71 dart

-
Not knocking you,differnt strokes for folks,but why are there so many people here putting gm parts on there mopar,A mopar will handle like a road racer look at the green brick it eats vettes with torsion bars,

What defines if a part is GM, Mopar or any other brand? If I made the exact same suspension from scratch would that make it mopar or GM? Is it the car it came in what defines it? Is a t56 from a GM car different than a t56 from chrysler car? Some of the internals are different but it is made by Tremec. If you buy A 9in from Moser is it a Moser 9in or a Ford 9in? If you build a Hemi using World products parts is it chrysler Hemi or a world products Hemi? I am not saying this to attack anyone but I just dont understand what makes it one brand or another.

Hell of a job your doin. Looks great. I like the cheap front suspesion rather than a fresh purchase like you mentioned, it came crazy cheap. I think it a smart move.

T bars are fine, but bother me in the limits of tubes on the headers. Since you can weld, are home built headers out of the question?

I am very scared of your upper control arm mounts. You're going to need to reinforce those....

I am very scared of your upper control arm mounts. You're going to need to reinforce those....

I second that. Kind of flimsy looking. I would re-think the design. The two "towers" need either to be connected or gusted.

They will be tied into the rollcage and reinforced. I am in the mockup stage after I am sure everything is right they will get reinforced.

Hell of a job your doin. Looks great. I like the cheap front suspesion rather than a fresh purchase like you mentioned, it came crazy cheap. I think it a smart move.

T bars are fine, but bother me in the limits of tubes on the headers. Since you can weld, are home built headers out of the question?

It will have home built headers I will probably buy the cheapest big block headers I can find the cut them up and make them work.

I finally have an update. The frame and body are welded back together and I was able to mock up the engine and trans.
vvpte.jpg

checkout the engine setback
sp8xeo.jpg

custom trans crossmember
10h1y6w.jpg

This thread needs an update. Progress is slow. I couldnt find the correct width steering rack at a price I liked so I took one I had and narrowed it.
2nv80nb.jpg

2jc66wl.jpg

5ey99v.jpg

2mx3583.jpg

15ebiht.jpg

2hgwjty.jpg

35i1507.jpg

The finished product
2mlnq.jpg

Great recycling there on your steering rack.
How did you go about re-uniting the body and frame?

Man all I can say, is that thing is sic, sic ,sic! Keep up the work.

Great recycling there on your steering rack.
How did you go about re-uniting the body and frame?

The frame fits between the pinchwelds so I welded the pinch weld to the new frame.I had to make a filler panel for the top because the rocker doesnt go straight up on the inside of the car. I will also attach parts of the cage to the body. I will try to post some pics tonight.

That video is GREAT!!....great driving, dang.

Are you using the vette factory specs on the front suspension?? How did you go about placing the rack?? ie, control arms placement in relation to each other, frame, and the rack.

Dud.. awsome fab work. Are you keeping any notes as far as the frame and measurements and angles? I would love to do this with a Duster. Would you be willing to sell any blueprints? I would be honored if you would share your info with me for a future project.

That video is GREAT!!....great driving, dang.

Are you using the vette factory specs on the front suspension?? How did you go about placing the rack?? ie, control arms placement in relation to each other, frame, and the rack.

Ken Block is the man.

The suspension is the same as the corvette just 4inches narrower. The control arm and rack relation is the same. I would have had to raise the car to use the factory corvette specs.

Dud.. awsome fab work. Are you keeping any notes as far as the frame and measurements and angles? I would love to do this with a Duster. Would you be willing to sell any blueprints? I would be honored if you would share your info with me for a future project.

If you are interested in doing something simillar I will help as much as I can.I have all my notes but they are not very organized I would need to rewrite all of them for anyone else to understand.This is my first build and a lot of what I thought would work didn't. I would do somethings different if I started over.

That video rocked. Please be more careful with your car as it will be a fine mopar vs another crappy subaru

I am waitnig on a motor plate and trans mount so I was able to work on som other parts of the car.

Here is the final location of the engine and trans.
121wm5h.jpg

2j5o1u0.jpg

I will have some hood clearence issues.
2n052ds.jpg

I test fitted all the rear end parts
50lc1s.jpg

I built my guage panel but it may get redone. This was my first attempt at tig welding aluminum and it didnt turn out very well. I might remake it in steel.
55ksyg.jpg

What kind of ground clearance are you looking at and what's gonna be the lowest hanging point?? (exhaust, frame rails, suspension components, oil pan?)

Great work especially for a first time project.

Dude, you ain't scared to break out the sawzall and the torches are ya now?

I especially like the way you decided to chop the rack and pinion steering to make it fit.
Problems such as that would make most guys want to give up on their project altogether, but not you.

Very impressive skills you have there.

Just curious...do you do fabrication type work for a living?

I liked your answer for the guy that asked about GM parts.

After all the crap that is going on with foreign competition it seems "American" is a dying breed so anything American bolted on these cars is a good thing regardless of brand name, and you sometimes gotta put parts on the car that are a little cheaper on the wallett especially when you are truly "building" a car like you are as opposed to restoring, or restifying one like most guys are.

-
Back