68' Dart "The Huntress"

-
Ok Turbo project is mostly done, and all documented here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=284845

As for the car itself, the next step once I'm boosting appropriately, is to get a dash pad cover, thinking the one you glue on top of the ratty old dash pad. All my dash pad is right now is foam, that I painted black so it's less - well - yellow.

After that new door panel covers - something simple, but pleated and black. The white is getting really dirty all the time.

Then, carpet, so the seats will come out, everything that needs detailing in black will be painted, and there will be more sound deadener added to wherever I can get it. This should set the interior to a very nice comfort level that looks nice and will be acceptable for a few years. I'm thinking orange carpet, or a bronze-ish color to match the exterior kind of like how a blue a-body could have blue carpet, and a red one, would have red.

Just that sad dash always annoys me...

See what I mean by the crumbly ugly foam... soon... it will be covered again.

Well, I ordered a brand new gray carpet that is real, and pressure fit, rather than the black recycled carpet i laid out myself which is now peeling up everywhere and failing. It worked ok for the time being. I also received about $100 worth of vinyl with diamond tuck pattern in it with 3/8 padding that i used to cover my door panels with.

That, coupled with some semi gloss black paint to finish the interior with, and I also ordered a pair of dash pad covers - One that goes on top, and a second one that covers both smaller pads on the bottom. Also I found some thin brushed aluminum to put on the dash and everything should couple well together. I'm always finding something to improve. I got the front two door panels done today though.

IMG_20150128_150847_zpsem4dnklq.jpg

I got my new dash pad caps in, definitly a huge difference. I also put the brushed aluminum 3m stuff on the dashboard face. Then I found a SRT-6 emblem straight from China for $6.00. To my surprise, it's actually metal, and looks nice. The dash caps make a night and day difference.

Before:

Of course I've been talking about getting the dash redone for about 2 years, now I'm about 80% done with it. I think it is turning out real well. After:

I also got some brand new kick mats, and car seat protectors for the rear bench, and got two brand new matching car seats for the kids. You guys have no idea how much the idea of matching car seats makes me happy. But it is a symetrical need I have had for a long time. lol. :D

The car is also riding around on new Outlaw IIs up front and some 195/60/14 coopers. I had to shave some of the upper arm on the right side because the wheel made contact with a part of the flash from the casting when you turned hard right. I only took off about 10/1000s of material, so it was nothing major.

I think my next want/need is some form of brake booster. I am getting spoiled driving around our '74 Dart with the power brakes and power steering, but I can live without the power steering. It's way too strong, and I feel like I'm going to fly into the other lane in traffic barely tapping the wheel. So I will keep my manual steer, but the brakes are just awesome. Anyone know what all I need to obtain to make the conversion? And is the job hard to do in one's driveway? I have a brand new MC so I'm hoping it can be slid behind it, or is it better to get the whole shebang?

I was leaning towards the whole thing as well. Right now I decided to finish off the interior, and with that comes the trunk. I got all new carpeting laid down on the inside and it looks a whole lot better. I went with dark gray cut pile.

But now is the trunk focus. I ordered some more gray carpeting to match the interior but did not have it vacuum or heat formed. Just straight carpet, and also a new battery box is on the way. I needed one that met NHRA standards. It's also going to run to a switch on the outside of the car, hopefully behind the license plate.

Then I'm doing away with the subwoofer box I made, and putting in two firewalls made of MDF, and going for The infinite baffle approach for the subwoofer. I'm hoping this further seperates the cabin from the trunk and allows me more trunk space while still keeping the subwoofer in an appropriately sized enclosure. Then I'm going to wrap the face that shows towards the trunk with the last of my diamond tuck black vinyl, add two panels to close off the trunk extensions.

I also made two small tool boxes for the trunk that are going to bolt to the firewall with spacers so the lids still open. I just got two surplus ammo cans, and added some custom vinyl that my fiancee' made, then carpeted the insides so the tools would not bang around as much.

And now:

-
Back