66 Dart Trim & Parts

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO, I'm hoping some members can help me with some info.

A gentleman down the road from me has a few '66 Darts at his property. Time has come for him to give them up, as he is getting older and realizing he'll never get to them. Only 1 car is really worth saving, the other have all the typical (and not typical) rust. BUT, they have a lot of good trim and other parts.

So, my question is simple.... is it worth the time and effort to pull some of the trim and parts from these cars? I'm all for getting original parts into the hands of people who will actually use them, but I have absolutely no idea about if there is any market for this stuff. Some pics below of what he has. Not the stuff from the cars, just generic pics.

upload_2020-3-18_23-8-26.png
GT Badges
upload_2020-3-18_23-17-38.png
Fender Top Spears

upload_2020-3-18_23-12-15.png

1 good grill and 3 or 4 good headlight bezels

upload_2020-3-18_23-13-33.png

The trim along the door and roof is in good shape, just needs some time on a buffer wheel.

upload_2020-3-18_23-14-25.png

The drip rail trim and the pieces that go across the roof are good too.

upload_2020-3-18_23-20-36.png

There are a some decent tail light housings/bezels.

Other than that, there is a couple of consoles, bucket seats, 2 decent doors, maybe 1 solid fender. All of the bumpers have some damage, but a couple have just a ding or two.

As I said, I don't have any idea if there is a market for this stuff or not. So, should I save it and try to find buyers?

Thanks for the input.

upload_2020-3-18_23-11-36.png

I think it would definitely be worth your time- a lot of the '66 stuff is one year only. Plus you may be surprised at how many other things you can sell off of those cars. Take lots of pictures, post an ad and make lots of early A owners happy!

I think it would definitely be worth your time- a lot of the '66 stuff is one year only. Plus you may be surprised at how many other things you can sell off of those cars. Take lots of pictures, post an ad and make lots of early A owners happy!
It certainly is. These cars are worth more in parts than they are as complete cars, especially if they are a rust bucket.
A lot of stuff on a 66 Dart is one year only.

Definitely, Early A body stuff is getting harder to find. I did the same thing for a friend down the block, he had quite a bit of early A and 273 parts.
It can be work finding boxes and packaging for the larger stuff, depends on how much effort you are willing to put into the process.
Going to need some good packaging tape and maybe bubble wrap to protect the sensitive stuff. Smaller stuff can go in a flat rate box. Once you get the parts inventoried, it tends to go smoother. You can use the search here for pricing guidelines.
Some things I sold as "shipping included", if its priced fair, they move real quick. As the Paypal account grows that will motivate you.
One thing that helped me get an idea on shipping was taking the part in an open box to a UPS and USPS offices (big price differences at times). I would get a quote using the furthest zip from me (lower 48) to see what maximum pricing could potentially be, then I had a ballpark price I could live with, it's hard to get burned that way.
Thanks for trying to pass these items on.
Good luck.

You all are absolutely correct. It all has value. Usable or easily refurbished headlight bezels, front hood chrome and clips, Rocker moldings and clips, wheel opening moldings, and tail lights are hot commodities and if in good shape will sell quickly.

And just so you know (and I'm not doubting your judgment, you've seen 'em in person!); cars that Texas boys consider to be "rustbuckets" are sometimes just "jewels in the rough" to us poor salt-drenched Northerners...

And just so you know (and I'm not doubting your judgment, you've seen 'em in person!); cars that Texas boys consider to be "rustbuckets" are sometimes just "jewels in the rough" to us poor salt-drenched Northerners...
Amen brother! I have bought sheet metal from Desert Valley Auto Parts that got my 66 back in shape. Not many repop parts for early A's.

Amen brother! I have bought sheet metal from Desert Valley Auto Parts that got my 66 back in shape. Not many repop parts for early A's.
And it breaks my heart to see cars show up at the chain pick'n'pulls out west and down south that are in better shape than what I started with, yet somebody else gave up on...

Yeah, you're right. A couple of pinholes in a fender down here and it's like "dang, that one is shot!" I'll see if I can get some pics and that way y'all can see what I'm seeing. Heck, maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

And it breaks my heart to see cars show up at the chain pick'n'pulls out west and down south that are in better shape than what I started with, yet somebody else gave up on...
A few years back I got valances, some trim and 3 beautiful door panels from a 72 Swinger at pick-n-pull. It appeared to be a rust free car.
Some idiot had wanted something from the inside of the passenger door. Instead of removing the trim panel, they bent it in half. Another
time I got all the trim for a Valiant 2 door, except the left 1/4 trim. Somebody had sectioned the rear part of the 1/4 thru the wheel house.
All they had to do was remove a screw in the door jamb and pop it off. But no, they had to bend it in half. Save as much of this stuff as you
can. A couple weeks ago I got a left tail light and front marker lights for a 69 Fury lll. I have the marker lights on the forum. A week later
this car was gone. Sold the tail light on ebay. The guy who purchased it said he had been looking for a tail light for over a year.

As mentioned these are one year only parts.
At this point to me the most important aspect is the condition of the parts. The front grill and head light bezels are good examples; they’re aluminum so most have at least tiny dings which might be ok for most that just want a presentable driver. But if they have obvious dents then it may or may not be worth it to someone and you need to have a good thorough description. Now the bezels will be easy to remove AND ship. The grill will be more difficult to remove and then you need a large enough box and shipping can be pricey.
If these parts are REALLY nice then there will be a number of folks very interested but otherwise it’s hard to determine demand and price.
I think it would be great if you could get some or most to people that could use them. But it’s also a lot of time and effort.

As mentioned these are one year only parts.
At this point to me the most important aspect is the condition of the parts. The front grill and head light bezels are good examples; they’re aluminum so most have at least tiny dings which might be ok for most that just want a presentable driver. But if they have obvious dents then it may or may not be worth it to someone and you need to have a good thorough description. Now the bezels will be easy to remove AND ship. The grill will be more difficult to remove and then you need a large enough box and shipping can be pricey.
If these parts are REALLY nice then there will be a number of folks very interested but otherwise it’s hard to determine demand and price.
I think it would be great if you could get some or most to people that could use them. But it’s also a lot of time and effort.
I would be willing to get these parts to people who can use them, but I'm not that hopeful that anyone will show much interest in the parts. I recently got some Duster trim from this same guy with the 66 parts. He threw in some 65/66 Dart trim, which I posted in some For Sale ads here. I only had interest in 1 piece.
So, tearing these cars apart for trim amd other parts doesn't seem all that worth it,to me.

Here are the cars that I can get parts from.

The bumpers look better in the pics than they really are.
0321201247b.jpg
0321201247a.jpg
0321201247.jpg
0321201241b.jpg
0321201241a.jpg
0321201241.jpg
0321201240b.jpg
0321201240a.jpg
0321201240.jpg

If that trim is in good condition for a 65-66 GT, that is desirable. I lot of the 66 parts are one year only. Right now the market is flat.
This pandemic is probably going to have unemployment rates that exceed the Great Depression for a time. Some stuff I have for years
before I sell it. The point is, that once this stuff is scrapped it is gone forever. If it's cheap, and you have a place to store it, get it.
From the pictures that 66 grille and head light bezels look pretty damn nice.

Plus I see V8 emblems- if any really are V8s, then the motor mounts, throttle & kickdown linkages, centerlinks, etc. are always looked for... and if perchance it's a 273 4bbl... and if 4-speeds... and the possibility of 8 3/4 rears is there... all kinds of possibilities and desirable parts.

-
Back