65 Valiant wagon taillight wiring

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok all you spark chasers. Here is my dilemma. I have a 65 Valiant wagon. Years ago someone changed the rear tail lights and the wiring to what I have in the first pic. I no longer have back up lights. All 4 tail lights work the same. running, brake and turn signals. I hate the red plastic lens material that they put in my car. I was thinking about changing the outside lenses to the orange turn signal lenses that the Canadian body Ap5 wagon (2nd pic) uses in Australia. My problem is I want the outside orange lights to act as turn signals only. However the brake lights and turn signals share the same filament in the tail light bulb. This magic seems to happen in the turn signal switch. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this? I want the inner lights to be running lights and brake lights. The outside lights to be turn signals only. Thanks.
IMG_20180303_135106822.jpg
Chrysler_Valiant_AP6_Wagon_(16933795421).jpg

Ok all you spark chasers. Here is my dilemma. I have a 65 Valiant wagon. Years ago someone changed the rear tail lights and the wiring to what I have in the first pic. I no longer have back up lights. All 4 tail lights work the same. running, brake and turn signals. I hate the red plastic lens material that they put in my car. I was thinking about changing the outside lenses to the orange turn signal lenses that the Canadian body Ap5 wagon (2nd pic) uses in Australia. My problem is I want the outside orange lights to act as turn signals only. However the brake lights and turn signals share the same filament in the tail light bulb. This magic seems to happen in the turn signal switch. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this? I want the inner lights to be running lights and brake lights. The outside lights to be turn signals only. Thanks. View attachment 1715657532 View attachment 1715657533
I think you could use the wiring harness from a 65 Dart wagon.

Those outside ( round ) lights are back up lights .Everything else happens in the rectangular section .To change it to what you are proposing would be difficult and probably require a new wire harness and all sorts of rewiring in the switches

Ok, I've had a couple of holiday rum & cokes so I am thinking clearly now. I will run a new wire from the brake light switch to the brake light element in both inner tail lights bypassing the turn signal connector. I will leave the tail light wire to both inner lights alone (which is the second element) on the same bulb. I will move the left and right turn signal wires from the first element on the inner lights to the left and right outer lights with a new single element socket. :thumbsup: In theory this should work. I figured I would post this just in case someone had a different idea. If I have overlooked an obvious flaw please let me know and thanks for the responses.

I think for your turn signals to work (stock or as you are suggesting), you will need a wire with power to connect to the white wire you disconnected from the brake switch so the turn signals will work

For my much modified 65 Dart wagon turned sedan delivery (or panel wagon), I will have a separate fused hot wire going to my brake switch and a separate fused hot wire to the white wire on the turn signal switch. By removing the green/brown wires (turn signal wires) from the OEM taillight/brake/turn signal connector and adding new single connectors, this should give me a separate left and right turn signal to the original built in b/u lights where I’ll be using amber bulbs. By running a new separate wire from the brake switch to the former taillight/brake/turn signal connectors, i should have brake and taillights where they are normally located in a 65 Dart. The old backup wiring now goes to the new backup lights from a 63 Valiant

66D9BB64-4B9C-4895-B8F2-E01731B9351A.jpeg

-
Back