72 duster 360 NA to 390 Turbo

-
Coverter will flash stall to 3k or so. I am leaving at 2800-3k and no boost☹️.

I would like to or at the least a VS7875. Subcom installed one I believe and it lights off quicky
Prices have come down and I was planning on redoing the hotside over the winter.

Something seems off. I would think you could build a couple pounds…or even full boost at 3k rpm with that turbo behind a 39X” motor. Did you degree the cam? What does your timing look like?

2-step will make a big difference either way, and on my 360 it will build 3psi at 2500rpm.

It may build a pound or 2 but this turbo is a little lazy and the brakes won’t hold and it either starts spinning or pushed the front tires. I’m sure if I pumped the brakes up and pushed the accelerator more then I have I can maybe get 5psi. I may try to test that next time. Yes cam is degreed and timing is rather low, it’s what I set it to when I installed the engine.
Turbo lights off immediately on street tires and spins forever or until I put it in a ditch!
2 step should help some of my issues. All my LS buddies say it’s definitely needed. If not, then we learned something.

I really need to spend a week dialing this combo in on the dyno which I hope is soon.

Well I’ve done nothing to the duster over the winter (worked on a dakota project) and here we are already at spring. Been wanting to get the duster cleaned and tuned up for a couple of weeks now. Had time to take it out for a nice long cruise and wash off. My cheap Bosch 044 external fuel pump decided to spring a big leak from the electrical connector after 5 yrs. Made it home without a fire luckily. Looking to change it to the Holley 340lph internal fuel pump setup. Anyone using that setup?

CFE72913-E6F8-4B12-A641-374918C9E830.jpeg

I use the aeromotive 340 in tank pumps. Highly recommend them. Zero experience with the Holley.

Last edited:
The only problem I see with the Holley is that it’s internally regulated to 58psi. I will be ok while I’m still blowthru carb but once I go injected it will be an issue.

The only problem I see with the Holley is that it’s internally regulated to 58psi. I will be ok while I’m still blowthru carb but once I go injected it will be an issue.
Crap, ow that you mention that PSI, I’m running a carb. I’ll check the link…

@rumblefish360
This regulator can be used with two different available springs, one low pressure like 3-20 psi for a carb and one high pressure 20-60 psi for efi.

Universal Return Style Regulator – Aeromotive, Inc
That's the one I’m using with the low pressure spring. The pressure at the holley efi pump is internally regulated, once I’m EFI which will require 58psi, once boost is applied there will be no upping of the pressure from the base 58. So I need to look at the aeromotive pump or buy another external pump.

That's the one I’m using with the low pressure spring. The pressure at the holley efi pump is internally regulated, once I’m EFI which will require 58psi, once boost is applied there will be no upping of the pressure from the base 58. So I need to look at the aeromotive pump or buy another external pump.
Yea you definitely don’t want an internally regulated (at any psi) pump with efi and boost. You can use fuel pressure to “crutch” too small a set of injectors if needed. And the ability to tune above 58 psi is a good one to have.

I’m using the quantum(QFS) 380 external pump, and I’ve been happy with it. I plan to add a second once I go efi.

Last edited:
Tanks inc has direct fit efi tanks with internal Walbro 450 pumps unregulated. Throw you a magnafuel 9950 or comparable aeromotive regulator on and you’re good to go

Looks like you have an intake machined for EFI but plugged the injector ports? What did you do to plug them?

Looks like you have an intake machined for EFI but plugged the injector ports? What did you do to plug them?
Unfortunately I threaded them and used a pipe plug. If I knew that these intakes would be discontinued and worth $1000, I would have done something different

Unfortunately I threaded them and used a pipe plug. If I knew that these intakes would be discontinued and worth $1000, I would have done something different

Ouch.

I’m putting a Hughes EFI intake on my motor but not planning to run EFI until next year. So I am plugging mine, but wanted a way to do it without hurting the intake.

You said you are going EFI later, right? What’s your plan?

Ouch.

I’m putting a Hughes EFI intake on my motor but not planning to run EFI until next year. So I am plugging mine, but wanted a way to do it without hurting the intake.

You said you are going EFI later, right? What’s your plan?
Either terminator x or Efi source microsquirt. There is a big price difference between the two. I have an M1 2 barrel efi intake and big throttle bodie so I will use that with some #80lb injectors. The carb combo I have works very well but I’m limited on boost with out a jet change. Mainly just want the efi for convenience and flexibility. It’s runs well like it is.

-
Back