lots of cutting fluid. It's easy to break a tap off in the holes. And then it's a real bear to fix. I had to EDM a couple out. Just go slow and easy and clean the chips out.

Being a first timer at valve and spring assembly I read the instructions and it mentioned a valve seal installation tool? I didn't see anything til I poured the bag of seals out and as soon as I did I was able to see the clear plastic sleeve. To clean the guides I used a piece of soft copper wire to pull a small piece of paper through.
20170418_160004.jpg
20170418_144718.jpg

Heads torqued on. Not sure how to treat the lifters? I guess I'm going to clean the outside by hand and not put in parts cleaner. Put some assembly lube and run it. It looks like a mess ! ....
20170418_170546.jpg

Almost forgot witch way rocker shafts go! Went with slot down and front ds and down and back ps. It may have been wrong before. I was happy to be able to turn some of the push rods on each side after the head shaving. I haven't put the harmonic balancer on yet as I'm concerned about its condition. But now that I have the heads and rockers on if I plug the oil pressure hole (ask why I know to do that!) I think I can throw in like 3 quarts of oil and try priming? I don't think it would come out the harmonic balancer hole and after flushing all that water at it I'd get a warm fuzzy fealing knowing the last thing that was touching the main and rod bearings was oil NOT water. Went to Walmart and got 2 filters and cheap oil. 10-30?

Almost forgot witch way rocker shafts go! Went with slot down and front ds and down and back ps. It may have been wrong before. I was happy to be able to turn some of the push rods on each side after the head shaving. I haven't put the harmonic balancer on yet as I'm concerned about its condition. But now that I have the heads and rockers on if I plug the oil pressure hole (ask why I know to do that!) I think I can throw in like 3 quarts of oil and try priming? I don't think it would come out the harmonic balancer hole and after flushing all that water at it I'd get a warm fuzzy fealing knowing the last thing that was touching the main and rod bearings was oil NOT water. Went to Walmart and got 2 filters and cheap oil. 10-30?
get some zinc in that oil before running it. Even if you go to the auto parts store and grab some Rislone for 8 bucks, get something in there... this stuff will work from Advance auto parts store. Like 8 bucks a jug
NEW (2) RISLONE ENGINE OIL SUPPLEMENT WITH ZINC TREATMENT 32 OZ x 2 | eBay

-
Back