72 Dart Swinger 3.6L Pentastar +T5

-
Got all the Dash wiring and most of the engine bay wiring shoved inside and under the dash. There was more room than I thought there'd be. The Classic Auto Air box made it easier no doubt. Its 1/2 the size and weight of the factory hvac box.

Besides whats on the engine and going to the headlights, turn signals, cooling fan & wiper motor, this 18" bit going to the PCM is all that's left in the engine compartment

upload_2018-8-25_14-13-5.png

Here's everything that's now under the dash.
(stock JK Wrangler dash and engine bay harnesses)
upload_2018-8-25_14-28-0.png

I'm mounting the TIPM(relay/fuse box) on the lower passenger side under the A/C box. I propped it up temporarily until I finish the mounting bracket.
upload_2018-8-25_14-21-26.png

How many wires are in that harness? A bulkhead connector would give it a more factory appearance.

There's 53
Exactly what factory would that be?
The 2013 factory that the 3.6L engine came from or the 1972 Factory that built the car?

Last edited:
Neither. :D but it’d look a little more like the engine came in the car. Course, by the look of the one guys harness on fb they come with grommets now instead of bulkhead adapters

How many wires are in that harness? A bulkhead connector would give it a more factory appearance.
Cut a piece of sheetmetal plate to fit over the square hole and rivet it in place. Then cut a circular hole in the center of the sheetmetal plate for a large rubber grommet to fit.

I was going to put a Hemi in my 63 Valiant convertible but was afraid it would put too much stress on the body. I like this 3.6L idea much more. I will be following up with this page

I picked up this 2013 3.6L out of a Wrangler. It had everything included with it except that auto trans shown. It had the alternator, A/C, PS, PCM, Engine AND Body Wiring, even the A/C and Radiator Hoses. In retrospect, I should have grabbed the Bellhousing off that auto trans but more on that later.
View attachment 1714976115

Looks like someone spilled a box of wire loom on that motor! We got a 2012 Dodge minivan and that motor pulls hard. Hate the trans but it is an 8 sp. (I think, hard to keep track of all them shifts)

Well according to the Googles, the ZF weighs ~90Kg = 200lb. not sure if that includes the TC or but it doesnt matter, it's built like a 55gal drum and typically over $2K. All deal breakers.
Yeah I don't think it's at all a simple thing to give that trans all the info it needs to shift. I was pretty sure the speed signal got sent from the ABS/Stability/TC module and not directly from the wheel sensors.

Regardless, I already have one science project on my plate just getting the 3.6L to stay running(bypass Security) as well as the electronic pedal/throttle to work well without the vehicle speed input. I really don't need to make this job any harder than it is. Furthermore, more than 5 or 6 speeds is mostly just for boosting MPG anyway, so I would never put too much effort into it. So as of today, the T5 manual is path im taking.
COOL AS!!!

Looks like someone spilled a box of wire loom on that motor! We got a 2012 Dodge minivan and that motor pulls hard. Hate the trans but it is an 8 sp. (I think, hard to keep track of all them shifts)

I got most all that wiring shoved under the dash. There's more room under there than I thought.

That year of Caravan has a 6 speed actually. TC lock up feels like an extra gear.

In case anyone's wondering

2013 Wrangler 3.6l + 2017 Pacifica Hybrid A/C delete pulley & Bracket - Power steering pump(removed)
= 64" belt
upload_2018-9-7_15-16-52.png

Last edited:
Md360. I've been watching this post from the start and I am so happy to see how great this car is coming along. Im doing a 3.6 swap but its (cough cough) fwd. Shh. Do you think there will be a problem with using only a manual wrangler 3.6 pcm, tipm, wcm w/key and a pedal? I dont need any other modules. But might just use the fuel pump, asd and run start ckts in the tipm. I saw your engine rev up on the stand, but im worried that it will only rev to 3k rpm without a speed signal. I talked to hp tuners and they said eps and traction control can be eliminated. Thank you.

Md360. I've been watching this post from the start and I am so happy to see how great this car is coming along. I'm doing a 3.6 swap but its (cough cough) fwd. Shh. Do you think there will be a problem with using only a manual wrangler 3.6 pcm, tipm, wcm w/key and a pedal? I don't need any other modules. But might just use the fuel pump, asd and run start ckts in the tipm. I saw your engine rev up on the stand, but I'm worried that it will only rev to 3k rpm without a speed signal. I talked to hp tuners and they said esp and traction control can be eliminated. Thank you.

Great! Wait, FWD? In what car exactly?

My engine still started and ran without the ABS module plugged in. When I had it only the stand, I unplugged nearly everything just to see what it'd do. All it needed to start and run was the pcm, tipm, wcm+key, ignition switch, pedal and MOST IMPORTANTLY for my manual trans PCM, the Clutch switch input grounded.[lost 6 months due to a bad alligator clip not making ground connection]

I fully intend to have a wheel speed input to the ABS so cruise and speedometer work but I'll just have to see if the no wheel speed inputs limits any functionality. I think no MPH input maybe more of an issue for an Automatic trans PCM than a Manual trans PCM. But We'll see.

In HpT, if you set the displacement in ENGINE>General tab to 0.00, it will shut off all ESP and ABS but keeps the wheel speed through out active so mph can be calculated. I may have already done this in my PCM, i honestly don't remember.

I'm pretty close to getting it test fired in the car. I'll make note of RPM.

Last edited:
Great! Wait, FWD? In what car exactly?

My engine still started and ran without the ABS module plugged in. When I had it only the stand, I unplugged nearly everything just to see what it'd do. All it needed to start and run was the pcm, tipm, wcm+key, ignition switch, pedal and MOST IMPORTANTLY for my manual trans PCM, the Clutch switch input grounded.[lost 6 months due to a bad alligator clip not making ground connection]

I fully intend to have a wheel speed input ti the ABS so cruise and speedometer work but I'll just have to see if the no wheel speed inputs limits any functionality. I think no MPH input maybe more of an issue for an Automatic trans PCM than a Manual trans PCM. We'll see.

In HpT, if you set the displacement in ENGINE>General tab to 0.00, it will shut off all ESP and ABS but keeps the wheel speed through out active so mph can be calculated. I may have already done this in my PCM, i honestly don't remember.

I'm pretty close to getting it test fired in the car. I'll make note of RPM.

It my 98 dodge neon. Im adapting the engine to a t850 out of a 2002 stratus rt v6. I have a 2.4 turbo with auto in it now. I think the 3.6 with manual will be lighter and within 100 hp of what i put to the wheels now. 378hp.

It my 98 dodge neon. I'm adapting the engine to a t850 out of a 2002 stratus rt v6. I have a 2.4 turbo with auto in it now. I think the 3.6 with manual will be lighter and within 100 hp of what i put to the wheels now. 378hp.

I tune 2.4 turbos every day(aka duster360, Needless Torque Calibrations). Its a easy platform to make power. I considered swapping in a 2.4L turbo into my Dart but want to start tuning the 3.6L crowd, namely Turbo Wranglers. The 72 Dart would be more fun and get more attention(marketing) than getting a Jeep or Challenger lol.

Why switch to the 3.6L exactly and drop 100whp? The weigh about the same but I think the 3.6 is far taller and wider than the 2.4l.

Last edited:
I
I tune 2.4 turbos every day(aka duster360, Needless Torque Calibrations). Its a easy platform to make power. I considered swapping in a 2.4L turbo into my Dart but want to start tuning the 3.6L crowd, namely Turbo Wranglers. The 72 Dart would be more fun and get more attention(marketing) than getting a Jeep or Challenger lol.

Why switch to the 3.6L exactly and drop 100whp? The weigh about the same but I think the 3.6 is far taller and wider than the 2.4l.
Ive been building and racing fwd mopars for decades. Dodge neon is slowly becoming stagnant. I think its time for a new swap and not the 3.8. The first stage is na, then some nitrous. Then i will turbo it again for some real power. Im in the parts gathering stage. From measuring 3.6 will fit. Im trying to get a 3.2 intake now. Im sure the hood will be an problem.

So a 2014 and up Cherokee 3.2 intake is suppose to be shorter than the typical car/minivan 3.6L intake?

I never bothered to measure my truck/jeep intake vs the one on our Caravan. It looked shorter and I liked to throttle body placement better(out front vs on top).

So a 2014 and up Cherokee 3.2 intake is suppose to be shorter than the typical car/minivan 3.6L intake?

I never bothered to measure my truck/jeep intake vs the one on our Caravan. It looked shorter and I liked to throttle body placement better(out front vs on top).
Yeah. The jeep/trunk intakes have the longest runners. The other 3.6 intake has shorter runners and a little bigger plenum. The 3.2 is smaller profile version of the latter intake. I just got my neon converted to ms3 too i need to play with it b4 i tare it apart again.

-
Back