67 twin turbo dart

-
I know where your coming from. I have had the wiring harness clips melt from the radiant heat off the headers just idling in the garage. There are some pretty nice carbon hood extraction vents for other brand cars out there.

I know I might get some flack about this, but driving around tuning I noticed the hood insulation started to melt off in the two corners of the hood circled in red, due to a lot of trapped heat, thinking of adding some vents there, two types one metal and can weld them in, shown are the ones that came on my sons car, will get some smaller ones or can do vents that fit inside the rear triangle openings and just go with abs plastic like the hood scoop. Thoughts?? Auto tuning is coming along had my oldest helping me last Sunday till the left font and left rear brakes lines seeped a little and had a soft brake pedal, but now tuning to 87 on street and got up to 4 grand so I'll keep getting higher just need to find longer back roads for safe pulls.

View attachment 1716086419

View attachment 1716086420

View attachment 1716086421
Heat is a *****. I usually drive it with the hood off.

I don’t think you’ll get flack. Hell who cares, it’s your car and they’re functional. I’ve always like the vents Aaron Kaufman did on the hood of his falcon.
View attachment 1716086465

I know where your coming from. I have had the wiring harness clips melt from the radiant heat off the headers just idling in the garage. There are some pretty nice carbon hood extraction vents for other brand cars out there.

Heat is a *****. I usually drive it with the hood off.
Yeah even with the whole exhaust wrapped it was melting it good, already torn off the driver side part. True about its my car, just wondering about thoughts think I'm going to go with the abs plastic vents over the hood louvers get more heat out while driving.

Yeah even with the whole exhaust wrapped it was melting it good, already torn off the driver side part. True about its my car, just wondering about thoughts think I'm going to go with the abs plastic vents over the hood louvers get more heat out while driving.
I dont think plastic is the right decision if it’s melting stuff. Air gaps are key to keep things from melting.

I dont think plastic is the right decision if it’s melting stuff. Air gaps are key to keep things from melting.
It was mostly the adhesive on the insulation, causing the edges to curl up. Think the plastic will be fine since the heat will be escaping and not just building up in those corners.

Last edited:
my 65 dart with a 440 and fenderwell headers i simply adjusted the hood hinges so the hood sat proud of the cowl when closed. that lets the heat out just fine. my big block 66 fairlane had a glass hood on 4 pins, i adjusted the rear pins up to achieve the same thing. both ran cooler too.
plus i didn't have to cut the hood. :thumbsup:
neil.

Well went with some plastic ones, they are actually pretty thick, my oldest help I stall the one side, the mounting tape that came with them were crap, good thing I had some good 3m double sided tape. Went out for a drive this last Thursday yo my old job to show the guys the car and no issues with the plastic, car ran a bit cooler, but at a stop light could see the heat coming out and getting out of the hood. Drove the car to my parents house today and looked good in the driveway so had to take a picture. Lol do more auto tuning tomorrow with my oldest, bust after noon today. So far like these vents, plus only $21 off amazon so if they due have issues not a bit loss and the aluminum ones are about the same size on the holes so good there if needs be.

20230509_163246.jpg

20230509_163318.jpg

20230513_103233.jpg

Last edited:
Well you all were right, the plastic started to warp lol so much for heat treated and I was only on 5psi of boost just driving my nephew around the area a bit. So now its either aluminum or I could just cut some mesh I have from the left over of the canton windage tray kit and just tac weld it in a few spots to hold.

20230521_183955.jpg

Cut the mesh to size, think I'll go this route over the vents, the raw metal will be painted the black and keep the stainless the raw color, or black not sure yet.

20230522_185912.jpg

that looks much nicer than the plastic vents. I’d paint everything to match the hood.

Last edited:
Well got the holes opened a little bit more and welded in the screens, had to basically strip the paint off the hood since I couldn't get the paint to even out from the weld leak through. So will paint it tomorrow, had to get some more paint lol

20230528_121850.jpg

20230528_160359.jpg

20230528_160405.jpg

Finally finished the hood. Dupli-color semi gloss black looks more gloss black, oh well, but finished through painting, should have primer it first but oh well not a professional job lol. Also figured out how to mount the trunk badge, cut off the mount tabs since it mounts to the trunk trim panel and used double sided 3m tape, so now all badges will be on. Sons in the back round there come out to help on the 68 Valiant he will start to drive in.

20230611_113731.jpg

20230611_113739.jpg

Looks great!! .... Always good to have time to work with the kids.... I sure miss mine, now that they are all grown up and have moved to all corners of the continental United States... Enjoy it .... :)

Looks great!! .... Always good to have time to work with the kids.... I sure miss mine, now that they are all grown up and have moved to all corners of the continental United States... Enjoy it .... :)
Oh I do, it was funny I was out last weekend with some buddies fishing and my wife texted me that my oldest was missing greasy hand time lol makes a dad proud.

Drove the car over to my parents hours yesterday for the 4th, took my oldest brother and his wife on separete trips around the block and did some safe pulls away from people , still only going to about 4500 and goes lean so I'll make more adjustments when I get home tonight and update the ecu, but it pulled hard, had smiles on their faces when we got back lol

My MS has that AFR safety feature that can keep you out of trouble. Hopefully yours does too and you’re using it until you get the VE table dialed in.

My MS has that AFR safety feature that can keep you out of trouble. Hopefully yours does too and you’re using it until you get the VE table dialed in.
Oh yeah its on and still shuts it off when it goes lean. So based off that glancing down at the tach when that happens I adjust the fuel when I get back home. Going to mess with the fuel and timing a bit tonight, also ended up having a small fuel leak out of the fittings off the regulator which I tightened last night when I got home.

Is your fuel pressure boost reference line secure?

May I ask where that AFR safety feature is located? I haven’t heard about it, but maybe my microsquirt simply doesn’t have that option.

Is your fuel pressure boost reference line secure?

May I ask where that AFR safety feature is located? I haven’t heard about it, but maybe my microsquirt simply doesn’t have that option.
Yeah it is, its zip tied on both ends to make sure, think the fittings just vibrated loose a bit but I got not even a 1/4 turn of them to tighten them up. I couldn't tell you were to activate the safety think the dyno guy did when I first took my car to the dyno.

-
Back