68 Dart Project.

-
very nice.....I'm sure if you hung out a shingle, they would be lined up around the block. But that would take the fun out it.

if I lived within 60 miles, I'd be at your door before the sun came up just to watch.
---
Well thanks! If the distance was that close it would be me watching you HD!

Been sanding and buffing on the Dart the last several days. Some pics.

Machine polish on, great reflections and a nice straight body.
IMG_6494.JPG

Finally a full side shot with no hoist post in the way.
IMG_6495.JPG

Buffing the roof with the big old Makita sure is a work out.
IMG_6496.JPG

The first time the right side gets a picture.
IMG_6493.JPG

Time to give the trunk lid the treatment next.

I just realized this sweet build is going on in my home province! Will you ever make it to SIR with this car?

Cley

I just realized this sweet build is going on in my home province! Will you ever make it to SIR with this car?

Cley
---
Hello Neighbour!
There is no plans to race the Dart in the immediate future. The Dart is my winter(s) project and I need it to last me through next winter too. Besides, come spring the Dart gets put away and the other cars come home, one of them being a regular all summer long in PRO class @ SIR.

Last edited:
That's awesome! I just started street legal racing a couple years ago. I do plan to build a car for Sportsman or Pro as soon as I get a couple other projects out of the way!

Cley

October 1 and the Dart rolled in. Some pics, a picture is worth a thousand words...

The Dart was winched onto the hoist, where it would now sit for disassembly and the winter. Being tight for space, when the Dart is not being worked on it will be raised and the Camaro will be kept underneath. Fortunately, my garage is long enough that the Camaro rolls ahead and down with the Dart.
View attachment 1715246677

Being a handy guy, I built this 4 post hoist about 17 years ago. Then about 8 years back I fab'd up a rotisserie that would attach to it. Here is the Dart, mounted.
View attachment 1715246674

At the start of this job I didn't think I would bother setting up the rotisserie. Boy am I glad that I did... And I hit the centre balance point just about perfect.
View attachment 1715246675

When not working on the Dart it goes up and out of the way.
View attachment 1715246676

Once the suspension was out from under I got to work on the K frame. Removing about 20 lbs of dirt and grease, and motor mount brackets. An engine plate will be used when it comes to that time. There will be more mods made to the K frame down the road.
View attachment 1715246682

Due to years and years of a leaking windshield while sitting, the front floor boards ended up with rot. There was so much undercoating on this car that the rot was from the inside out. Here you can see where a couple of patch panels went into place. Remember this rolled in on Oct 1, 18, so yeah, I'm getting after it.
View attachment 1715246683

A picture of the bottom with the panels in place. The undercoating is coming off with a propane torch and scraper, little by little. No deadline... notice, the rockers are excellent.
View attachment 1715246684

With the undercoating gone, there is a mint mint floor, not a single dent! You can see that I've started working on frame connectors. It worked best to make the connectors out of 2 X 3 and installed horizontally. The rear floor pans are cut and the top of the connector protrudes in by about 3/8", hardly noticeable.
View attachment 1715246685

Both frame connectors are now installed and undercoating has been removed to the diff area.
View attachment 1715246686

My template for my spring boxes. Yes the springs are getting moved in board. The boxes will be home made. I have a plan...
View attachment 1715246687

I note that you installed the subframe connectors while you're still on the rotis. Did that present you any problem with the later alignment of doors, etc. I was wondering about installing mine and concerned that since the body has been on the rotis for a long time, there could be some flexing. Installing the connectors before I'm back on the floor could lock that flex into the body and cause alignment problems. Am I worrying too much about that?

I note that you installed the subframe connectors while you're still on the rotis. Did that present you any problem with the later alignment of doors, etc. I was wondering about installing mine and concerned that since the body has been on the rotis for a long time, there could be some flexing. Installing the connectors before I'm back on the floor could lock that flex into the body and cause alignment
—-
No change at all. I’ve heard that B4 too but even on my other Plymouth. I built the frame connectors while on the rotisserie. It’s been 5 years, nothing has moved. It also has door bar swing outs that I installed while on the rotisserie. The pins still drop in with no issues. The Plymouth goes down the track at 10.0 on top of it. I’ve done 3 cars the same way. All good.

problems. Am I worrying too much about that?

Been working in the trunk of the Dart, making some progress back there, a couple of pics.

Made filler panels around the fuel cell, will be able to fit the trunk mat nicely, once it shows up.
IMG_2160.jpg

Sanded on the trunk lid today. A few dust specs to get rid of and a trace amount of orange peel. 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit prior to compound.
IMG_2163.jpg

Trunk lid buffed up, ready to install. That happens tomorrow.
59745833112__122A22A4-C207-44DB-BC23-13C3542AB8DC.JPG

Work continues on the Dart. Pictures taken along the way.

Trunk lid finished and now installed. Trunk mat is going in so the cell, battery, kill switch all comes out again.
IMG_2165.jpg

Trunk lid on to stay. Weather stripping and stops yet to go on. It turned out pretty good, it previously had the full panel across the back so there was at least a dozen holes to weld up including the GT emblem holes.
IMG_2166.jpg

Got busy with the grill. It was in perfect shape, other than decades of stain on it and a cracked signal lense. Tried various products to get the shine back, but what worked the best for cleaning was the orange citrus hand cleaner. It really took the stains off like nothing else. It even took the silver trim colour off with some rubbing.
IMG_2173.jpg

Grill cleaned and freshened up now. I noticed in pictures that 68's had more than one grill? I noticed a centre vertical bar on some. What's up with that, is that a special option??
IMG_6505.JPG

Headlight pots and new seal beams went in the other day.
59769117952__A6896F8C-C07B-49D5-BDFF-4EC7467EAE48.JPG

Fitting the trans cooler now before reinstalling the grill.
IMG_6506.JPG

There's a 12 box parts order sitting at my shipping address just south of the border now, one small box is sitting in Chicago, delayed till 12/16 now, so will plan a trip For the 17th. Even have new AMD bumpers for it, not re-installing the bumperettes though, not going to drill holes in the new bumpers..
The Dart sure is getting spoiled this Christmas..

I believe there is three different variations of the 68 grill depending on model. 270 and base model are the same I think. GT and GTS are different than each other. Yours looks great. Thanks for tip on hand cleaner.

Today the transmission cooler got installed. A good time to do it before the grill or radiator got in the way.
IMG_2187.jpg

59795103835__5742B28B-3EDA-4E05-B6AC-1601BBB82343.JPG

Speaking of grills getting installed. A pair of new park/signal lenses are needed. Missed ordering those.
59795751477__BDE1F64B-9370-4CD5-8910-48BD1B426DD1.JPG

Can't wait to get those new headlight bezels and bumpers bolted on!

What a HORRIBLE build... all it does is make my car look worse and worse :mob:
in all seriousness, I can't believe the amount of detail you are putting into this Dart, amazing work

What a HORRIBLE build... all it does is make my car look worse and worse :mob:
in all seriousness, I can't believe the amount of detail you are putting into this Dart, amazing work
---
Got to love negative comments like this! Sorry and thanks! It's been a fun hobby Dart.

Your booth looks better...I have thought about making something similar to yours

Your booth looks better...I have thought about making something similar to yours
---
Definitely more work to set up but the job ends up pretty much dust free and the garage doesn't get destroyed.

Been working on the Dart, some updates for yous guys.

New front bumper and headlight bezels are on.
IMG_6516.JPG

Rear bumper and new tail light bezels on.
IMG_2217.jpg

Side shot with door handles, locks, mirror and marker lights on. Drip rail trim is on, including the trim on the tops of the doors. That was a lot of polishing..
IMG_2216.jpg

Trunk mat got installed today.
IMG_2229.jpg

Kill switch rod planning going on here. Have since obtained 3/8" aluminum rod and will thread both ends Tomorrow.
IMG_2233.jpg

Kill switch rod exits nicely, does not interfere with anything. Just need to get creative with a nice knob for the end. Not finding much as far as knobs go, not sure what's out there that's about 1" round. ???
IMG_2235.jpg

The front and rear window stainless is polished, but not on. Going to be installing the roofliner soon, not sure if roofliner can be installed with the windows in??? If anyone knows, let me know please.

-
Back