65 Dart Wagon

-
Timbolia,in the pic of your tailgate is that the g for dodge I need the g

Hi Waggin,

I just took a look at the letters I have. I have a full set but it looks like they are for 66, at least that is what someone wrote on the ziplock I have. They are stretched vertically while the 65s like mine and yours are stretched horizontally. It looks like I wasted $10 on parts I don't need. I am sure that will never happen again. (not)

So I got a stereo from my wife for Christmas. They put it in the glove box, looks a little crappy but at least it is in the glove box and they did not cut up the car. Speaking of holes cut in the car, the rear speakers were put in the holes cut in the door panels by the PO, if you look close under the armrest in the pick can see one. Also you can see the red window frames on the 2 rear doors only, I had red going on before I put in the bucket seats!

I will post new pics soon.

Dint3-xsm.jpg

So now that I have a stereo I need to take care of the noises in the car so I can here it. First is the wheel bearing it is gettlng loud and I have been told if I ignore it too long it might lock up. Also some graphite in the speedo cable so I can hook it back up.

I might be getting new rear glass this weekend too, I found a deal online that I might have to jump on.

The guy on CL had a bunch of A body windows, including the rear wagon glass, and I got a email from him that the Garbage man just picked it up! Damnit

I am not looking to show, or even race this car, I just want a cool car to run the kids around in and run around town. Maybe someday pull a little teardrop trailer with for summer vacations. .

Funny I was thinking about a teardrop to pull behind mine some day too.8)

Exactly! Maybe an all red one for me with a polished silver stripe... My wagon will be red on red like it was orignally when I finally get some paint on it.

I just took a look at the pics of your wagon. That factory 4 speed is SWEET! Mine is from who-knows where. Do you think the six is enough to pull a small trailer? There is wiring for the lights and a hitch that was cut off. So I figure it can tow something. First I will need a clutch though.

timbo if it is a 225 it will absolutely pull one of those campers. I read some where the new ones only weigh about 700 lbs (some weigh even less I think but do your research) There are also some plans you can buy to build your own teardrop but it may be expensive to build using aluminum etc. I am not sure about clutch sizes, I know the 273 uses a 9.5'' but not sure on the /6...

Almost forgot, if yours is a 170 you may want to upgrade to a 225... the stroke on a 170 is tiny and probably not very good for towing...

Very cool. A little big though... I looked around the net and the various manufacturers claimed anywhere from 400 to 600 lbs for the small teardrops! Easy towing for your 225.

So I have a 3 day weekend and I hope to get to the wheel bearing on one of those days. I will make sure I get pics up for advice from the knowledgable members here at FABO. That and I need to get some graphite into the Speedo cable so I can hook that back up.

Still haven't gotten to the bearing or the speedo and now the brakes are acting up. First a bang/pop as I backed out of my space at work then an intermittent grinding noise. I ended up taking the kids and 2 of their friends to Disneyland instead.
But I have finally figured out how to get pics off of my new phone. I had to buy a $20 Samsung-USB cable for my free phone. It looks like I need to take the pics with more light than what is in the underground parking garage though.
Here is my new stereo with aux jack for the iPod. I had them put it in the glove box. I figure if I need a new one of those later it is only $10 or so. Stereo, 3 speakers, antenna and installation for under $400.

Photo0017.jpg

Photo0018.jpg

Almost forgot, a generous fellow member sent me the template for the rear wheel cover so I can make one of those that is not rotting plywood and does not fit. The people here are so darn great! A free seatbelt bolt around X-Mas and now this. My wife is very surprised by the support I have gotten from complete strangers.

Finally got the bearing done last weekend. Sounds so much better. It looks like I had sealed bearings in there. The guy who changed them said the advantage to those is when they fail hard like mine they still do not damage the axle. I was sure after the amount of noise I was hearing that I would need a new axle.
I feel much better about driving it now. I might even consider a road trip.

Next step is slowly tackling the rust and body work. Also the tailgate, need to see if it is the motor or the switch. There is a leak from under the dash I need to figure out before I deal with the rust. Short on cash right now so will concentrate on little stuff that I can do for next to nothing.

Haven't posted much here lately. I tried a short trip Culver City to Pomona for the Car show/Swap meet. About 40 miles each way, farthest i have driven it so far. Looks like i burnt out the alternator on the way there, jumped it twice to get home. Long story short, it is running again, doing the 6 miles to the kids school then to work this morning. If you care to read more about what I had to do see this thread I started in the electrical section. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=98544

So I have not updated lately. Mostly because I have not done much to the car. I did lose the key, what a fiasco that was http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=107133 http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=107416 http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=107246 Oh and I had a small accident http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=111720 And it got towed, that cost me six or seven hundred dollars.

But other than that it is running great, I took it for a 500+ mile trip, and the rear window is working again. I installed the sheetmetal on the inside of the tailgate. Still have to buy that hood but it will have to wait at least a month. Wife started a new job but will not get payed till the end of the month. Been hurting to the point of trying to sell the wagon a few times. If we make it to next year the wagon will start getting some attention.

I love your car. Hope with the missus' new job, things will be much better.

Thanks, I have to say I love it too. It is just that it is the only asset we own right now. We are trying everything we can right now and it is really tough. It has been a really hard year. Allready looking forward to 2011.

Thanks, I have to say I love it too. It is just that it is the only asset we own right now. We are trying everything we can right now and it is really tough. It has been a really hard year. Allready looking forward to 2011.

Timbolia! Let me know if you need some parts for your car and I will be glad to help you out.

Thanks for the support. I am waiting till I can afford the hood from the accident. But otherwise the car is running great. There a lot of things I want to do but they can all wait. I want to re-key the doors to match the ingintion. Right now I can't lock them because I have no key. But luckily I live in a nice neighborhood and no one messes with the car. (also I have a LARGE dog)

So I was going through the computer here at work and found a few pics of the wagon that are not on this thread (they may be elsewhere but might as well consolidate)

Almost forgot, a generous fellow member sent me the template for the rear wheel cover so I can make one of those that is not rotting plywood and does not fit. The people here are so darn great! A free seatbelt bolt around X-Mas and now this. My wife is very surprised by the support I have gotten from complete strangers.
Later,
Bruce B.

By chance is that template available for loan? I need to replace mine too.

Let me know please.

-
Back