65 Dart Owners Reply

-
Bought a 65 Dart GT 273 2-barrel on ebay in April for $1K. Still looks as in ebay photo, but many parts since (hate to add up). Abandoned at paint shop w/ all trim in trunk they said (haven't inventoried). Paint faded, so will repaint Brightsides light yellow, white roof, using roll & tip method, which worked great on my trailer. Little rust, probably always CA car. More photos when I'm done.

8dab_1.jpg

Mine's a '65 2-dr Sdn, driven daily. Sorry, No Pics! (yet). 360/395hp, Keisler 5-spd, 3.91:1 rear, TTI headers,etc.
These (early) a-bodies were great handling cars with just minor modifications. They are light weight and have JUST enough room for a V-8.
Aftermarket parts, while available, hardly ever fit "as advertised."
Headers probably pose the greatest fitment challenge, followed by the 8 3/4 rear axle. IF you can find an early A-body 8 3/4, you may have to modify its width (and relocate springs) to accomodate wider rims for wider tires.
Being "handy" is a must, as is having deep pockets!
KenAbody

I have had my 65 for some 30 + years. All the original chrome and vinal top.
The engine combination has changed many times, but always a small block and 904 trans. The 8 3/4 is gone, in favor of a Dana 60. It sure is a pleasure to drive. The car is very clean and straight. The rear wheel openings have been stretch 4" to accomidate the 32 X 14's under the fender wells! I have dipped into the 9's a couple of times, but currently the car is a low 10 second ride.

I have a 65 dart vert and a 65 gt hardtop. both have 318's 4 speeds, front disc brakes and 8 3/4 rear ends. both are running projects.
Doug

I bought my 65 from my older brother for $1.00 dollar! Yes way back in 1972, my brother bought a new "duster". because the dealer would not give him much $$$ for the 65, he decided to give me the car for $1.00. now look at it!

tsdart! That's a good loooking Dart you have. What engine in it? Is it white and gold interior? I have never seen a Dart convertible with white and gold interior.

Keep up the good work with it and enjoy it!

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

It's a /6 car that was wore out. we put a 273 2bbl out of a wrecked '65 dart into it, we have a 340 w/8-3/4 waiting for it.

gold & White, all stock colors on this one. It turned out great!

My bucket seats were the test seats for Legendary Interiors when they came out with the seat buns!

My bucket seats were the test seats for Legendary Interiors when they came out with the seat buns!

What a coincidence! They used my front and rear upholstery and door/quarter interior panels as the pattern for the 65 GT convertible! Their repros are identical to the originals. You gotta reuse your seat buttons though.

Heres my /6, 904 GT. When I got her back in 07, and more recently. 8)

DSC02546 (Medium).JPG

l_8c9ed8d4379e45a3ad017a04600d43cc.jpg

I have a 65 GT 4Bbl 4speed convertible all black.

Original Paint - A few dings and dents, Paint wore off on one corner down to red primer. Holy floor until I weld in new ones.
Original interior (Getting pretty wore)
Original Engine - Out of Car and at machine Shop, will be rebuilding this month.
Manual Steering, Brakes, etc.

Old Pics from 2001 when we pulled it out of Dad's barn and I finally got it to my house are at ->
watters651.jpg

watters650.jpg

watters653.jpg

watters656.jpg

watters657.jpg

Will have to look for some recent ones, like the pics in my sig.

I wish I could find the only photo I have for my first car but I had a 65 Dart 270
2 door post with a HP 273 and a three speed on the tree. Weird combo?
One of a few i'm told. Mike PS great photos of your 65's guys. I have been saving your Dart photos in a file.
I love early Darts.

I wish I could find the only photo I have for my first car but I had a 65 Dart 270
2 door post with a HP 273 and a three speed on the tree. Weird combo?
One of a few i'm told. Mike PS great photos of your 65's guys. I have been saving your Dart photos in a file.
I love early Darts.

Many more Pic's of 65's can be found on the way-way-back machine for the DodgeDart.org site.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050305175703/www.dodgedart.org/cars/63to66.html

Also, the 62 to 65 Mopar site.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/abody.html
Also look at the valiants page to see some canadian valiants.

Pretty cool to see what looks like an american dodge dart with a signet badge.
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/62-65valiants.html

Well mine is not a dart, but the Canadian Valiant Signet is virtually identical.. Even order dart parts when required
8th year on this project.. Modified interior with 4 buckets, custom dash and all electric instruments ( sorry got to get a new picture with the carpets all in..) 318/904.. Just put in the 8 3/4 this winter

DSCN0394.JPG

DSCN0389.JPG

DSCN0392.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

DSCN0658.JPG

engine bay drivers side.jpg

DSCN0662.JPG

Ken, Nice 65. What color? Any more photos? toolmanmike

Well mine is not a dart, but the Canadian Valiant Signet is virtually identical.. Even order dart parts when required
8th year on this project.. Modified interior with 4 buckets, custom dash and all electric instruments ( sorry got to get a new picture with the carpets all in..) 318/904.. Just put in the 8 3/4 this winter

Hey Ken, how much did you have to shorten your DShaft for the 8 3/4 install?

-
Back