5HP air compressor electric motor ?

-
Match the current use and I think you will be close regardless of what the HP says.
Of course bigger is better :)

What does the data tag say?? What is the frame number? You want to replace like for like, otherwise you can go off on a tangent trying to get a different one to fit because the foot print can be different, how high it sits, length of the shaft sticking out. What is the FLA, full load amps? What is the rpm? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is a dual voltage motor, meaning it can be hooked up 120VAC, or 240VAC, data tag will give what the amperage draw is at each voltage. Motor doesn't have to be big to deliver power. Compressor duty motors are wound differently than others due to current in rush and start up loads.

Look thru your yellow pages for any motor shops near you, they may have a used rewound unit on the shelf that some one didn't come back for. Cost will be in the neighborhood of 2/3 new.

Good luck.

So with my tag information above, do you think I've got a 3HP motor. ?
Yes I do. Any of the ones I have linked to will work. Just make sure three things, RPM, shaft size, and direction of rotation. The last is pretty common. these all meet these requirements.

direction of rotation. [/QUOTE said:
Direction of rotation is selected at hook up, there are instructions for which leads to connect together for clock wise, or counter clock wise rotation.

JBurch;1971204483]Direction of rotation is selected at hook up, there are instructions for which leads to connect together for clock wise, or counter clock wise rotation.
Some are not changeable. Most are not

Some are not changeable. Most are not

I just can't let this go........misinformation just sets me off

I will grant you there are some motors that you can not change direction at hook up, they are fixed CW or CCW.

Most in, my 30 years of industrial maintenance are convertible CW or CCW; I've done motors from 300HP 3600rpm drive motors on 800cfm Ingersoll-Rand Centac centrifugal air compressors to fractional HP motors on squirrel cage air circulators. All at hook up were/are given a "bump test" to verify rotation and corrected as needed.

Give this a thought..........if, if all motors were fixed for rotation, CW or CCW, you just doubled the inventory a distributor has to carry to meet their customers needs. You have to make 2 of every thing when one could do the job, not very efficient manufacturing. DUUUHHH!

Why don't you post pics of the tags
on your original motor, sure would
be easier than guessing.:coffee2:

I just can't let this go........misinformation just sets me off

I will grant you there are some motors that you can not change direction at hook up, they are fixed CW or CCW.

Most in, my 30 years of industrial maintenance are convertible CW or CCW; I've done motors from 300HP 3600rpm drive motors on 800cfm Ingersoll-Rand Centac centrifugal air compressors to fractional HP motors on squirrel cage air circulators. All at hook up were/are given a "bump test" to verify rotation and corrected as needed.

Give this a thought..........if, if all motors were fixed for rotation, CW or CCW, you just doubled the inventory a distributor has to carry to meet their customers needs. You have to make 2 of every thing when one could do the job, not very efficient manufacturing. DUUUHHH!
I dont see what you mean. r.... Most AC motors are NOT reversible!
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.c...ssor-motor-century-b381/#sthash.NKkxyCTF.dpbs

• 2 HP SPL 3450 RPM, 15.0/7.5 amps, 115/230V 60hz.
  • Open Drip Proof - Ball Bearings - Service Factor 1.0
  • Non-Reversible - CCW Rotation facing the shaft
  • M56 Frame; NEMA 56 Frame - Flat Rigid base mount
  • Shaft: 5/8" diameter x 1 7/8"
This replacement compressor motor is commonly used on the small "home/shop" air compressors. The motor is designed to be used with a belt driven compressor. Not to be used where the motor is part of the compressor head. 56 Frame motor has a standard 3" x 5" bolt mounting pattern. Horsepower is designated as SPL. Not to be used where the mount is a pivot type mount. Overall motor length 11.34"; Motor connection diagram on motor name plate. Capacitor Start/Capacitor Run.
- See more at: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.c...ssor-motor-century-b381/#sthash.NKkxyCTF.dpuf

• 2 HP SPL 3450 RPM, 15.0/7.5 amps, 115/230V 60hz.
  • Open Drip Proof - Ball Bearings - Service Factor 1.0
  • Non-Reversible - CCW Rotation facing the shaft
  • M56 Frame; NEMA 56 Frame - Flat Rigid base mount
  • Shaft: 5/8" diameter x 1 7/8"

And I am not giving miss information. kinda get under my skin you would say that. I am not talking out my ***.

Here is the tag from the old compressor motor. Should have done this from the start. But I have never added pictures easier than I thought. Also the shaft is 5/8" and the motor ran CCW as viewed from the front.

Attachments

• 084.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 164
That is indeed a fake five HP motor. HP says special. The ones i have posted will be great. and CCW is the standard direction.

"And I am not giving miss information. kinda get under my skin you would say that. I am not talking out my ***. "

Neather am I, I do this for a living.........What do you do?

That being said, it doesn't mean I am the be all, end all, know all. It just means I know some stuff you don't, just as you know some stuff I don't; all here to learn.

My point of contention is your commentary of most motors NOT being reverse able, when in fact most are...must be a bummer to have to pull your garage door closed after you push the button to open.

Three of the links you provided to possible replacement motors, Harbor Freight, Amazon, Northerntool, all three motors are "reversible" for added convenience.

To Rustytoolss:

From the pic of your data plate, the frame size you will be looking for is 56. Frame size designators are industry standards for foot print, height, distance from face of motor to base, etc. The "X" on yours tells me that who ever made your compressor contracted with Magnetec for a proprietary motor, also the SPL designation, and lack of a Cat. (catalog) number which meant the motor was never available to the general public.

I will suggest that you stay with a 3 hp motor, this is what your current wiring can support (it has worked for 25 years); you up scale to a 5hp motor, wire/circuit breaker might not support it; it would be a ***** to burn your house/shop down. It might be worth your while to check over what you have now.

Good luck.

Rustytoolss:

That "X" in the frame call out is buggin' me; it's giving me "that" feeling creeping up the back of my neck. As I stated, who ever made the compressor contracted with Magnetk to build the motors, they are 56 Frame motors, but that "X" says there is some thing else special about it. Just want to give you the best info so you can do the swap with the least amount of pain.

Call Magnetk, 800-288-8178, ask for tech support, they can explain the meaning of the "X" and what it may, or not mean to you and what you want to do.

Good luck.

Jim Burch

-
Back